SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melanie1422

Help With Pine Flooring?

15 years ago

Hi all! My house was built in the late 1940s. The kitchen was added on to at some point in the 1950s, and underneath several layers of terrible vinyl flooring is a very nice 4x1 pine tongue and groove floor. This is not the subfloor - it is on top of the subfloor, but most of it has never been stained or finished at all. I was so excited to find it!

The problem is that after taking a wall down, I have a small portion where the pine is missing. Is there any way to get matching flooring to fill in? I have checked with my local architectural salvage, but they seem to only have oak flooring.

The missing section is about 6 inches by 7 feet. The boards, of course, run perpendicular to missing slice. The guy doing my floor says that if I can find more boards, he can move the old boards so that it looks like they belong. But where can I find the boards? I am not sure what kind of pine I have - I am in the South East and the guy just said they were "pine". The rest of the house has 2 1/2" boards, so I can't take any out of a closet. I might could remove some wood from underneath where my cabinets will go...would that work? The guy didn't seem to like that idea.

Please give me any advice you may have! I'd love to be able to finish these floors. Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)