SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socal_ann

What Do You Eat That Might Odd to Others?

socal_ann
15 years ago

So I posted my Fruit Salad with Feta Cheese recipe on the LOTS of Feta post and that got me thinking. Does anyone else have something that you make or eat that you think might be odd to others?

Here's a repeat:

I am almost embarrassed to post this because it sounds crazy on paper but I love feta with fruit and I love the watermelon & feta recipe that jade.d posted above. This is my own concoction for sweet, salty, juicy and crunchy. I measure by eye and make enough for a large cereal size bowl

Fruit Salad with Feta:

Cut fruit into bite sizes:

1 orange segmented and juice from segmenting

1/4 banana

Add

blueberries

pistachios

5 Kalamata olives - pitted and chopped fine

Feta cheese - crumbled

few grinds of whole black pepper

I change up the fruits depending upon what's fresh - I like adding pineapple sometimes, mango, raspberries. But the base is really the citrus fruit, feta, black olives, and black pepper.

Okay it still sounds odd on paper but I like it :>

Comments (99)

• hawk307
    15 years ago

How about a 6 lb. Surf and Turf Braciole.
    This is 25 times larger than normal.

Made with thin Sliced Sirloin, stuffed & rolled.

With Onion & Celery Stuffing, Sliced Hard Boiled eggs,
    3 kinds of Olives,Chopped Browned Italian Sausage, Shrimp and Scallops.
    Haven't had this for awhile. Gotta make one !!!!!
    LOU

{{gwi:1503528}}

• stinkydavis
    15 years ago

Hot smoked tongue on diner type white w/mustard + reg milk, but choc milk is fine. Chef at company dining room used to make it Tuesdays, but eventually the regular users dwindled. oooh...been so long.

I like pickled lamb's tongue w/mayo on white + maybe bread & butter pickle chips (in the sandwich). You used to get them bottled in supermarket - Hormel or Wilson, I think.

Also like warm veal tongue w/vinagrette. This used to be an appetizer at L'Auberge Chez Francois, Great Falls, VA, so prob not so odd.

Annie - you can safely bet that guys don't kid about food. Everything else, maybe. Anyway, what are your 'secret' eats?

• Related Discussions

Do you have any idea what might be doing this?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you everyone who responded!!! I decided that I would just go out and pull them up since they were big enough...and, while I had something left to stir fry. lol Hidden in amongst the plants were tons and tons of slugs....gross little buggers! I have tons of them since my yard has turned into a bog with all the rain we have had recently. I guess i'm going to be eating a large number of eggs to crush up shells and place around my plants! lol It's been so rainy...I think the salt or sand would just wash away right now. Thank you for your help though!!
    ...See More

Cat doing an odd chewing motion when not eating?

Q

Comments (103)
    Hi first time cat mom I got my baby when he was about almost 1 month and now he's 3 months he has a habit of when he play fights and he starts to fight he chew on what seems like nothing and I taken a look inside his mouth I'm not sure if he's chewing on his gums or his tongue or the inside of his cheek but I just want to make sure it's not and internal problem or anything that is a health risk to him so if someone could help me that would be such an appreciation I wasn't sure if I should take him to the vet so they can get a good look at it but I just wanted to make a post and see if anybody could help me out with it.
    ...See More

Recipes You Don't Think You Will Like But Others Might

Q

Comments (11)
    How about this one :o) Tuna Twinkie Soufflé 1 Tbl rendered chicken fat, divided 12 Hostess Twinkies Salt White Pepper 1/2 tsp dry mustard 4 eggs, separated 2 cans tuna in oil, drained, reserve oil. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 7-inch soufflé dish with 1 tsp of chicken fat and 1 tsp tuna oil. Slice Twinkies in half lengthwise. Remove and reserve cream filling. In a large food processor, combine Twinkie cakes, half of the Twinkie filling, and the remaining chicken fat and tuna oil. Blend until the mixture has reached the consistency of a thin batter. Transfer ingredients to a medium saucepan and cook over low heat. Stir in salt, white pepper, and mustard. Remove from heat. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Fold in tuna. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold beaten egg whites into tuna mixture. Pour into greased soufflé dish. Bake in 350 oven 40 to 45 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Top with remaining Twinkie cream. Serve with a tossed salad. The author is Mike Nelson from Minneapolis, and the title is 'The Worst Cookbook in America'.
    ...See More

What do you eat on your salad when you eat one?

