SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe_jersey

New HVAC system

Joe_Jersey
11 years ago

Looking at a new Gas Furnace and AC system.

I will indemnify myself saying that I built houses with my brother when I was a youngster so I have a little bit of knowledge of what is going on. But just a ittle.

Bought the $50 homeowner version of HVAC-Calc and ran several load calculations. My guess is that all the SW out there has somewhat of a subjectivity parameter( I call it voodoo) where you can with reasonable confidence have heat loads that vary 10K BTUs one way or the other. With that said over all the calcs I did the average was ~80K BTUs put the 20% safety fator in and 100K BTU is the magic number. The AC load was again between 2.5 and 3 Tons so 3 Tons is what I will use. The contractors come up with close to the same. Today I have a 25 year old 120K BTU furnace and 3 Ton AC which blew out at the end of last summer so hence I am replacing the pair figuring the 25 year old furnace does not owe me a dime but I am living on borrowed time. So that is where I am. Below is what I have had a contractor quote me. I have had a couple but this is where I am leaning the prices being in New Jersey is basiclly Bend over Rover from everyone. So I need to make sure the AC and furnace are properly mated in my opinion.

Furnace Carrier 59TN6 100K BTU 10/5 warranty
AC Carrier 24ANB736a 3 Ton 10/5
AC Coil Carrier CNPV 4821A 10/5
Arzel Zoning 10/10
Honeywell Thermostats

My initial concern is that the units are Infinity and I will not be able to explioit them with the Arzel zoning. Not sure how much of a premium is in the Infinity pricing but if there were a non-Infinity set which delivered the same performance I would look at that I have the contractor looking for that. I have some issues with air flow upstairs and a Family Room on a slab where the zoning appears( the operative word is appears) will help. I am not foolish enough to think that it will suddenly be a perfect environment but any improvement will be worth the price. The house is probably like a million others where the contractor put a single furnace in the basement with single trunk with feeds to everywhere with no concern as long as some point in time the house got hot enough near the thermostat to satisfy the setting.

Can someone comment on whether it is worth the Infinity pricing when I am not exploiting it. Contractor says Infinity zoning would add considerably expense for the same deliverable as the Arzel. I did a cursury check and it appears he is not misleading me. Any duct work with the way the house is built would be a considerable expense just looking at it with past experience.

I may have to look at other manufacturers but I want to stay as local as I can and this contractor appears(there is that word again)to have a conscience with a pretty impressive no small print money back guarentee with ample references.

Comments (9)