SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
traceyls

How Do You Organize Your Spices???

traceys
16 years ago

The cupboard I store my spices in is a mess. I have big jars, little jars a lot of duplicates because I can't find what I need so I buy more. They fall out when I'm searching through them.

I just ordered some spices from Penzey's that I use frequently and small jars to put them in. I can't order everything at once although I probably should.

Please help me organize this mess. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tracey

Comments (42)

• leel
    16 years ago

I have a 6 shelf wall rack, about 2 ft wide. I keep the spices racked alphabetically.

• bunnyman
    16 years ago

My housekeeper picks them up and puts them away for me.

: )
    lyra

• Related Discussions

How do you organize your seeds?

Q

Comments (8)
    Some time ago (early 2003 or 2004, I think) I purchased a lot of 1 oz. glass bottles with lids that just fit in a manuscript box. Each box will hold 108 bottles. I have 4 boxes that are pretty much full of tomato seeds. (There are a few vacancies that are upside down as seen in this photo.) I have a spread sheet that list each Variety, Bottle Number, Original Source, Qauntity in bottle (provided I update it), Type (Beefsteak, chery, stuffer, Paste, etc.) Shape, Size, Color, Growth (Det, Semi, or Indet), Leaf type, Days to Maturity. This year I have added a Last Grown Column (and hope to fill, I need to go through all the garden "maps" and such). I am going to take better notes from now on. At least I plan to. *grin* Each bottle has a number on the cap, (veggies numbers start with V, Peppers with P, herbs with H, tomatoes have no letter, just the number) and a label with the variety, bottle number, source and year. Complex? Perhaps. But it helps me keep it organized, as long as I remember to update the spreadsheet! Bets
    ...See More

Help! How do you organize your DVDs?

Q

Comments (14)
    I organize mine by genre so if I feel like action I don't have to remember the title of all the actions films I have and search alphabetically. Genre is so much eaiser because it puts all the same type movies in one place. Of course for those actors that I am in love with like Dolph Lungren, Vin Diesel they have their own section or the what I call the eye candy section. The tv section just has all the tv shows together and then the crime shows together, scifi shows etc. As for whether or not something would be considered drama or action etc. I make that call. I put it in the section I most relate the movie with.
    ...See More

How do you organize your baking supplies?

Q

Comments (13)
    I have Snap-Lock containers, kind of similar to the Lock&Lock. I get them at Walmart and they are perfect. Not a thing gets past them, really airtight. I always find Tupperware a bit difficult to open. With the snap-lock, you just flip the latches up, and when done, lid goes on, and in one motion, snap all latches down (using two hands, you can do all four in one motion). We have some things (like brown sugar) which we use every day, so I really appreciate the ease of these. I have all my baking products in them. Buy just one and I bet you'll be a believer! I checked Walmart.com and they are not there, but there are plenty in the store.
    ...See More

How do you organize your purse?

Q

Comments (17)
    I carry a small purse. Absolutely hate carrying a purse but snug jean pockets don't hold much more than a knife or a cell. Inside pocket has a pill container,nail clippers,gum and a little tooth pick/brush thingy. Main compartment has a small wide toothed comb,wipes,a pen,my cell phone and my wallet. Still has room for my pocket camera if I want. Keys are there when the day starts. Once I use them they go in my pocket. I don't carry a real wallet. It is one of those little leather flat ones with a larger zippered main compartment,an outer zipped coin pocket and a couple of open compartments on the other side for ID,cards etc. All receipts etc are removed nightly along with change. I use cash for almost everything. I don't use debit cards or credit cards except for a couple of store credit cards one of which is also a use anywhere Visa. Haven't wrote a check in over a decade other than for house hold utility bills and mortgage and now I pay online so no need for a checkbook.
    ...See More
  • jimster
    16 years ago

Organize????

