SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitmu_gw

Surprise flooring under layers of ugly vinyl

kitmu
11 years ago

Did I mention layers? And layers? I lost count, but I think the demo guys took off 4. All ugly beyond belief. I live in a funky 1939 house with minimal character and am putting in a pretty modern kitchen. I'd been planning---and have actually ordered---linoleum (Armstrong Bamboo Tan) as the flooring, but we have uncovered what appears to be doug fir, mostly in good shape (but someone of course painted it..)

The color of the linoleum was very important to me; it goes with the creamy color of the Caesarstone countertops (the now-discontinued Jerusalem Sand) and sets off the dark wenge cabinets. I don't think the doug fir will go, but I'm also loathe to slather it w/ the cement-like underlayment that is necessary to get a level base for the linoleum.

Anyone have any ideas about whether or not I can stain/bleach/oil or otherwise treat the doug fir to bring it into the creamy tan colorway? Or if having a well-used, rustic floor with a sleek Euro-style kitchen would just look out of place?

I have the name of a good wood floor guy from my contracter who I can talk to, altho I'm pretty sure I know what he will say.

All thoughts welcome!!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths