SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

Woo hoo! Turkey FrameSoup -- Finally a Success!

sheilajoyce_gw
8 years ago

I have tried all my life to make turkey frame soup as good as my mother's and never succeeded. This year I remembered a friend had given me her old copy of the cookbook my mother used, the only cookbook she used--The Settlement House Cookbook: The Way to a Man's Heart.

The recipe said to add the gravy and drippings and anything turkey. I had never added the left over gravy, and since this was a fresh turkey, I had about a quart of extra drippings. So I saved them all, including the uncooked neck. This morning I started simmering all the bones, the raw neck, drippings and gravy with all the bones. We never have any stuffing left, but the directions said to throw left over stuffing into the pot too. After 4 1/2 hours, I strained it, added an onion and the rest of the celery left over from making the stuffing, and simmered it about an hour without the lid to concentrate the broth. Added salt, pepper, egg noodles, parsley and the meat picked from the bones. DELICIOUS! And I have enough to freeze a quart or two for later.

Comments (6)