SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kheflw

New HVAC System - Stage 1 not coming on - Stage 2 Only

kheflw
7 years ago

Hi, I had a new system installed last week. Please try to not make fun of my Goodman unit, I could afford it.

Goodman DSCZ18 - 18 SEER - 4 Ton - 2 Stage Heat Pump

Goodman AVPTC 4 Ton Variable Speed Air Handler

NEST Thermostat - (yea I've read the bad things on Nest, but I've gotten around most of the problems.

We've checked all wiring from the NEST - to Air Handler (AH) and Outside Compressor.

NEST is wired to provide Stage 1 and Stage 2 Cool.

When I ask for 1 degree of cool, the NEST says it is "Cooling" meaning this should be Stage 1 Cool. If I ask for 3 or 4 degrees of cool, the NEST switches to Cooling Stage 2.

The AH and Compressor always say C2 for Cooling Stage 2.

My Installer was back today to look at it. He did all the things I would expect for this visit, most important, he disconnected Stage 2 at the Compressor and the System operated in Stage 1. Now that I have read more about this, I'm not sure that proves anything. When Testing my NEST, when testing Stage 1 Cool, it says "Connecting Ground to Y1" Then when testing Stage 2 Cool, it says "Connecting Ground to Y1 and Y2. " We tried disconnecting Y2 at the thermostat, the nest only knows Cooling now, but the AH and Compressor are both still running at C2.

My guy says it's my NEST causing this. I could easily go to Home Depot and get a Honeywell 2 Stage to see if works, but I want to ask a very basic question first.

Shouldn't I be able to allow the Air Handler and Compressor make these decisions? When I disconnected my Y2 at the Thermostat, shouldn't the system think I have a basic thermostat and control itself.

Am I being stupid in thinking that asking for 1 degree of Cool should always think the system should be running in Stage 1 Cool? My guy thinks that is another problem that I'm assuming it should be in Stage 1. Things I've read say that Stage 1 should make up more than 50 % of running time.

Thanks for reading, any help appreciated.

Hef

Comments (25)