Q

Comments (21)
    Iceberg or romaine lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, peas, broccoli, carrots, beans, sometimes turkey or chicken, and ocassionally cheese or walnuts are some of the things I add. Top it off with low-fat or no-fat dressing. Had a big salad with dinner tonight with lots of the above stuff in it and low-fat Sweet and Sour Poppyseed dressing. Yum....
    ...See More
  • rachelellen
    15 years ago

Oh boy.

Peel an ice cold cuke, bore a small hole right down it's middle and fill it with lemon juice and tabasco...then munch it like a banana.

Home made, well fermented Kim Chee and scrambled eggs with rice.

Good quality Oatmeal with nothing but butter and salt.

Saltine crackers, broken up into milk and eaten like cereal.

Pickle juice...I steal sips when nobody's looking.

The smallest, palest stalks in the middle of a bunch of celery, sprinkled with salt. I'm very greedy about them.

Liver. I don't think it's odd, but a lot of people shudder at the thought. Good, old fashioned, chopped chicken livers...poached livers, hard boiled eggs, and red onion chopped very fine, partially blended actually, seasoned with salt & pepper, on crackers or toast points. Or tender calves liver, dredged lightly in flour and herbs and sauteed in butter until just browned, but still pink inside.

Lemons and limes. Sliced, sprinkled with sugar and munched up, eyes watering.

I must have sliced cucumbers with spaghetti, and dill pickles with pizza.

• socal_ann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Open-faced banana sandwich with butter and cold milk :)

• moosemac
    15 years ago

My weird favorites are:

Salt pork and chili sauce sandwich made with the salt pork from my boston baked beans, chilled and sliced thin, chili sauce or ketchup on toasted bread. Yum!

Peanut butter and shredded carrot sandwich.

Tuna salad sandwich with dill pickles and potato chips.

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

Finally! Someone else that eats PB & dill pickles sandwiches! LOL
    Only mine have to have BUTTER, PB, DP.
    No mayo, nothing else!

I eat beef tongue and heart, but hate liver.

Entire can of black olives.............for dessert!

Dinner leftovers are fine by me for breakfast.
    gellchom: "Oh, we'll just have whatever you're having!"

I definitely feel more 'normal' now! :+)
    Deanna

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Are all you women Pregnant ?????????

• bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago

A favorite I grew up eating: peanut butter on toast,slice a banana long-ways on that, GENEROUSLY sprinkle brown sugar on top,spread mayo on the other slice of toast and slap it on top and enjoy the best sandwich you ever ate.
    Betty

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Rach, you are not alone in a few as I do these two also!

Pickle juice...I steal sips when nobody's looking.

The smallest, palest stalks in the middle of a bunch of celery, sprinkled with salt. I'm very greedy about them.

I don't think I have anything real weird except maybe a Jelly Sandwich with potato chips crushed on it.

• greginnd
    15 years ago

I'm certainly not pregnant :) but I LOVE LOVE LOVE peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches.

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

Peanut butter & bacon sandwiches. Also fried egg sandwiches with ketchup. I also use to like sardine sandwiches but DH complained about the smell so much I stopped eating them. I also use to put anchovies on pizza. Another complaint from DH so stopped. He use to make sauerkraut omelets and drink the jucice - for breakfast. This time I complained and he stopped.

I have tried shark, alligator or crocodile (can't remember), rattlesnake, ostrich, deer, wild pheasant, wild quail, wild duck & goose, wild rabbit, squirrel, buffalo, frogs legs, chocolate covered ants & crickets. Hard to believe I use to be a vegetarian.
    Clare

• bri29
    15 years ago

I haven't seen this one yet: peanut butter, bologna and tomato sandwiches. So good! My mom and I both love them. I can't really think of anything else that I eat that's "odd." But then again, I'd probably not be the best one to judge!

Bri

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Bri : Is your mom Pregnant ?????

• jude31
    15 years ago

Dixiedog, add peanut butter to that jelly sandwich with potato chips...DD taught me that. Annie1971, I'm about ready to agree with you about them making it up. There's just enough believable to offset that, though. I like cornbread and milk also and I love fresh strawberries sliced, sugared and spread over hot, buttered biscuits for breakfast. Actually my entire family does. It's not that unusual, I guess, but none of my friends ever do that so...........
    jude

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Michael/Lyra, Elery says muskrat can be pretty good if prepared correctly. I don't know, I thought it was pretty bad the single time I tried it.

