SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisazone6_ma

How Do You Organize Your Kitchen?

lisazone6_ma
14 years ago

I'm really starting to drown under everything I have! And I'm not really a "gadget" person, so everything I have is pretty useful and I only have a few things that I don't use alot. I do have some storage in the basement so most of the things I only use once or twice a year - huge pots that only are needed over the holidays for large crowds, etc., I keep down there.

But I still have way more than my cabinets can hold and I'm so sick of having to get down on the floor and take out half the cabinet to crawl way in back to get what I need!

I took a page from Julia Child's book - I didn't go with the pegboard, but I had hubby mount strips of wood on one wall of the back hall where you come in the back door, and he put hooks up for all my pots and pans and lids. I only have one lid left over that there just was no room for. The wall is the one you open the kitchen door into and the depth of the woodwork was just enough that you open the door fine and don't bang into anything. It was wasted space and now that I can keep all those things hung up, I have three complete pull out shelves and a bit of another cabinet freed up. Now I can put some of those other things in handier places that I can get to more easily.

I collect (among other things) kitchen items from the 30's, 40's, and 50's so I have some containers I had packed away and I'm keeping some of the tools that used to be lost inside drawers in those right on the counter and that freed up drawer space as well.

I do plan on a kitchen remodel down the line - I keep waffling between just doing new counters, backsplash and floor, or doing a complete remodel, but one way or the other I want to put in an island and store my cookbooks there as well. I have them on a shelf and being short, they're a little higher than I'd like them.

How do you all store your cookery items and do you have any cool tips on keeping things handy, but not in the way of everything?

Lisa

Comments (102)

• hawk307
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Loves2:
    Your Kitchen and Storage looks great. So do all the others.

I couldnt do that . Wouldnt be able to find anything if it wasnt messed up !!!
    My cooking area is small 10 X 12 ft.

After building Restaurant kitchens , I decided to make mine this way, so
    I didnt have to use roller skates to cook. Everything is 1 or 2 steps away.
    All the essentials are here and I keep everything else in the basement metal cabinets.

There are 3 cabinets that I use for a pantry, total 9 feet long X 6ft 6 high X 2 ft. deep.

In Philly everyone had 2 kitchens. One for Cooking and one for Looking.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Here is mine. One Photo shows the Range up North , with a Coffee, Micro Wave and
    Toaster Oven Station on the West ( right )
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    The next shows the Coffee Station , Pantry Cabinet and part of my work top, which
    Is 24 in. X 6 feet X 4 inches thick.
    Also the counter top Room Divider.
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    The next shows the left side and refrigerator, window , sink area.

Maybe the next one I build Ill make it larger.
    LOU

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I don't alphabetize my spices either, I just shove them all in a drawer. Right next to the stove too:

{{gwi:1490781}}

No, those are not labels, they're price tags, LOL. Overflow goes into the cupboard:

{{gwi:1490785}}

This is my pantry, the dry milk is behind the oatmeal, the BBQ sauce is in front of the Cheerios. (grin)

{{gwi:1490788}}

This is my utensil drawer:

{{gwi:1490791}}

Pans go in lower cupboards:

{{gwi:1490793}}

{{gwi:1490795}}

And now I'm out of cupboard space. Not a single cabinet is high enough for an appliance to fit in it, not even the ice cream maker, let alone the Kitchen Aid or the food processor.

Annie

• Related Discussions

How do you organize all your ideas?

