SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Parents...the Middle Age dilemna

neetsiepie
13 years ago

I talked to my mother tonight and I'm so frustrated and angry with her. She's not being forthcoming to me about her health, in fact, I'm sure she's lying to me, and there's not a darn thing I can do about it.

Mom told me the story of her latest doctor visit and how she had to get tests done and that the results are all 'just perfect'. Blood sugar, cholesterol, liver enzymes, etc, etc. But I KNOW she's lying. My own tests are not 'perfect' and I'm in far better health than she is!! She said Dr. wanted her to get a mammogram but she refused, told me she had one when she was 45 and she was so bruised she couldn't wear a bra for a week so she hasn't gotten another one. That was 25 years ago!! She also said she refused a colonoscopy too. Don't need one, she said.

My mother drinks like a fish. She smoked 2 packs a day for over 30 years, quitting about 15 years ago. Her mother has heart disease and has had several heart attacks, my mother has high blood pressure and has been hospitalized for cardiac 'events'. Her cholesterol was extremely high, because she'd never had it checked prior to the hospitalization.

She told me that cancer isn't in her bloodline like it is in mine (my Dad died of esophageal & lung cancer and my Dad's Aunt died of BC at 80 yrs old), so she doesn't need a mammogram or other tests.

Mom is also at least 50 lbs overweight, too. She and her husband eat fast food frequently, while on a 3 week vacation they ate at McDonalds EVERY DAY, because they knew the food would be consistent.

So, what do I do? At the rate she's going, I'm seriously doubting she'll be around in 5 years; in fact, I wouldn't give her 2 years. Nagging her won't help. I've thought about trying to bring my siblings into an intervention, and including the grandkids, but I'm afraid she'll just pay us lip service.

Mom is terrified of cancer, I know that is why she's unwilling to do anything diagnostic. Should I tell her I think she's being selfish, and it's not fair to her children and grandchildren if we have to pull the plug on her? Or that she'll possibly deny us quality time with her if she gets what is likely an inevitable diagnosis of some life threatening disease when it's too late to treat?

I feel like I'm being selfish, but dang it...I lost my Dad far too young, and last year we had to take my FIL off life support because he failed to follow up with his cardiologist and take the medications that would have kept him around for at least a dozen more years. I would never, ever want to put my kids through that.

Thanks for letting me vent. Any suggestions?? My mother is a stubborn, stubborn woman. But she IS my mother, for all her faults, and I would like her to stick around!

Comments (13)