SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amj0517

Prednisone for your dog

amj0517
12 years ago

There seems to be a lot of good opinions and advice regarding pets here, so I'll run one by you too.

My 8 year old Lab has been itchy for basically his whole life. The vet just said it is allergies and recommended Benedryl, as needed (he provided the dosage). Lately it seems that Rocky has been itching more than usual so when I had him at the vet for an ear infection I asked if there was anything else we can do for him. Rocky wakes everyone in the house at night with his itching and licking. If I am this miserable with it all, I can only imagine how badly Rocky must feel.

The vet put him on prednisone and said that there will be an increase in thirst and urination. That was an understatement! Rocky has had maybe 3 accidents in the house his whole life prior to this med. He has had 3-4 a day since being on it. After two days I called the vet and they told me to split the pills to lower the dosage (since you cannot stop the drug cold-turkey). Rocky still has accidents. It's not that he goes to the door and barks and I'm not letting him out on time. He just goes; like he doesn't even know it is coming.

If any of you have used prednisone with dogs, did you have a similar experience? The vet said I was giving Rocky a low dose of Benedryl, so I am wondering if I should just wean him from the prednisone and then increase his Benedryl dosage. I won't do anything without my vets blessing first, but really wanted to hear if they benefit of prednisone outweights these problems. He is supposed to be on it for 4 weeks (2 pills/day for 7 days, then 1 pill/day for 7 days, then one pill every other day till gone). We are on day 4, I think.

I'm tired of cleaning rugs and it is just too hot for Rocky to spend all day outside (not to mention that he is my shadow and won't stay outside for long periods of time unless I'm with him).

Thanks.

Comments (20)

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Amj! As you well know, I don't have a dog, but have a cat with a quite an itchy, problematic ear! We've gone on and off Prednisone several times. We did not notice a change in the urination schedule or thirst level, but a friend of mine who has a Siberian Husky did experience these side-effects when her dog was on it. She couldn't stand it! Furthermore, there are serious health problems that can stem from long-term use of steroids, so your vet may actually prefer that you take breaks from the drug. So, if you can find an alternative that actually relieves the itching, and Bendadryl may be one, you'd be wise to use it, imo, (if your vet endorses it, of course.)

Sorry you are going through this with Rocky. It's very hard to see your little one in such discomfort. For more than a year, the vets said Jasmine's ear prob was due to allergies. (Then they found a polyp.) With animals, it's hard to pinpoint what they are allergic to...it could be the grass! We thought for a time it might be a food allergy, & fed her the expensive, low-allergen food for a couple of years to no avail.

These health care matters can be complicated. I wish you an accurate diagnosis for Rocky, and an effective, safe treatment that brings not only relief, but a cure, if possible.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Just wanted to let you know long term prednisone use in pets can bring on diabetes. The good news is, if it does, the diabetes sometimes goes away when the prednisone is stopped (not right away, but within a few months).

Do you feed your Lab a pet food without grain, soy, etc? Our dogs get Wellness CORE, but Wellness also has an allergy food.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wellness

• Related Discussions

Dog skin 'trouble'

Q

Comments (22)
    Long story short - My brother rescued the dog because someone was locking, abusing him in a dark basement...we got him when he was fairly young, couple years. Then my brother got a new job and was really busy so the dog would just sit at home all day alone... Anytime I was close by I would take the dig for a walk, I noticed he wasn't doing good, he would Throw up this thick mucus phlegm(lymph system) from the unhealthy kebble... So I took him in and started researching what to do to help him. I found out about raw meat... I myself, already been on a rawfood diet for some time(fruit/vege but never knew about a dog proper diet.. So I put him on raw meat bones and some vegetables and herbs I pick... He is 100% better know. He could barely breath then, today I just took him for a 7-8 mile walk in 80 degree wheather! To answer your question honestly, he did bite me fairly bad when I was really little but he was not on raw foods then he was in kibble... He was aggressive because people used to abuse him... I put him on the raw meat bones diet(BARF) and he has never shown anymore aggression. I make him take treats out of my mouth.... My Doberman snatches food more than he does! Raw diet also makes dogs much more intelligent and active... No more mucus for him, he can breath finally! Hope this helps. Joe
    ...See More

Do your dogs bark at dogs on TV?