Q

Comments (21)
    Wow! You have lots of really good ideas. Some of you seem a little overwhelmed, like I am! Too many good ideas (and getting more every day), not enough time! Luvs, I never thought of actually sitting down with a cup of coffee and looking through my Christmas files (duh) prior to the Christmas shopping season (although most of what I buy is second-hand still there's more selection nearer to the holidays)... Karen--you can fit all your Decor ideas in ONE file???! Dreamgoddess--I love the idea of having all my jottings in one notebook--but once I turn the page the old ones are gone from my memory! You probably (undoubtedly) have more discipline than I have... OA--I do something like you do with the recipes but I use scrapbook software. I'm pleased with that because I can add text and the software treats it like a graphic--lets me move it around, put it on top of pictures, etc., but it still stays editable for when I spot a typo (very irritating to me) or want to rearrange the page. You can also add arrows or circle items in the photo or illustrations, and fancy them up if you want. I save the pages to .jpg files after I'm done. Then I can just view them with the Windows viewer. The disadvantage is there's no way to sort them or search them. I have to put them all in individual folders like Christmas, etc. If I want to have an index I have to make one in Excel or some such. I love the idea of putting all the things for each room in their own boxes. We will be moving into our new home this winter and as I unpack (my very disorganized) moving boxes I'll keep that in mind. Have to go get tons of plastic bins... Minnie tx--Yes. I've organized my articles like that in the past and there's nothing like thumbing through those nice page protectors--makes your pictures look even better. But I have SO MANY! Once I almost completed a system like that and I had 21 3-ring notebooks full and more coming all the time. I've weeded out since then (HAD TO!) and of course since I was younger there's many more formats--dvd's (stuff I recorded off HGTV, for example), Internet downloads, how-to videos on the Internet, of course digital pix that I sneak sometimes in stores, etc. So much mixed media! dd50- you've hit the nail on the head! That's me, wandering around the store, getting ideas, and wondering if I already have the stuff at home. After this over-budget house is finished, I'm not going to be able to afford buying (even something cheap) twice! neesie--DH uses a pencil and notepad for anything he wants to remember, and it works for him, but he's an engineer. They're BORN organized. lynn--I scan pix from magazines and catalogs too (they can sure mount up). But your system sounds so organized. I just finished culling about 300MB of graphics files duplicates that I had propagated all over the disk. BTW, make sure you all have backups. DH made us a little network with a big hard drive so we can back up to it. But if you don't have that, I like the little thumb drives--I got a 4 GB one for Christmas last year. That holds a lot of files! THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS! Seems nothing is perfect. As I mentioned, I'm using scrapbook software which makes graphics and text very easy to handle (OA--if you want "freeform" pages the scrapbooking software is better than a database like Filemaker. Databases usually require you to have your data in fixed format (which you define). For example, at least when I was using databases, you would have to define the number of pictures you could allow in each record. Of course, databases may be a lot fancier now, but their search-sort functions should require some rigidity in the format of each record.) What I really need to find to augment this is a calendar-shopping list-inventory program that takes all those ideas in my brain and makes them usable! - Magpie
    ...See More

How do you organize your 'project' papers?

Q

Comments (5)
    Marie, my current project is a bathroom remodel and I've been managing all the paper with excessive use of my three-hole punch and by putting everything in a binder. I found some Post-It labels at Office Max, which I applied to the front page of everything I wanted to categorize like Lighting, Plumbing, Fixtures, Accessories, Quotes, PAID, etc. etc. I particularly like those because they are self-sticking but can be moved if you need to. It's been extremely handy to have everything in one place, and be able to put my hands on whatever I need instantly. My sheetrock guy came for a bid and was flipping through my book, and told my DH he thought I was extremely organized! Here is a link that might be useful: Post-It Labels
    ...See More

How Often Do You Organize Your Sewing Area?

Q

Comments (50)
    Since I have limited space in a bedroom I cannot be too disorganized, but I have had it get quite messy. When I cannot find a pattern, or fabric, I then take a day and get things back into some sort of order again. I do keep my ongoing projects out, and in a closet I have on hangers anything that is large and almost done with what ever it needs hanging together.. this I found is helpful. I am organized in a way, that I do have my fabric and patterns together in one container for my to do projects and other large baggies or what ever with scrap fabric for a certain project as well as the pattern, idea and notes on what I have that fabric for ... for example, all 2 inch long strips are in one large baggie and marked for future log cabin - 2 inch squares for 'what ever' and so on. I find this helpful... at least when I cut fabric the left overs do not end up in a pile and discarded because there is too much stuff to sort out. I have one ongoing project for club charity quilts that is kept in a separate bin with kids fabric and patterns so when the mood hits me to do something different, I can just pull the box and do some work on it.. eventually they get done and donated to my guild. I also have 2 cats and they do things like play with the thimbles (took 2 months to find it) as well as spools of thread - you know the stuff they like to do. Still I enjoy having them around, even if it is 'pet me time' while I am trying to sew something! I am enjoying reading this post and everyone's delima about orgaiziation... and I agree - if my guest think that my room is a mess... they can stay home! I enjoyed reading how everyone is handeling their situations... we all seem to be in the same boat... (or sewing room delima!) Barbara
    ...See More

How do you organize your baking supplies?