Jim

• nancyofnc
    16 years ago

I bought glass jars, in two sizes, and pre-printed spice labels from Spice Barn. I dumped all my tins and jars and bags of spices into them, marked or transferred the date on them with wax pencil or paint pens and threw out the odd sized jars and very old spices. I put the spices that I had more of than could fit into the new jars in a box in the basement, with a label on top with what was in the box. I also made a list of all the spices on the computer and noted if I had extras downstairs. I printed it out with very small type and put it on the fridge next to my shopping list. Then if I check the list I can tell if I have that spice in the drawer so I don't hunt for it forever.

All the jars are in a wide drawer under the counter where I usually prepare things. They are more arranged by sweet, savory, and hot instead of alphabetically. It is much handier than being a junk drawer like it was.

I also do a lot of canning and buy those spices in bulk so I use quart canning jars out in the canning kitchen. I made my own labels from a sheet of stickers I got at Staples. I can see at the start of the season which ones to reorder. They live on a shelf in a lower cabinet.

It is important to keep spices dry and cool, and in the dark. I didn't know that a "hundred" years ago when I started cooking. I didn't know why my paprika, in its special clear fancy container on the back of the stove, was so brown and didn't have any flavor. Someone also told me long ago to mark the date you bought them. Of course I didn't do that for many years. Becoming a better cook over time, it makes sense. I hate throwing out spices because they are so expensive, but if they are old and have little flavor, why do they get to clutter up my cabinet?

Nancy

• minsue67
    16 years ago

Mine sounds like they are as organized as Jim's probably cuz' my MIL's are all lined up like little soldiers evenly spaced and heaven forbid if you use one and not get the label lined up exactly inline with the rest of them when you put it back.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

In the upper cabinet near the stove, I have two lazy-susan turntables (one is double-decker) that hold most of my spices and baking ingredients. The single on the left holds all the "savory" spices and the double on the right holds the "sweet" spices, salt, baking powder and soda, plus three shakers (cinnamon sugar, powdered sugar, and flour) and extracts. The larger supplies are in bags vacuum sealed and put in the freezer. This arrangement works best for me and cuts down on wasted time spent hunting. The colored jars in the back are whole nutmegs and whole cloves.

{{gwi:1505091}}

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

I have shelves on the back of my pantry door and have them in alpha. order. It drove me crazy when I had them in my cabinet because I could never find anything and was always buying extra of stuff I already had.

• grainlady_ks
    16 years ago

Talk about one of the most IMPERFECT sciences in the kitchen... (LOL)

I've noticed the spices in my kitchen have divided into 3 teams.

TEAM #1 - those common spices I use all the time - this includes dried herbs/spices from the garden.

TEAM #2 - those I bought for some forgotten recipe and haven't used.

TEAM #3 - When my SIL makes her annual Penzys run (we don't have one around here), and I make a list of really odd things and combinations like Salsa Salad Seasoning or Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Base - I don't think I can live without - or I split with my SIL. A lot of these items I store in decorative, 1-pint or 1/2-pint canning jars as well as small spice shakers (one side opens for measuring spoons and the other side has holes for sprinkling). I got those at Big Lots and bought all they had at the time.

I have a shallow shelving unit attached to the inside of my pantry door, which is normally "dead" space. It has 7 shelves on it and it stores the bulk of the spices and assorted other things that tend to get lost. You can get these shelving units at most hardware stores.

-Grainlady

• bessiedawg
    16 years ago

I have two lower cabinets devoted to spices. I installed pull outs with full extensions in both. I have only been using this system for about 6 months, but so far it works well.
    Linda

Closed

Open

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Linda, that's what I should have done to that small cab next to the stove..I have my most used spices in the top drawer of this particular cabinet..then I have a little wooden basket that all the bags fit in for refills from Penzey's. Almost everything I use regularly fits in the drawer..except for the garlic powder..because I'm still finishing up my Costco size jug..LOL But when that's gone..I'll replace with a Penzey's glass jar and buy bag refills.

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

Organize? Well, I have all my Indian spices in some small square wire bail jars I found. I like them because the mouth of the jar is large enough to fit a spoon in. These are on a wire shelf organizer on the counter, in a dark corner. They aren't labeled because I just know what they are.

Spice mixes that I have made up, like garam masala, tri tip rub, cajun seasoning and the like are in jars with dark blue lids on another shelf.