Q

Comments (12)
    Sometimes Elvira will poke up her head and look around when she hears dogs barking or whining on TV. She also runs to the door when she hears a doorbell or knocking on TV. DH, as a joke, kept rewinding the tape and playing the doorbell part just to see if she would keep doing it. She did it every time. He was ROTFL. After the 3rd time, I said enough! Poor thing gets no respect. Clare
    ...See More

prednisone?

Q

Comments (17)
    Raven...I am on Prednisone right now, I have RA, and have been fine on Remicade until last Nov 1. I caught a head cold, which is a virus. It went to my lungs, had trouble breathing and I ended up in the hospital on Thanksgiving weekend. They did a CT scan of my lungs, and they were filled with inflammation and big spots. A lung Dr was puzzled, and he got together with my rheumatologist, and put me on a low dose of Prednisone, and scheduled a lung biopsy. The biopsy showed a lung disease called Sarcoidosis. It affects people with auto immmune diseases, and starts in the lungs. One thing, tho....one of the drugs that treats it is Remicade. My Rheumatologist said he had heard/ of another case like mine....and both lung DR and Rheumy started investigating, they put me on a relatively high dose of Prednisone....and in a week, I was feeling good, breathing good, etc. Never realized why people were so worried about me. I lost 30 lbs during all this. Information is, that the TNF inhibitor drugs (Remicade/Humera/Embrel) that are commonly used now, react the opposite in some people with an unidentified enzyme or protein - when they contract any virus. Instead of inhibiting TNF, they accelerate it...and thus the Sarcoidosis. The only way to diagnose it is through biopsy and full battery of tests. No way to identify who is at risk with these drugs. I am feeling great...next week's CT scan will tell us if the Prednisone is really working. Starting to step down from it....and, of course, the Remicade was stopped months ago when I first got that cold. My Dr is now thinking of Orencia for the RA(no TNF inhibition)...I can never take the TNF drugs again. Ask your DR to investigate.
    ...See More

use of prednisone

Q

Comments (7)
    My Aleksander had bad allergies that were mostly controlled with diet and immunotherapy shots. But he still had issues during certain times a year. I'd give him about a 1 mg/kg dose twice a day, then skip a couple of days, and if he needed it give it again. Pretty much just as needed. But I didn't have to give it continuously after I started the immunotherapy. Aleksander had severe liver reactions to pred- his ALKP went up over 10 times normal even when I dosed him as above, and it lasted for months afterwards. But in the long run, he did better with a short quick burst of pred rather than long term lose doses. And his liver was never truly hurt by it, just messed up his bloodwork.
    ...See More
  • User
    12 years ago

When our vet first prescribed prednisone for our cat, she explained it's long term use can cause severe liver problems and during check ups, it's something she's always pretty concerned about. You may want to ask your vet if this is the case as well with your dog.

• bestyears
    12 years ago

This fellow talks quite a bit about the connection between diet and itching.... a wealth of information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Fox

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Your vet knows Rocky best, so I would talk to him about lowering the dosage of prednisone. Has the vet tested Rocky to see what he is allergic to?

Benedryl and fish oil are what I try first, along with high quality food free of corn/corn products.

The Benedryl dosing is surprisingly high - 1 mg per pound of dog's weight every 8 hours. The standard Benedryl tablet is 25 mg, so for a 75 pound dog, that is 3 tablets every 8 hours.

Similarly, the fish oil requirements can be high. I have a dog being treated for cancer, and the canine oncologist has her on 3000-4000 mg of what the ingredients in the fish oil they need (the EPA and DHA). That's a lot of fish oil.

• amj0517
    Original Author
    12 years ago

He has only been on it for a few days, so long-term issues are not a problem. Like SG's friend, I've about had it so I'm sure "long-term" will not be a concern for us. Lukki, I will run it by the vet, but there was never any discussion about long-term use. Perhaps just an assumption on my part.

Rocky is not itchy now, but the accidents, gas, soft-stools, etc. must be very stressing for him. I'm sure he'd prefer to be itchy.

Rocky has been on the same food for years, and it is a high quality food (Blue - something or another). What is interesting is that during the 1 1/2 years we lived in Wisconsin, the itching wasn't as bad. It still existed, but not so bad. When we moved back to Michigan it returned.

