SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sudeva

Untreated heart pine boards (under vinyl) what to do with 'em?

sudeva
14 years ago

Hi there, everyone. I live in an old apartment with heart pine floors. Most of the apartment has the floors treated with a warm orange stain and well sealed. In the kitchen there are some awful old vinyl flooring tiles that I've pried up to discover: untreated (or really old, dusty and dirty) pine boards like those in the rest of the apartment. I'm not particularly interested in matching this flooring to the rest of the apartment; the orange stain wouldn't look all that great in the kitchen, and the landlord certainly wouldn't mind my fooling around with the vinyl and bringing up the original wood. I was wondering what was the minimum I could do to remove the adhesive from the vinyl tiles and make this a working floor. I am particularly interested in the idea of putting a white pickling stain on the floorÂbut is that asking for trouble (would I need a real nuclear-grade sealant)? I have a small amount of experience with recoating hardwood, but this is a total mystery to me. I don't mind the relatively rough, dirty state of the floor, but I'm curious about what steps I need to take in terms of sanding and so on if the roughness of the floor isn't an issue and it looks pretty much untreated to begin withÂjust dirty and covered in glue. Is there any way to treat a floor that's rough like this one currently is? Do I need to show y'all photos? : )

Thanks!

Comment (1)