As for the more common spices, they're just in a cabinet sort of higgly piggly, in all different kinds of jars, but I don't seem to have trouble finding what I want. I just sort of recognize them by the jar shape/size/color I guess.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Tracey, when you first posted this thread I went out to the kitchen. It reminded me that cleaning my spice cabinet was on my 'to do' list.

I have been out there ever since. Whadamess.

If I get it put back together I'll take a picture.

Nancy

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

I was fortunate to find spice bottles while in Italy for 50 cents each. They contained spices but I had to empty all of them before I went through customs. No problem because I just wanted the cute bottles with red tops. Both teams are alphabetized.

Team 1 is for quick access to common spices:

Team 2 for more exotic:

• Terrapots
    16 years ago

I've tried pretty much all of the above. My most successful organizer is a wooden organizer that are XXXXXs on top of each other. Each unit holds 18 spice jars. I only have two but that's enough for most of the McCormick standard jars. I stuck a round label on the top of the lid with the spice name and alphabetized them. The two units only take up about 1.5 square feet on the side of the kitchen cabinet. I could use more but haven't seen any more anywhere. I have a lazy suzan rack that came with jars and these hold miscellaneous, again in alpha order. The larger jars used most often go into the pullout under the stove and the others in a large lazy suzan in a corner cabinet in baskets. Who needs so many spices? There has to be a better system! My success was reaching the point where I only have one bottle of each, mostly fresh.

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

KTDS!............................(Keep The Door Shut!)

DWN..............................(Dig When Needed)

Actually, Jim took the thought right out of my head...

Deanna (thank goodness I don't do much ethnic cooking or it would be even worse)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Good lord Cathy....look at all that empty space between the round-ey rounds!!
    I have no system...just cram and jam...That was my goal tonight to organize my spice cupboard, but a friend called and I said...OOH! Come on over for dinner!...
    Phew! Off the hook for another day!!
    Been like that for almost a year.
    Linda C

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I have a big lazy susan in a corner cupboard. As you'll see I keep basic baking supplies in it also along with my seasonings and spices. I try to have everything grouped. The top layer is all large containers of seasoning.
    The middle layer is baking supplies.
    The bottom is spices and small containers of seasonings.
    Things are grouped as to how I am most likely to need them. I don't know how else to do it. :))

I wish I knew how to string these photos across the page...but I don't.

{{gwi:1505084}}
    {{gwi:1505085}}
    {{gwi:1505086}}
    {{gwi:1505087}}

{{gwi:1505088}}
    {{gwi:1505089}}

Nancy

• granjan
    16 years ago

I buy most spices in bulk and so have every kind of jar you can imagine. The cabinet maker built adjustable shelves just inside the pantry entry. They are about 6 inches wide and go about 6' up. Nothing else would fit in that space so it's perfect. The top shelf has tall bottles, like rice wine vinegar and weird Asian sauces, that don't fit anywhere else. Then the spices are in alphabetical order. EXCEPT that all peppers are under P and all chilies are under C. The bottom shelf has teas and tea strainers.

Then next to the stove I keep salts and peppers in grinders and cayenne and Tabasco like stuff that are used all the time. And in the cabinet over the baking counter next to the flours and sugars are cinnamon and nutmegs and vanilla. Norm once spent 10 minutes looking for the nutmegs in the alphabetized spices!

• spacific
    16 years ago

I have 2 places for spices. Right next to the stove, I have a very narrow shelf unit built into the wall between the studs for those spices I use constantly. I try to keep the shelves sort of grouped by how I use them. One area for cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves; the next for bay leaves, herbs de provence, thyme, oregano, etc. It's tucked in a corner where there is no direct sunlight, and these get used up within 6 months or so. It seems to work well. I gave up long ago putting them alphabetically.

{{gwi:1505102}}
    {{gwi:1505103}}

For those I use less frequently, I have metal tubs in the pantry, one for baking/sweet spices, another for dried chiles and hot sauces, another for other savory spices and spice mix packets.

