SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjsee_gw

Tell me about floating floors for below grade! (LONG)

mjsee
16 years ago

So here's the situation. 9"x9" 1960's tile in the basement...starting to fail. Yes, I know it's got asbestos in it. I'm not afraid to remove it myself--I've researched and know how to do it safely--and it is legal in NC for me to do it myself.

BUT. I can't figure out a way to remove the nasty adhesive that is left behind, and it's a "bond breaker." So--that rules out tile, does it not? As well as most sheet vinyls? From what I've read--laminate is not a good choice for below grade. I used the Traffic Master Allure vinyl when I re-floored the laundry closet...and that worked pretty well...but I'm not certain how well it will hold up over time. I'm considering using the Metrofloor Konnecto instead...if the rep ever gets the samples to the flooring store.

Tarkett's FiberFloor seems like it might be a good choice, but doesn't seem to be as "DIY"--and installed is $20- $35/square yard. Not a horrible price...but I've got a LOT of basement to cover. Close to 2000 square feet...if I do the whole thing. (Part of it is a 900 sq/ft basement apartment that I could, conceivably leave as it is--carpeted and sheet-vinyled.) Additionally, I am having a hard time finding FiberFloor locally.

Are there any options I'm unaware of? Or is the Konecto/Allure really my best choice? I'd rather not put down carpet.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

melanie

Comments (7)