Q

Comments (13)
    I have Snap-Lock containers, kind of similar to the Lock&Lock. I get them at Walmart and they are perfect. Not a thing gets past them, really airtight. I always find Tupperware a bit difficult to open. With the snap-lock, you just flip the latches up, and when done, lid goes on, and in one motion, snap all latches down (using two hands, you can do all four in one motion). We have some things (like brown sugar) which we use every day, so I really appreciate the ease of these. I have all my baking products in them. Buy just one and I bet you'll be a believer! I checked Walmart.com and they are not there, but there are plenty in the store.
    ...See More
  • mustangs81
    14 years ago

yeabut Annie, you have so many other skills! I have to organize to detract from my lack of high level cooking, baking, farming skills among others.

I couldn't function like that but then during a 360 feedback session on my job I was told that "I spent time on projects that didn't add value--like cleaning my office and reformatting company forms."

• partst
    14 years ago

Im a little obsession so instead of organizing I just ripped out the kitchen a bathroom and bedroom and built a kitchen around everything I have or wanted. One spice shelf is alphabetized the putout is not. During the 2 years I only had a sink and hot plate DH set the new oven on 2x4s and plugged it in and for what its worth the sides and top didnt get hot at all. No lower cabinets only drawers and pullouts built to my measurements to fit what I wanted to put in them. I think one of the beat things I did is have my counters 30in deep instead of 24 the difference is amazing that and having 2 full size sinks. I love my new kitchen and now that DH is retiring maybe the last few pieces of molding will get dome.

Claudia

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

Annie, your kitchen would drive me NUTS [GRIN]. I am so over there to get you all organized.

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

Here's a kitchen organizer, circa 1934.

Here is a link that might be useful: from the 1934 Sears catalog

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Man, is that cool or what! Dig that 50 lb flour bin!

Annie, your kitchen reminds me of the conversation between the customs agent and the police sargeant toward the end of The Usual Suspects:

Dave Kujan: Man, you're a slob.
    Jeff Rabin: Yeah, but it all has a system, Dave. It all makes sense when you look at it right. You gotta, like stand back from it, you know? You want to see a real horror show? See my garage.

But you know, Annie, you make some wonderful stuff in that kitchen! Far be it from me to tell you to do a single thing differently! LOL

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Cloudy Christine, that is pretty much a Hoosier cabinet. I have an antique one in my kitchen. It has a sugar bin and a flour bin and a rotating spice caruosel
    For those of you who loved mustangs picture that is no longer in her laundry room, are you aware that she actually took a picture and painted red into the picture so it would go in her laundry? She is so clever and talented.
    Annie, I have tasted food cooked in your kitchen and I don't care what your cupboards look like.
    Can someone post a link to those clips from Lee Valley that you are talking about? I like that idea that some of you had for creating dividers in your drawers.
    I love organization. But I am not in the same league as many of you.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Sherry,
    Here ya go!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley Drawer Dividers

• partst
    14 years ago

Sherry,
    I have the 4 door ice box that would go nicely with your Hoosier cabinet I use it as extra pantry storage. Its one of the few things we had to hire someone to move its so heavy. I bought it back in the 60s for 25 bucks.

Claudia

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

"For those of you who loved mustangs picture that is no longer in her laundry room, are you aware that she actually took a picture and painted red into the picture so it would go in her laundry? She is so clever and talented. "

No I was not aware of that and that is awesome! Way to go Mustangs - excellent job! I really love that picture.