I will check out the links from allison and Bestyears tonight when I have more uninterrupted time with the computer.

Graywings - the Benedryl dosing is surprising. I was giving Rocky 3 pills in the AM and 3 in the PM, and I felt like that was a lot. Our vet in WI said we could give 4 pills 3x per day. Wow! Now our new vet in MI said 6 pills!! Yikes. I think Rocky would slip into a coma if I did that to him. I may try 3 pills, 3x per day once he is off the prednisone. It is just nice to know that I am not going to over-dose him! Also, I've never thought about fish oil for him. I know it is a miracle for humans - why not for dogs?!

Thanks for all the feedback and concern.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Sometimes, just switching food can help. I read that dogs can develop allergies to their food if they stay on the same thing for a lot of years. We gave ours Evo, but switched to Taste of the Wild after four years just in case.

Fish oil is good. We also put about a tablespoon of olive oil in with our dogs' kibble every day. If they are sick, I cook brown rice and chicken for them.

Hope something works for you. No fun for you or the dog at this point!

• covingtoncat
    12 years ago

Hi Amj, If your Rocky has been on the same food for years, its time for a change. No one food can 100% nutritionally complete for your pet forever. You need to explore LA (limited antigen) foods and grain free varieties as well. Oy! I could wright a book .....

Anyway, online research is your friend (dog food analysis web sites are a good place to start). It was really an eye opener for me. I had thought that I was using a good quality kibble, but i was wrong.

Even amongst the top rated 5 star foods, your pet will respond better to some than others. Super high protein levels did not work out well for us (pudding poops - you know what I mean), one manufacturer did well for a while, but then our boy started loosing hair so we now avoid any product produced by a certain manufacturer. We had EXCELLENT results on Blue Wilderness (grain free) Salmon, started growing hair back after almost 2 years. We also use a salmon oil supplement to help with very dry skin and itchies. After 6 months we are rotating a new food for 3 to 6 months (completely new brand, not just a flavor) and then will go back to BW for a while.

You might also try posting on the pets forum.

• User
    12 years ago

What kind of dog is Rocky? With some breeds, skin conditions like itching come with the territory. I used to have a Golden Retriever with an itching problem too so I can relate. Just like people, animals can develop allergies out out of the blue. A slight change in the manufacturers' food recipe, changes in the environment or soils and even stress can cause itching. We're in Michigan too, north of Troy...

• amj0517
    Original Author
    12 years ago

He is a lab. The vet said being itchy is common with the breed. He has had the problem his whole life so I'm sure it is some kind of allergy. It is probably something outside, which is why the symptoms eased when we lived in Wisconsin. Different conditions, different symptoms (or lack of symptoms...) Poor dog.

Meanwhile, I'm still wait for a return call from the vet about weaning from prednisone. I left a message at noon today and was told that the doctor will call back shortly (office is 24-7). Still waiting.... I'd love to NOT give him a pill this evening if possible. I'll give the vet a little more time then I'll call again.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

We have a small dog (10 lbs) who is on a predisone mix pill right now. She has allergies/sensitivities. When she was spayed, she had a sensitivity to the sutures! She's sensitive to fleas, some pollens and some foods. She has only had steriods for a reaction that an antihistimine did not clear up and only for a short period. Only once did she have a high enough dose that she wanted to eat more. The med she is on now is a steriod/antihistimine/cough suppressant. We were traveling, yes had to find a vet out of town, because we thought she had something in her throat she couldn't get out! She sounded like a kid with croup. She's done very well with the med and is being weaned off. She can also have benadryl but I only gave her that the first couple of nights. We use liquid children's benadryl for her and it's only a few cc's (3 I think, I have it marked on a syringe). Of course she is alot smaller. We also use a high quality food along with certain "people" foods. Our vet always recommends chicken and rice for a few days if she has a reaction to food. I think I am going to have to give her a nightly dose of benadryl once she comes off this med, until whatever is in the air passes. She also gets itchy feet/belly during spring pollen time. I have allergies myself and tell people she takes after me. LOL Good luck with your poch - I know that has to be frustrating!

tina

• leahcate
    12 years ago

I'm guessing you do treat him for fleas( Frontline,etc.) but just in case, thought I'd chime in. I've had two who were severely allergic to fleas. Only took one to set off a reaction. Along came the frontline type of meds and no more fleas at all, and no more itching.
    However, back in the olden days I found Dimetapp to work much better than Benedryl. This was 20 years ago and believe formulas may be different now, but it did work best.