I like peanut butter and miracle whip sandwiches, but seldom eat them any more. I always mixed honey and peanut butter but now I just buy Peter Pan Honey roasted peanut butter and it's good.

ashley eats mashed potatoes topped with sauerkraut and creamed corn over it all, looks absolutely disgusting but she loves it. Elery likes pickled herring sandwiches with thinly sliced onion on rye bread but I don't think that's particularly odd.

Annie

• annie1971
    15 years ago

Thinking of you all tonight. Just got home from Jazzercise and had nothing planned for dinner except what's in the freezer and pantry. Hubbydubbydoo wants SPAM!! and eggs on toast or biscuits!! EEWWW! Will dig out some frozen applesauce (he'll want butter on that, for sure), and I can find some potato and vege to go with it. But I think I've found a common thread here (no, not pregnancy), peanut butter! We Americans cling to peanut butter in all sorts of odd ways -- have you noticed?
    Not that I'm trying to analyze you all and your eating habits!
    Annie1971

• caavonldy
    15 years ago

Pickled pig's feet. I also love sweet pickle juice. I love all types of liver, calf or chicken, fried in bacon fat with lots of onion with catchup on top. Also peanut butter with sweet pickles. I really love this thread.

• jimster
    15 years ago

Pickled lamb's tongue, already mentioned by stinkydavis, is possibly the most unusual thing I have eaten on a regular basis, not just once. I haven't seen any in about 40 years but I used to have it on a sandwich for lunch quite often. Funny thing, I happened to think about pickled lamb's tongue a couple of days ago, before I read stinky's post.

As for peanut butter, I like in on seeded rye with mustard and a slab of onion.

Jim

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

I have tried muskrat (ahem), snake, sweetbreads, tounge, liver and crickets, only once each.

Mustangs has eaten bats at a local restaurant in Florida.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

"Mustangs has eaten bats at a local restaurant in Florida." I will never forget her sharing that one!!! LOL!! I'll go for pancake houses in TN thank you very much!!

Another one that likes a sip of pickle or olive juice...that olive juice with a splash of good vodka please...dirty martini anyone?

BP&J with cheetos or chips would be my fave that I have at least once a year. Doritos dipped in sour cream...popcorn with green onion dip...creamy italian dressing with pizza.

David

• sands99
    15 years ago

Hold the phone Annie... dh wants butter on applesauce?

btwn that and the PB and mayo I'm fighting the heaves! ick! sorry

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

(Ahhh..but Loyce has eaten Beaver....) Oops! I wasn't supposed to tell! LOL

Okay, I am reading this thread and wondering...."Where is Andrew Zimmern"?

I can't think of a single thing that I eat that would even compare to any of these. Now that's not to say I haven't TRIED unusual things (to me, anyway).

Black Pudding
    Haggis
    Alligator Sausage
    Squid

My mom used to eat raw hamburger sandwiches with a slice of onion....not for me, thankyouverymuch.

I can take or leave Spam. Most of the time I choose to leave it, but it's actually not bad for camping food if you dice it, fry it and mix it with scrambled eggs.

My dad used to hunt squirrel and rabbit. I have had both, but have conveniently blocked out the memories.

Linda

• sands99
    15 years ago

I've had lion, emu, and elk too but not as regular fare!

• foodonastump
    15 years ago

beer and vanilla ice cream shakes

• lisazone6_ma
    15 years ago

The only thing that might be considered "odd" that I've ever eaten are periwinkles. We always had them as one of our fishes on Christmas Eve, and we cook them in a tomato sauce with tons of garlic. Pick them out of the shell with a common pin and slurp them down!

I just can't even think about eating organ meats *shudder*. Some of you guys are a lot braver than I am!!

Lisa

• woodie
    15 years ago

Gosh, I'm feeling so happily normal after reading this thread!

Foodonastump - we like scotch with vanilla ice cream in the blender for dessert, first served to us at a friend's house and now we enjoy it too. But that's not half as odd as most of the stuff here now is it :)

• lowspark
    15 years ago

The smallest, palest stalks in the middle of a bunch of celery
    Yeah, that's the best part of the celery!

Which reminds me, I like the core of iceberg lettuce. I didn't realize till fairly recently that most people prefer those soft green leaves which are on the outside of a head of lettuce. I'll eat those, but MUCH prefer the harder white leaves as you get closer to the core. And I also didn't realize till recently that most people throw away the core!!!

• kframe19
    15 years ago

Deep fried shrimp heads.

Raisin pie.

Shoo fly pie.