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

partst, I would love one of those beautiful oak ice boxes. Unfortunately, when we got interested in them, they were about $350. ghe last I heard, they were upwards of $600. Nope. I dan't blow money like I used to, so I will only dream. (Besides, there is no room in my kitchen for one now)
    May, thank you for that link. I like Lee Valley. That's where I bought all my kitchen cupboards hardware, and my faucets in my bath and kitchen. Good prices, lots to choose from.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

LTC46, You prompted me to go to the cabinet super store to see about retro fitting pull out base cabinet drawers. I had someone come 2 years ago and the price was outrageous. I'll give it another try.

Sherry, You Hoosier fits perfectly in your kitchen, all this time I thought it was built in.

Thanks for remembering; I always wondered what the artist would have thought of what I did to his picture. That and putting it in a $10 garage sale frame that I also painted.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Okay, I'll admit it...I was afraid to open this thread because I know I simply cannot compete with many of your organizational skills!

I do think you all are onto something with starting an organizing business!

I am ashamed to show you my utensil drawer, but I will in hopes I will get some inspiration to organize it! LOL

{{gwi:1490798}}

I am going to steal the magnetic strip inside tha cabinet dorr idea for my knoves. With counter space being so precious, I really did not want a knife block, but I do need to get them out of the drawer!

I have a tiny kichen, too, so I have canning equipment and such stored in the basement. Small appliances like toaster, pressure cooker, blender, etc. along with baking pans are all stored on shelving in the guest room closet.

Spices are another story...I like the drawer idea, but don't have a spare drawer. Right now they are in a corner cupboard on a lazy susan.
    And in a couple of containers.
    And laying around willy nilly!

{{gwi:1490801}}

I did take advantage of the space above my island to store stemware and wine. (Well okay, and the occasional bottle of vodka and/or gin...)

{{gwi:1490804}}

And I did buy a kit from which we built a reproduction Hoosier Cabinet which is in the hallway just behind the fridge. I use it to store canned goods, pastas, chips and crackers, etc.

{{gwi:1490805}}

My cutting boards are kept on a narrow sliver of counter between the stove and refrigerator. That area is not large enough to be of use for anything else.

{{gwi:1490807}}

Whew! That was fun, but it made me aware of how far I've yet to go! LOL

Linda

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

It has taken me a long time to understand this, but the biggest organizational help to me, is to store similar items together.
    I now do this for most everything in the house.
    One area for all kinds of scissors. One area for all measuring cups, one for rubber spatulas, etc.
    This has really helped me more than anything else.

It would seem like they would take up too much room but it actually creates room.
    All skillets go together. All stock pots nestled together. All Pyrex measuring cups together. All bread pans together. So, you can take advantage of nesting which helps with space.
    And, everything has a place.

I have a baking cabinet for all flours and sugars.
    The spice cabinet is next to this.
    Everything is in a Rubbermaid rectangular container. There is very little wasted space in the cabinet.
    The KA mixer is on the counter below the baking cabinet.
    The drawer under the mixer has all the measuring cups and spoons along with bread scrapers and the KA's tools.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Good for you BBs--about the like things stored together. The implications of that strategy go beyond organization.

Linda, you used your sliver of counter between the stove and refrigerator well. That's the idea!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I will admit that the spice drawer drives Elery nuts, but I pretty much know where everything is. Well, I do until Elery cooks, then I don't any more, LOL.

I know where everything is, pretty much, so it works for me. Thanks for the offer, but I don't need organizing, LOL, maybe when Elery and I build the new house.

You know, it's funny, at work I'm so ultra-organized that people ask me for things they know no one else would have or could find. At home, though, it's a crap shoot.

I figure it keeps me awake, remembering where the heck stuff is. Of course, if I'd get rid of all the spices that I don't really use, the drawer would be enough, I wouldn't need cupboard "overflow" space....

So, now all you organized cooks will be having nightmares for months, LOL.