• flyingflower
    12 years ago

Your dog needs to be on ATOPICA. It's the miracle drug. Benadryl did nothing for my dog. Nor did any of the other meds they tried. Only predisone and Atopica worked but prednisone is dangerous so it's only for short term use. You can keep a dog on Atopica for his entire life. It's is expensive but so worth it.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

FF - Thanks for that info! I just looked atopica up and I am going to ask our vet about it. It might be something good for Abby during the "seasons" when she has problems. Sounds much safer than prednisone. Thank you!

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

I've been dealing with this same problem for several years now with my dobie, Ronin. We adopted him when he was 3 years old and he arrived with a healthy, shiny coat, no hot spots . . . but scratching 24/7! It was so bad that he'd routinely wake us up several times a night with his prolonged scratching bouts.

At first our vet put him on Prednisone, but he became incontinent within hours, like yours did, having many accidents in the house. We quickly took him off that! As was mentioned here already, that drug can cause many other major problems. I would never try it again.

After that fiasco, I took him to a holistic vet who tried acupuncture on him. But, when she told me afterwards that it could take up to one year of regular sessions to see any results, I decided to look for other solutions. Those acupuncture sessions were not cheap!

We next tried eliminating all beef, poultry and grain from his diet, in hopes that an allergy to one of those was the problem. We instead fed him Taste of the Wild's "Pacific Stream" which has none of the above. It's basically salmon and sweet potato, plus the needed canine nutrients, etc. He LOVED this food, but after 2 years on that strict diet, there was absolutely no change in his itching/scratching. I'm not saying though, that Taste of the Wild's food doesn't work. It's a fantastic, very high quality dog food and its Pacific Steam works for many dogs with food allergies. We've just come to the conclusion that Ronin's allergies are not caused by foods, but by environmental factors that we can't eliminate. Instead, we now need to do what we can to counteract them.
    I do need to mention that when we put him on Taste of the Wild, our vet also told us to give Ronin one fish oil capsule a day with his food. He's been on that ever since but I haven't seen that it's made a difference in his itching.

After this, our vet had us add Benedryl. It didn't make him sleepy or lethargic, but there was also no improvement, even after upping his dosage. We took him off it after 2 months

We next started using a vet-recommended canine shampoo, Allermyl. I couldn't find it locally anywhere and ended up buying it through Amazon.com. It's approximately $27 for a 16 oz bottle, but it lasts a long time as you only use a small amount. We're finding that it does help somewhat and plan to keep using it for the foreseeable future. DH, who's a family practice doc, looked at the ingredients listed and could tell that it was created to counteract excessive seborrhea build-up on the skin, which can cause major itching problems.

About 5 months ago, after talking with a local Saluki breeder, I switched Ronin to an all-raw diet that hers are on. It's not for the squeamish, as the best thing you can feed your furkid according to many raw food proponents is green tripe. This is cut up raw intestines from a grass fed cow. But, I was desperate and this is now his diet, along with raw chicken necks, beef bones, lamb, etc. Frankly, it still turns my stomach a bit, but Ronin LOVES it. It didn't happen quickly, but in the past month we are finally seeing some major improvement in his itching.

And finally, a neighbor of mine who has two dobies (a blue and a fawn) with major skin problems told me about a canine food supplement called Nupro Canine Formula (gold can). It was recommended to her on a dobie internet forum and has made a HUGE improvement with her dogs. I've had Ronin on it for about 6 weeks now and we've seen major changes for the better with his coat and with his itching. It's not cheap, but even DH is convinced that it's working. Throughout all this, Ronin has had a good, healthy, shiny coat, but with the addition of Nupro to his diet (one scoop of the powder twice a day on his food) his coat has undergone a major change in texture. It's now very soft, even more shiny and his itching/scratching has dramatically lessened . . . thank goodness!

In retrospect, I wish that we'd taken a more scientic approach to this problem, trying and then eliminating one thing at a time . . . but in desperation, we didn't. As a result, we can't say, definitively, if the raw diet, the Nupro, the Allermyl shampoo or a combination of them are what has worked for Ronin. All I can tell you is that one or more of them has made a huge improvement in his 24/7 itching/scratching problem.