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Sands:
    I had them too, plus Bear, Moose, Bison, Squirel, Squid,
    Wild Duck, Geese. Etc.
    Can't go the other things.

I think I asked this before , If 2 Goose are Geese,
    Why aren't 2 Moose, Meese.

Lou

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

I can't believe it! Lyra, as a teenager I too used to drink (and calories meant nothing to me too!): "When I was young and calories had no affect on my dress size I'd mix milk, oj, and a raw egg for a rich drink..." but a dash of honey for variation.

That's so weird. I never knew anyone else had this. I always wondered where I got the idea from, but I don't know. Where did you get the idea?

• ysop1016
    15 years ago

Melted Limburger cheese on a burger. DH created it and at first I thought that it was bizarre, but now lovin' them.

• annie1971
    15 years ago

Sands: Don't apologize to me! I'm with you on that one. But maybe if I were to spread peanut butter on some Rocky Mountain oysters??!! No? No, I guess not.
    annie1971

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Guess I am pretty tame compared to some of you guys!

I grew up loving liver, tasted turtle, frog's legs, and chocolate covered bees once. I love warm cornbread in a glass of cold milk. I used to eat mustard on crackers or make a potato chip sandwich for a snack after school. A family favorite quick dish is to heat up cooked elbow macaroni with stewed tomatoes, a little butter, dash of sugar, and salt/pepper.

My grandmother used to bring me a jar of her home canned tomatoes when she visited me in college and I would eat them right out of the jar.

Is putting salt on cantaloupe and watermelon a southern thing? I don't do it anymore. But it is time to make some Cincinnati chili before it gets too warm!

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

The only way I can eat Campbell's Tomato Soup is with popcorn in it. Better than crackers any day.

Two memories I have of when I was a young child, one was my Mother beating a whole egg and stirring into a glass of milk, adding sugar and I think she may have added a drop of vanilla. She would give them to my brother and myself to drink and say they were milkshakes. We didn't know any different and liked them. The other thing was taking a glass of milk and a handful of saltine crackers and dip them in the milk and eat just like you would dunk a doughnut in coffee. I thought it was good at the time. I remember my Mother doing it too. She also made a no-bake fruitcake. It was made from all kinds of dried fruits, some nuts and graham cracker crumbs, all scrunched together and packed in a pan. I don't remember if there was anything else in it. I think it was a popular 1950's recipe. I would hate to have to eat it now.

Here is a link that might be useful: No-Bake Fruitcake

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

And here I thought I'd be the one eating the most odd things, being half Korean. But hey, even _I_ have not eaten B-A-T. Remember, a bat is just a rat with wings. (Or was that pigeon?)

In Korea, the tomatoes were so sweet, they sliced them, put them on ice and sprinkled them with sugar.

Rob333, maybe you watched Rocky one too many times? LOL.

I have to have mustard to dip grilled cheese sandwiches in.

I like fried Spam too - in Korea it was a commonly found after the war as a US Army surplus item, and became so popular that South Koreans love it to this day. They love salty things eaten with white rice and the normal preparation is thinly sliced and fried, so that it loses its trademark mushiness. And in Hawaii and Guam, also due to the US forces there many years ago, it is referred to as "Hawaiian Steak".

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

For a snack I love potato chips dipped in mustard.

Speaking of pickle juice, have you ever frozen dill pickle juice in ice cube trays or individual paper cups? They're called picklecicles.

• houscrzy
    15 years ago

Oatmeal with only butter and salt--yes! Can't stand it with milk.

When I lived in Morocco, we once ate sheep's head couscous with big glasses of yogurt to drink with it. Wasn't half bad.

I had a friend in elementary school who ate chopped chocolate and mayonnaise sandwiches on Wonder bread--I even thought that was disgusting when I was in 1st grade!

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

Picklecicles! I love it! :D

This is a great thread...it does make one feel less odd.

I forgot another one, I haven't made it in a while but I like lychee stuffed with cream cheese and sunflower seeds. Sweet, creamy & salty at the same time.

I also like raw turnips, sliced quite thin on a salad or with a veggie tray & dip. Really good, ripe tomatoes, still warm from the sun I eat like an apple...I don't think that's weird, but some do.

ysop, I've never put Limburger on a burger, but I'm sure I would love it as the stinkier (riper) a cheese is, the better I like it. Years ago, I worked across the parking lot from a German Deli, and the owner used to set aside "special cheeses" for me. He knew my penchant for very ripe cheese, and his eyes would light up when I came in. He'd whisper conspiratorially for me to come to the far side of the counter and bring out whatever smelly, lovely cheese he had for me.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Karen, I forgot about bats. They have replaced bats on the menu with "bat wings" made with chicken wings...at the request of the health department. I don't understand that because they were farm-raised fruit bats. I was disappointed as it was the element of surprise when we took guests there.

