SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ga99

selecting a new hvac system (2 stage or not)

ga99
4 years ago

TRANE17S80A2S3T Install 3 ton Trane 17 SEER, 80% AFUE, 2 stage, cooling and heating equipment OR

TRANE16S80A2.5T Install 2.5 ton Trane 16 SEER, 80% AFUE, cooling and heating equipment.

Price difference is $2700 between the two units.

These are the 2 options recommended by the HVAC company. We are purchasing a new home and plan to replace the current system and ductwork. Both companies we had out recommended going with the 2 stage or variable cooling systems but we have some reservations about whether it is worth spending the extra money.

A little about the house:

40 years old, cedar siding on slab in Atlanta, 1760 sq ft

Oddly the ductwork is in the slab which is why we are re-running all ducts. Some has rusted out and the current owner has had many dogs in the house, so we want to just take advantage of the work being done and replace all duct work and units.

Our concerns:

While I realize we live in the South, we love the heat. I keep the AC on 78 during the day and work from home. I don't like it when the air is running. We have been told the 2 stage will be on more and blow out less and not bother me. Not sure if this is true??

The other concern is that the system will be so "techie" that if parts break/fail it will cost a lot more money and will it even last as long. (I have a new washing machine and car that prove this point)

Are we better off with the 2.5 ton or is the 2 stage really worth the money??

Comments (15)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals