SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Bake sale winner!

caliloo
16 years ago

Yep - my little guy (6 yo) won 1st prize in the 10 and under category of the bake sale at our school Fun Fair! I am so proud of him. He read the recipe, found all the right marks on the measuring cups for all the ingredients, ran the KA mixer and put them in the pan by himself! I put them in (and got them out) of the oven, but he did the rest solo. He LOVES to bake!

He made woodies Apricot Almond Bars and they were a huge hit with both the judges and the customers.

WOODIES ALMOND APRICOT BARS

2 cups vanilla or white chips, divided

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

1 cup all purpose flour

3/4 cup apricot jam

1/2 cup sliced almonds

In microwave, melt 1 cup chips; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in melted chips and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. Spread half of the batter into a greased 8 inch square baking dish. Bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Spread with jam.

Stir remaining chips into remaining batter. Drop by tablespoonfuls over jam; carefully spread over top. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into 9 squares; cut squares in half diagonally, to make triangles.

Yield: 1-1/2 dozen

Comments (28)