SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Memo to parents of younger and older children

joyfulguy
14 years ago

It seems to me that we've got things so busy with our children, with all of their scheduled (dare one say, "regimented"?) activities, that a number of people familiar with the workings of childhood lament that they have so little time for unstructured play, to learn how to figure things out, deal with issues relating to other children, etc.

And I regret that I am about to offer a suggestion that will add some more complexity to their lives ... but I feel that it's a necessary part of the development of young people's lives.

I read a thread here the other day, where a lady noted that their auto licence had expired a couple of months before ... so she went to get a renewal sticker.

But - they got a new licence plate!

As their car repair guy was not to be available to install the licence for a few days, during which they would need to use their car, she was frustrated.

And I'm sitting here with my mouth open ... thinking that surely, with the few simple tools that are required, and with the simplicity of the task required to change a licence plate, surely any adult could take care of the replacement themselves!

It seems to me important that we explain to our children the workings of simple machines and operations, and the use of various tools, as they are growing up, so that they will learn how to use them and make minor repairs, thus avoiding the need to call a service person for simple tasks.

It seems to me also that children should learn how to wash dishes (will be doing lots of that as an adult) ... what's that you say? They're doing that job auomatically, now?

As children get older, they should learn how to wash clothes and other items made of fabric around the house. What's that? They do that automatically, as well? Well, isn't that a caution!

And they should learn how to vacuum, in order to keep their living space reasonably habitable ... what, they have machines to do that automatically, as well?

Many say that it's necessary to dust before one vacuums, as one cleans from top to bottom, as dirt settles as it's disturbed. Don't tell me that they do that automatically, as well? Well - only partly!

How about separating garbage and taking it out? Not automated - yet.

Even if many traditional household chores have been largely automated, I think it important for our growing children to begin to learn how to do a variety of household tasks, to help share the work among all members of their present household, and to train for the day when they will be keeping house independently.

Also they need to learn that everyone above the smallest members of a household has obligations in terms of making our homes and lives run smoothly, in order to pull their weight in the world.

This is true even in a household where Mom does not work outside the home, but takes on added importance when Mom works outside the home for she has a major job of her own and it's scarcely fair to saddle her with the major tasks of running the home, as well. Everyone should pitch in, as far as they are able, to help get the household chores done without undue pressure or hardship on anyone.

That helps them learn how to run their household routinely, so that when they leave the family home, they can take care of routine household operation tasks almost automaticcally, not adding the stress of newly aquired housekeeping skills to the other stresses that accompany setting up one's life on one's own.

And may learn that avoiding littering in the first place makes cleaning up afterward a nuch less onerous task.

Perhaps that idea of reducing making messy floors by avoiding throwing things on them may carry over into their feeling of responsibility for the city as being like their living room - so they may avoid throwing their scraps on the streets, in parks, etc.

Good wishes for you and your children working successfully toward their being able to make the transition to independent living as smooth as possible by their learning how to share household chores as they grow.

ole joyful

Comments (9)