SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisazone6_ma

Made my own oatmeal bread!

lisazone6_ma
15 years ago

After reading and thinking about it for over a month now, I finally had some time so I made some oatmeal bread. It was fantastic!

I was trying to recreate the honey & oatmeal bread that this local company, When Pigs Fly, makes. Their breads are awesome, but at almost $5 for a half loaf, I wanted to try and make my own.

I have the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day book, but I haven't actually made anything from it yet - I'm wondering if I ever will as it's just not feasible for me to use that much bread. Anyway, I had an older bread book from the 70s that I had been using and they had an oatmeal bread recipe altho theirs used actual oatmeal and I used oat flour. Theirs didn't call for the honey either, but the Artisan book used maple syrup in theirs so I just added 1/2 cup of honey to the recipe.

I mixed it all and went to the sink to wash my hands and noticed the measuring cup with the melted butter I was supposed to add to the mix! Ooops!! I just poured it all over and slopped on a bunch more flour and kneaded until I had incorporated it all in and it wasn't greasy anymore and was a smooth dough again.

My crust wasn't as good as theirs - I didn't have time to haul out my quarry tiles that I line the oven with when I make pizza so I just used a cookie sheet. Next time I'll take the time to use the tiles. Anyway, it came out great. Really moist and tender inside the way I like it and it was crusty outside, altho not as crusty as Pig's.

Next time, however, I'm going to leave out the butter I think and see how it comes out. I might put a touch less honey as well. It was a little sweet, but that was the point of making honey & oatmeal instead of just oatmeal. Maybe just a third of a cup instead of half.

Anyway, I was very pleased at how good it tasted, but that's the problem - I can't make it too often because I LOVE fresh bread. So if it's around, I'm not going to leave it alone until it's gone!

Now to see if I can recreate their 7 grain and pumpkinseed bread lol!!

Lisa

Comments (5)