SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nwrain_gal

Hardwood floor sealer swirls and blemishes, will they come out?

NWRain-Gal
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

We recently had solid white oak 3+ inch planks installed in our kitchen remodel to be sanded and stained in place. After the install of the hardwood fllooring the beginning of October the company came back and sanded the floors the end of October using a drum sander and a circular sander. When the sanding was done they applied a dura seal minwax stain in golden brown by hand. The next day they came back to apply the first of 2 coats of sealer. Glitsa was the name. The smell of the sealer was absolutely unbearable (my DH likened it to tear gas in the Navy!). We spent 5 days out of the home sleeping on air mattresses at my parents house. When the smell was bearable, we went back to the house to see it. I noticed that it had swirl marks all over the floor surface and little air bubble blemished throughout as well. No matter where you looked, there they were!

The company has to come back in another 2 weeks to do the final coat of finish in satin. They say they will do something called "screening" before the final coat. They tell us another "2" days out of the house...even though we know it will be more due to the smell. Our GC told us that all those imperfections we see, the swirls and the bubble will disappear in this last round.

We are enclosing a couple of pics of the swirls that you can see around the light refections. The bubble blemishes are there too, just not as visible with our camera.

We are concerned that they won't. Has anyone had the same experience? and was it resolved in the final finish coat?

We have not directly asked the company about it until they come back for the final coat.

Any advise the forum can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)