SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
morgan13_gw

New quote for hvac...need thoughts

morgan13
10 years ago

Hi all,

New here and wanted to get some advice on replacing my 15 yr old carrier system. I live in inland San Diego....been in the low 100's today and the old ac is working sometimes and not at other times....guy that came to give the estimate looked at the old system and found it to be working but overcharged with freon....did not offer to do anything about it but said it could be causing the problem. So for the estimate...he is a Trane guy and gave two estimates...one for just the condenser and coil and one with the heater to be replaced. Nothing really wrong with the heater but seems very cheap to replace at the same time as the ac system....heater also 15 yrs.

1075 sq ft home

Trance xb13 condenser 3 ton
Matched Trane coil 3 ton...no load test done

$3164

With added heater XB80
$3932

Did not mention ducting or permits so I asked....said oh do you want me to look at the ducting....duh...gets in attic and says asbestos ducting and must be replaced....$1000 total. So I feel the estimate is pretty good I am a little bothered by the lack of detail.

Any thoughts....have two more companies coming in the next week to do estimates as well.

Thanks,
Morgan

Comments (26)