I realize that you didn't ask for all this info, but as someone who has gone through this same (frustrating, expensive) problem as yours, I thought you'd appreciate hearing what I've tried, what's worked and what hasn't.

I hope that you find your own solution soon. Best wishes!
    Lynn

• amj0517
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got the green-light for weaning from Prednisone!!! Yea! 1/2 pill a day for 3 days, then 1/2 pill every other day for 2 whole pills. I cannot wait to be done with this drug.

Rocky is on Frontline so fleas are not an issue. The vet asked the same thing.

You all have given me so much info and options on this topic. My focus now is getting him off the drug and then we'll look at perhaps fish oil and diet changes.

Lynn - I didn't ask for all the info, but I sure do appreciate it. It sounds like you went through exactly what we are experiencing.

Thanks again!

• flyingflower
    12 years ago

Tina...Atopica won't be as expensive for you because the price depends on the weight. When my 30lb cockapoo was alive I had him on 50mg daily. At the same time our 60 lb lab was on 100mg dose. Talk about expensive! One tiny little dog is not going to be near as much. Once the drug has had time to do its thing you can taper off, skip one day a week then two days a week. If you're lucky to dog may get away with every other day. You can't stop and start it because it takes several weeks to be effective. I forget now exactly how long, maybe 6 weeks. The vet will know. If the vet doesn't know about Atopica then they've fallen behind and it's time to find a better vet. I took my dogs to a Veterinary Allergist. Yeah, they really exist! When I told him all the things we tried with our regular vet he said it's time for Atopica. I didn't want to at first because of the cost but after I had tried everything I went back and said OK, I'm ready to do whatever it takes, just make this stop, my dog is suffering. We put him on Atopica and I could hear the angels singing. lol. We're even at the point where he can go off the med depending on the season.

I am still careful about his diet even though I am convinced it's the grasses and pollen that are causing his allergies. I feed him lamb or duck with either rice or potatoes. The Allergist told me NO chicken. I feed him Wellness Simple dry food and a variety of canned foods (Halo, Wellness, AvoDerm, Vitality, Holistic Select). The ZD food had no effect on his allergy so I stopped wasting money on that. If I see "meal" as an ingredient I avoid it. Absolutely no gluten. No preservatives, artificial anything, no wheat or soy. Vegetables are good. You also gotta check the ingredients in the dog biscuits.

OH...one more thing about starting a dog on Atopica (generic is cyclosporine but some dogs don't do as well on the generic so you have to experiment to find out). Atopica can give some dog's a tummy upset. My cockapoo never had a problem but the lab would throw up. The vet told me not to wait so long after a meal. They tell you to give it to a dog on an empty stomach but 4 hours was too long for my dog. When I moved it up to 2 hours after his meal he did much better. New research reveals that dogs are still benefitting with some food in their tummy. You can also give it with a little bit of food.
    Novartis gives rebates, the vet will tell you how you can get that.

After what I went through with my dog's allergy problems, this drug was sent from heaven. The only thing I don't like about it is the price! Some day it will be cheaper but not likely during my dog's lifetime, so I just close my eyes and open my wallet. lol

• amj0517
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I recently took Rocky to a new vet to have a lump tested. Although I liked the vet office who prescribed the Prednisone, they were such a large outfit that I felt like a number. With the fear of cancer lingering in my mind, I decided to go to a smaller office where the vets could get to know us (the vet is actually the parent of my son's classmate).

Anyway, the lump is not cancerous (thankfully). It is just a fatty growth. Of course I mentioned Rocky's issues with being itchy, our problems with Prednisone, and the fact that Benedryl no longer seems to help him. I feel like this vet and I see eye-to-eye. She usually tries to avoid the use of a steroids for long-term use and wants to try Rocky on the dermatologic diet to test for a true food allergy. She actually got us a 12-week free trial of the food. We have not received it yet, but I am so excited that this may finally provide relief for Rocky. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

• flyingflower
    12 years ago

If the special diet fails then will you listen to me? ATOPICA!!

• amj0517
    Original Author
    12 years ago

flyingflower - I honestly forgot about the Atopica suggestion until I reread this thread. I will see the vet tomorrow or next week at school and I will be sure to ask her about it. Thanks for the reminder.