I probably use less dried spices than many, because I can grow fresh herbs year round. And my neighbor grows even more that I can use.

• traceys
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OMG the systems some of you have are amazing. Cathy, Nancy, Teresa, or Linda are any of you coming to Pennsylvania anytime soon. I really stink at organizing things, I want someone to just do it for me. I've reorganized my spices many times and everything ends up being tossed together.

I think I need a drawer like Cathy. I have one of those wire step things for the cupboard but I'm always knocking things down. It's happening more frequently and I can't stand it.I've got to try to be organized somewhere.

You guys have really great ideas, well except for Jim :>)

Spacific, I'm jealous of your fresh herbs, but I won't give up the snow.

Tracey

• vacuumfreak
    16 years ago

I have one lazy suzan in the cupboard above the range hood. My neighbor who's always getting me free stuff gave it to me when I first moved into the apartment. I didn't know what to do with it, and it sat unused for about a year. I made Dirt Bombs and put them on it for the picture. Then about two months ago, I decided that I was sick of having to dig for what I needed. The lazy suzan fit PERFECTLY and it has made life a lot easier. It's the only thing in my entire apartment that's organized... baby steps, huh? :o)

• Lars
    16 years ago

I don't use that many dried spices. Most of what I do use fall into the Indian category, and I keep those in a separate cabinet in the laundry room (adjacent to the kitchen). I have mine arranged by how I use them, but I guess I use a lot less spice than most people. I also use very few dried herbs although I use a lot of fresh ones. Rosemary grows in the parking lot of the markets here, and so if I need any, I just pick a sprig or two - it always needs pruning anyway. It's not one of my favorite herbs, and so I seldom use it anyway. Oregano and thyme are perennials in my yard, but basil is seasonal. Fortunately, I have volunteer cilantro and nasturtiums in my yard growing now, as well as watercress in my pond waterfall.

Lars

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Lars, You brought back memories. When I worked in LA it always amazed me that rosemary (also my favorite) grew as part of the landscape. I have 8 herbs right now in my herb garden including rosemary but I can never grow it are big and full as in the LA parking lots.

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

One shelf in my baking cabinet is devoted to spices. I have my spices in Tupperware spice containers (about 15 years old). They are alphabetized. The front row are the ones I use the most, second layer are ones I use less often, and at the rear are unopened jars to refill when the spices are low, along with my large jar of black peppercorns to refill all the pepper grinders.

Joanne

• lindac
    16 years ago

Bobby, the absolutely worst place to store seasonings in above your stove....and especially above the hood.
    Please find a cooler spot or the next thing we know we will be hearing "Why doesn't my cinnamon taste like anything"!
    Linda C

• vacuumfreak
    16 years ago

Thanks for letting me know, Linda. I'm afraid it's the only option for me... my kitchen is microscopic! Plus, the lazy suzan will only fit there or under the sink and I'm not going to store them under the sink... I don't have the counter space to put the lazy suzan or any spices there either. At least I'll know the reason they don't taste like anything! Maybe when I replace the ones I have with new ones as I use them up, I'm move them to the bathroom medicine chest to preserve the flavor!

Btw, can I keep asprin and band aids over the range?

:-p

• jimster
    16 years ago

Thoughts:

Some of you have amazingly large collections and amazingly organized ones.

Finding herbs and spices is one of the many challenges of cooking in someone else's kitchen. If your children have grown and have their own abodes you know what I mean.

Many people keep their herbs and spices in a cupboard above or adjacent to the stove. Not good.

I keep some in tiny containers (saffron), others in large containers (powdered chili). The rest are in medium containers (thyme).

Frequently discarding old herbs and spices and replacing with fresh ones is desirable but infrequently happens.

I resolve to grow and dehydrate more herbs this summer. Spices don't grow here.

Jim

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

I have a spice drawer filled with small jars I got from SpecialtyBottle.com and some of the Penzeys jars. I label the tops of the jars. A 24" wide drawer holds a lot of spices that way. I buy most spices in the bulk bags from Penzeys and keep those in two large containers in my freezer (roughly alphabetized) for refilling the smaller containers in my spice drawer.

