SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
georgemason_gw

2 stage vs. 3 stage HVAC unit?

GeorgeMason
12 years ago

I am deciding between 2 HVAC units and looking for some advice on which unit to choose.

#1 - Bryant Evolution 95% efficient 3 stage variable speed gas furnace, 4 ton Evolution 2 stage 17.5 seer AC. Evolution control thermostat, high efficiency media filter, 10 year parts and labor, all installation services including removal of old system. Complete price is $11,950

#2. American Standard Freedom 95% 100k BTU 2 stage variable speed gas furnace, 4 ton Alligence 16 Seer 2 stage AC. Also included digital thermostat, Aprilaire 2410 media filter, complete install with all parts, 10 year warranty on parts and labor. Compleet price is $10,900

Both installers have been responsive and have good reputations. Is option #1 a better choice to save more money over the years, and does it provide better diagnostics with the evolution control thermostat? or save the cash and go with American Standard.

BTW, I am replacing a 18 year old 100k btu single stage unit that I thought performed fine until it died yesterday. Either unit will be an upgrade for the house, but hopefully this is 18 year investment.

Thanks for the help.

Comments (6)