SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

Inappropriate interest in child? WWYD

igloochic
13 years ago

So we have this little "issue" with some folks who we recently met and I thought maybe I'd ask your take on it? Am I freaking out or maybe being rational?

When we moved here I had trouble getting a doc for DS and our previous home owner called a friend who had a management position at the hospital (that runs the clinic) and she pulled strings to get us an appointment (as an aside...the fact that we had to do that is rediculous!!!) Anyhoo, I called and thanked her and that was that.

So her DH hails me from across the street (he was at the post office and we had just arrived home). He introduced himself, nice chat, then he chatted with DS for a bit. DS is 4 1/2 and since he's been sick a lot he's been more with adults than kids so he does well with strangers and friends.

Fast forward a few weeks and he hails us from the street as he's driving by...quick chat, and his last words were something to the effect of asking if DS could have play dates. I thought he was kiddingand shrugged it off with a non-commital answer, thinking he was joking or something. The guy is in his early 60's as is his wife.

Yesterday his wife and he stop by the house "to meet me and play with little DS" and literally push their way into the house past DH. You know that social move...we're curious about your house so we crowd the door kind of thing.

We chat again, blah blah, DS is in bed. They ask about him and want to know if he can come out to play. I laugh, having said he was napping for gads sake, and they ask if they ask which room he has and if they can go up and see him! Ok now that's odd. I showed them a picture (it's not like they haven't seen him in the yard so that's no biggie) and sort of laughed it off, then the wife asks again if they can just take a peek.

OK look, we don't really know these people. They're not lonely old grandparents desperate for their grandbabies...they're healthy adults. Sure people can suck up to people by telling them how cute their kids are, blah blah...but these folks are seriously more interested in our 4 year old than us and DH and I were a bit freaked out. I can tell him not to talk to strangers...but these folks have been introduced to him so that won't work. I don't want to freak him out, but I also think we need to be sure they aren't around him inappropriately if you get what I mean???? I don't like the feeling they give off and the interest...it seems odd.

My problem is how to deal with it. They are friends of other friends and it's likely they'll end up at a dinner party or two on occasion where we might be. Gad what the heck do you say???

Have you ever had to get rid of someone trying so hard for access??? I just don't like the vibe...would you feel it was odd????

Comments (72)