Annie

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

CC - My parents had a flour bin like that in their house! it was a 25 lb instead of a 50, but it was in the upper cabinet, and you sifted the flour right into the bowl. Of course my mother *never* baked, so I'll never forget when I was seven and making brownies, "Dad, Come here, please. Why is the flour moving?" Because it was proabbly from 5 years previous, that's why! My first lesson in mealy bugs and why it's important to buy only what will be used. O_O Mother didn't believe in throwing about something just because it was old. :P

Msutangs, I still love that picture and that laundry room.

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

If the sign of an organized kitchen is the sign of a sick mind, I am very, very, VERY healthy. Yup, that must be it.

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

Great story, Bean!

Cathy, I love your laundry room. When I first looked at the newer photo I saw a vertical S-O-S in the red pattern to the right of the cabinet. Talk about projection.
    I could never have given up the picture to get storage! Often I sabotage my organizing plans because I can't give up some little view I like.

Annie, you are organized. Being organized means being able to find what you need. Pretty arrangements aren't the point.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Lou, I'm impressed, your man kitchen it's much neater than I imagined. But then I have my DH from which to judge.

Why is the flour moving? Priceless.

Peppi, But, your kitchen is very functional and you had pantry spaces that have a lot of potential. sign of a sick mind Yup, it is a curse at times. On that note, I worry about Beau. We were in the toy department and he had taken all the toy cell phones off the shelf. I know my boy always has plan so I just watched. He put them back arranging them by color! Where did he get that from??

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

OH. I would have loved to see Beau putting the toy cell phones back arranged by the color! That would have stopped me dead in my tracks to watch. I probably would have wanted to take him home! What's even better is to know that sweet little fruit didn't fall far from your tree...

We had a little dinner party last night, and my friend wanted to know immediately what those little doors were between the kitchen/garage. When David told her they were the trash/recycling doors from inside the kitchen to the bins in the garage, she told us that was her favorite thing of the entire night. I don't know why, but I'm always surprised by anyone's favorite thing! (Even though it's one of mine.)

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

I'm a pretty organized person and my kitchen is the same but there is one drawer that is not and I wouldn't dare post a picture of it. That is my drawer that I call the "junk drawer" that has every gadget, etc. in it. It's a large drawer and my brother dies laughing every time he opens it up. I know how to find stuff in it but no one else does!:)

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

trash/recycling doors from inside the kitchen to the bins in the garage Very cool! Would I see that if I looked back at your remodel pics?

Karen/Cloudy, Thank you. It was hard to give up the picture but the 3 stacked cabinets was an inexpensive alternative to pushing that wall back an additional 5 feet into the lawn mower space in order to keep the laundry lady.

DD, I have way too many junk drawers but I have put the most used junk into a vertical system on the back of the LR door along with yard stick and level, so all is hidden.

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Yes. In fact, here it is...at the end of the room to the left of the door. There are two: the one on the left is for recycling, the one on the right is trash.

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Cathy I had forgotten about that plastic thingy holding the overflow. What a great idea! however, I have no door to put one on. The door to the pantry is not a solid door. I would love an overflow place. One thing I would never ever do again, is get cupboards that are for show and not function.
    Here is the built in pantry that DH built (Because it was cheaper than cupboards, and holds lots more). What doesn't show is that my blender, breadmaker, a large coffee pot are all in there too. DH made one of the shelves very deep and added electrical outlets so they couul all be both stores and USED in the pantry.
    The wasted space cupboards are the drawers that have a bin in the front to put dried things like beans, macaroni, etc in so that it "looks like that 's what's in the drawer." Unfortuanately, the bin is numerous inches deep, it takes way to much dried stuff to fill it, you lose a good 4-5" of storage space, and the mice love, love, love all that uncontained dried stuff.
    I also have the adorable baskets that pull out to put potatoes in. Well, I now have an 18" cabinet with nothing but potatoes and dishtowels in it. What a waste.

Here is the wasted potato cupboard.

Here is the front of the pantry door.

Here is the wasted drawer space to put gobs of dried stuff in.

This is what I am thinking about doing with the front of the wasted cupboards instead of putting dried beans in them. Ann T sent me some beautiful photos she did. I am thinking about putting them on the fronts of the cupboards. What do you think?

