SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glockman45

Furnace and HP replacements

glockman45
10 years ago

Hello all,

I am in process of replacing (due to continued maintenance problems and costs of those) 2 systems. The first system is a Rheem 4 ton HP and 100,000BTU furnace (80%). This system is about 17 years old and is used for the bottom floor of a two story house with cathedral ceilings in certain rooms.

The second unit was an afterthought add-on by the previous owner, and is a 2-ton Goodman A/C unit with a 60,000Btu furnace. This system was used for the upstairs section of the house.

I know, and have known, that this system is inefficient and probably sized incorrectly. My understanding was the Rheem unit was intended to heat/cool the entire house but for whatever reason could not. These units were in place when I bought it. My wife and I have been waiting for the opportunity to replace/redo and that time is here.

The house is about 2300 square feet, of which the bottom floor with high ceilings makes up around 1500 square feet. The ductwork has been subjected to inspection by an independent construction contractor (family member), Trane rep, and Carrier rep. All have concluded that it was properly installed and in good working order.

I am going with a Trane system consisting of 2 HP's and 2 furnaces. I explored the Carrier single system for zoning, but my wife likes the idea of two systems for the security aspect that if one system goes out we have a second system. May not be optimal but I have to live with her.

So, I have been offered a 2-system setup as follows:
1st Floor: Trane 3 ton 15i with XV95 80,000BTU furnace
2nd Floor: Trane 2 ton 15i with XV95 60,000BTU furnace

The XV95's are provided at the same cost as the XR95, and the 15i is provided at dealer cost. They are also providing a Trane 803 thermostat at no cost. This price is only $1500 over a quote for XR13's and XR95's of the same specs.

The dealer has done Man J (I don't have the results yet), so these estimates are subject to change but still do not appear to be that far out of line.

I have two questions. First, how does the overall setup sound?
Second, I currently have a Honeywell 8000. Is this considered a 2-stage thermostat or should I push for another Trane 803?

I did post this on another forum but was looking for a second opinion.

Comments (29)