SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pecanpie_gw

aging parents- followup

pecanpie
17 years ago

My previous post has scrolled off, but to my kind forum friends who gave me good advice and support re: my concern for my MIL's odd behavior, thank you again and here's an update.

Quick recap- she has 6 sons, none of whom have 'noticed' anything odd- or at least to the point where they'll leave their confort zones and bring it up to their dad, who is in denial about anything and everything. Bless his heart. All her DILs have noticed her being alarmingly 'off' in some way or another for a while now.

It hit them between the eyes last night.

We were all at an old family friends' pool party given to introduce a new grandchild- an engaging and precocious little one year old. I was holding the child and made the comment that the little girl seemed to favor the dad's side of the family and MIL said in a loud voice, "Well, THAT'S unfortunate!" looked at me and raised her eyebrows. The child's parents and both sets of grandparents were right there, as well as 3 of her boys and my FIL. Terribly embarassing, but it was very evident to her family that she was completely unaware of anyone else around and obviously thought she was having a private conversation with me.

Of course, there was stunned silence. I looked at my family members and said, "Will you all please deal with this? Amy and I have social rounds to make" and I walked off to let them handle it, or it would've been my problem. I later apologized in private to our hosts.

My BILs are not happy with me, but they've been forewarned many times that her behavior is at times way beyond normal.

If this doesn't force them to get her to a doctor, I don't know what will.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!