• khandi
    16 years ago

I use 2 small cupboards. One cupboard is for cooking spices, and the other cupboard is for my baking spices with my extracts, baking powder, baking soda, icing sugar, etc.

With the cooking spices, I put the ones that I use most frequently on the bottom shelf for easy access and the others go on the second shelf.

• traceys
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've been slowly cleaning and organizing things in my kitchen. I wanted to clean out a drawer to keep my spices in like Cathy.

Today I came across this spice rack I thought might work. I have a place inside my cabinets to put it. Does it seem like a good idea to do this. I'm so tired of everything falling out on me.

Thanks
    Tracey

Here is a link that might be useful: spice rack

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

Oops, the link says that item is no longer available. :(

• traceys
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm it still works for me. Maybe I need this one instead.

The one you can't get to is a Kitchenaid 20 jar spice rack.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maple spice rack

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

I have them in several different places depending on their use (i.e. balking spice in one place, cooking in another, large containers in a third. I love using the large test tubes and holder most of all. I just set the unit on the counter while I'm baking or cooking, and everything is right there. When I'm done I tuck it back in the cabinet. I use those skinny long measuring spoons that fit perfectly into the tubes. One large tube holds a small spice container (jar or box). I prefer buying smaller sizes anyway because they get used up before they lose their freshness. You can do one test tub/holder just for baking and one for cooking,

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Karen, That's so cool!

Please straighten your celery salt label, it's making me crazy. LOL

• traceys
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karen, That's a great idea. Can I ask where you got those?

Cathy, You're too funny. That doesn't really bother you does it?

Tracey

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Tracey, I get teased about being anal and excessive so I might as well go along with it. Although I am thrilled when my DGS eats his Jelly Belly jelly beans one color at at time.

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

I ordered it on line through Indigo Science Supplies. Here's a link. Cathy, I'll get right on that celery salt label tonight! LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Indigo test tubes & holders

• traceys
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cathy, Maybe you can pass some of those anal and excessive qualities to me. I sure could use them sometimes.

Thanks Karen! I just checked it out. I'm going to try it out and see how it works for me.

Tracey

• elphaba_gw
    16 years ago

I keep most of my good spices on three little shelves inside the door of my freezer. Onr shelf has 7 spices that I ALWAYS use when I'm cooking Italian - thyme, oregano, sage, fennel seed, savory, marjoram, rosemary. I just used them tonight. Yanked them all out, took 1 tsp of each and added to the pot and put them back on the same shelf.

I made indian curry for lunch. I just started this new little shelf - has curry, garam masala, mustard seeds, cardomom pods, cumin, coriander, cloves and cinnamon. (still need to buy asafoetida.) Numbers are marked on each label since it is not so easy as 1 tsp each.

Guess I need to start a "Mexican". May use some of the duplicates.

Yes, I have duplicates. I have bottled up in a ziplock bag and stored at the back of the fridge.

I have a standard spice cabinet where I keep cheaper spices such as Adams or McCormic. Not too many of these. The ones I freeze are all organic with no preservatives.

• beanthere_dunthat
    16 years ago

Previously, I've used lazy susans and loved them. In this house the wall cabinets are very shallow, but I have a pantry. I bought those hard plastic see through boxes and put the bottles in those. Rather than standing in the pantry and digging for the right spice, I just bring out the box.

• bri29
    16 years ago

I feel like a spice neophyte compared to your collections! I love the test tube rack. I just have two wire mesh trays, one for cooking spices and one for baking spices. Then all I have to do is pull out the right tray. The other thing I thought about doing (because I'm obsessive compulsive and love containers) is getting little metal tins and transferring everything over. This site has a bunch of tins and bottles at reasonable prices (recommended by a friend): http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp

Beware though, I spent an hour browsing through their inventory. Could be a dangerous place for anyone as compulsive as myself! :)

Bri

• netla
    16 years ago

I keep the stuff I use regularly in the original jars on a small lazy susan in the cupboard nearest to the stove. The rest I keep in the freezer compartment of my refrigerator.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!