Boy, there's some really strange stuff going down here.

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

I have been reading this thread and afraid to post, but not too many things sound odd to me. Smelly cheese and "wild" meat don't bother me. I figure, try it once and see.

I love frog legs, venison, beef tongue, snake, rabbit and have eaten alligator, ostrich, bear and buffalo squid, octapus, shellfishes, snails, other organ meats and can't say I hated them. I even really like headcheese if well made.

I haven;t had the oppertunity to try dog, cat or monkey. Since I have a dog and a cat, not sure if I want to, but monkeyis a maybe.

No food or a combo of them is "odd". Odd is a mindframe. If you like it, eat it! But ketchup on eggs or a hot dog is just plain wrong to me. Sorry. But ham on a cinnamon raisin bagel is good for breakfast.

• jimster
    15 years ago

What I'm learning from this thread is that everyone is weird in their own way. And no one considers themselves weird.

Jim

• compumom
    15 years ago

I consider myself to have a somewhat adventurous palate and have tried a few things mentioned here--elk, buffalo, ostrich, rattlesnake, frogs legs, alligator, rabbit, snails and ants. HOWEVER 'tried' is the key word. Didn't care to eat any of them more than once. (Elk was okay)

But I must point out that eating most of this stuff (fat, sugar and salt) helps to explains why man has rampant diabetes & heart disease! I know that my weight is far from ideal and I'm not the healthiest specimen either, but geez, some of these combinations make my head and tummy spin!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

You're right, Jim, everyone IS weird in their own way. I don't have a bit of hesitation about eating a piece of raw beef, but I haven't found a wine I really like and I detest beer. I'll eat peanut butter and miracle whip but not pizza, the thought of that red sauce makes MY tummy spin.

I actually like a lot of the wild game mentioned, prepared correctly, but I won't eat jello, bananas or raw oysters unless I'm starving and death is imminent.

There is absolutely no way I'd ever buy that soft, squishy, Wonder Bread stuff, as far as nutrition, taste and texture goes you might as well eat a Twinkie, but I'll eat a Chicago hot dog on a bun or a Maine lobster roll on the same thing. Go figure.

Annie

• twoyur
    15 years ago

i'll confess to the fried spam though i never could figure out how anyone could eat it raw ( as in unfried) I love scrambled eggs with fried chicken livers served along side.
    Frog legs and snails. Hot dogs with hot red pepper relish, ketchup, mustard, onions,and B&G hot dog relish. and what may be the worst canned beefaroni room temp out of the can Don't ask how it started just understand college and beer can make you do odd things

• blizlady
    15 years ago

Radish sandwiches - yum! Spread softened butter on white sandwich bread and top with sliced radishes. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and top with another buttered piece of bread. Heaven!

• jimster
    15 years ago

"...top with another buttered piece of bread. Heaven!"

Or don't top it and have it open faced so you can enjoy the beauty of the radish slices and have a higher ratio of radish to bread. Don't spare the butter. Is this odd? Not to me. :-)

BTW, next time we have this sort of thread (and there will be a next time), I suggest we ban all references to peanut butter. LOL!

Jim

• annie1971
    15 years ago

Jim:
    What do you have against peanut butter. I vote we ban "yum". So much of this thread IS NOT "YUM" to me.
    ANNIE1971

• jimster
    15 years ago

I love peanut butter. It's just that it always seems to dominate this topic. I guess everyone loves it. It should have a thread of its own.

Jim

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

Everyone does not love peanut butter. I can eat it if I have to only.

Beverly

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

It is referred to in our home as "peanie bunkle", and I am under orders from my husband to hide it from him and mete it out in reasonable portions as an occasional treat because if he sees the jar, he will eat it...all of it.

It is the only reward that will convince Emily M.Scampercat to forget her umbrage at having her nails clipped...peanie bunkle distracts her from any irritation.

As for radish sandwiches, I like them open faced,on a slice of good, crusty french bread, thickly sliced and thickly slathered with butter...sprinkled with salt&pepper. If there is a glass of wine and some strawberries or grapes in the picture, so much the better.

Oooh, luxury though is the same meal, but with the bread spread with soft, aged brie instead of butter. Mmmmmm.