SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sean2023

San Francisco new HVAC system

sean2023
8 years ago

Most of us in SF do no have air conditioning but after two very warm summers and a hot Fall, we are ready to take the plunge because global warming is sadly a reality. We'll be replacing a 13-year old 3 ton HE Bryant furnace with a new furnace and AC set up. The house was built in 1948, is 1950 square feet and has been insulated and all windows replaced with double paned windows. (The insulation seems to work so well that the house holds the heat on hot days which is part of the reason we now need AC.)

Dealer #1 proposes a Lennox system with 3.5 ton two-stage furnace and single-stage AC. I'm concerned that with our generally mild climate we need at least a two-stage AC system because otherwise we'll have short cycles and will waste energy. Apparently to get a two-stage system we would have to step down to a 3 ton unit. He also proposed putting in a coil defroster which seems odd to me and suggests that the 3.5 unit may be too big. I'm also concerned about Lennox based on comments on this board and Consumer Reports reliability ratings.

Dealer #2 proposes a 3-ton Bryant system, with top-end HE variable furnace and 2-stage AC.

The prices are about the same. Neither dealer did a load calculation. Dealer #1 walked around the house and counted vents. Dealer 2 I think is just relying on using the same size unit as we currently have. The current furnace has served us perfectly so that seems a reasonable assumption.

Comments? I'm inclined to the 3-ton Bryant system because that size has worked on the heating side very well. My research 13 years ago led us to Bryant and the comments here again seem to reinforce that choice for our new system.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!