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

See, see! Now you all know why I said some time ago that I could hangout in Sherry's pantry. Great pictures and pedicure, I feel like I'm back in your beautiful kitchen. I think the picture in the drawer front. Roger did a great job; I like that the shelves aren't too deep and you aren't crowded when you walk in the pantry.

I have to share with others that Sherry is very tolerant of her friends. Case in point, how many people would allow guests to move furniture from one room to another and regroup accessories?

Claire/Kathy, that is terrific. Where did that idea come from? I am waiting to hear back from a cabinet guy to give me an estimate on installing pullouts like yours.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Claire, that is a super idea for recycling! I hate having to haul bags of cans & plastic stuff out to the recycle bin in the garage! Unfortunately my garage is detached, so I couldn't even retrofit my kitchen using your idea.

Sherry, I really like the idea of the photos in the drawer fronts. Then that space behind can be utilized.

Cathy, i wish I had a door to put a hanging stoorage thingy on. It would free up my "junk drawer" for a more useful purpose!

Linda

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sherry, I have no intention of moving your furniture or regrouping your accessories, LOL.

However, I really like the idea of putting those pictures on the front of your cupboard drawers. Roger is so darned handy, I remember that craft room he made for you too.

Annie

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

Sherry, as I read your post I was thinking how nice some pictures would look behind that glass. The only thing I'd suggest is blowing them up so that the whole area of the glass has the picture behind it, with no edge and no space.

I'm glad I'm not the only person with some regrets about my kitchen remodel. I obsessed over getting everything right, and now that I realize I should have done some things very differently, I could kick myself.

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Sherry, I just had a thought. Is there enough space behind your drawer fronts to use it upright for vertical storage for utensils/flatware? You know, like a divided caddy for things like spatulas, tongs, or anything you might need to use in that area? (Plastic wrap, wax paper, parchment, or rolling pins, LIDS, platters, etc.?) It might require cutting the drawer box down a little behind the fronts so you can easily access them...but it seems like an idea that could have some merit. Then again, I could just be having a brain fart.

Talking about brain farts, the trash/recycling area came about because for eight years I had to open the garage door, and do the ''Swing and Fling'' in order to get my trash into it's proper place. There are two deep steps leading down into my garage, and it's a handicapped person's nightmare, so instead of getting my arthritic exercise, I perfected ''swinging and flinging''. (This was before installing a grab bar, which helped immensely.) Anyway...as you can imagine, the ''swing'' didn't always coordinate with the ''fling''. That's all I'm sayin'. In one of my Claire de Luna midnight menopausal ''light of the moon'' good idea moments, I realized I should just make little doors that would allow me to DROP my trash/recycling into place. Because...wouldn't that just make my whole life easier? It was a straight shot if I could just manage a little door where the bins actually sat on the other side! Hallelujah! We lined the doors with felt on the garage side to stop the airflow of cold air into the kitchen, and my dream was born. I must say, we still call that area the ''kitchen'' because it's the site of the old kitchen, even though now it's become more of a foyer. It sure is nice to have it there and Cathy, if you can find someone to make this for you, you'll be SO glad you did! Linda, I'm sorry there's no place for you to put this, because it makes things so much easier. I have seen a little SS push/door you can retrofit if there's a way to put some bins on the outside of your house, with a place to put a cover around the bins. Placement really is the key with making this work.

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

claire-de-luna, I just love idea people. You are like Cathy: good at retooling things. I never, ever would have thought of using the space behind those drawers for utensils. I think I will do some experimenting. What a great idea!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sherry, if you put the pictures on the drawers, I'll bet Roger could either make dividers so you could store utensils upright or maybe your baking sheets and pans would fit right in there, if I remember, they're pretty deep drawers.

Annie

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Cathy, I missed your last comment. You're going to have pull-outs made (like mine)? Which one of my pull-outs? (This Inquiring Mind wants to know!)

I love to hear about people who are tolerant of friends who move furniture and regroup accessories! (Unlike Annie, I fit way too comfortably in that camp, IYKWIM. I would be happy to do either or both. Then when it's over, I'm never quite sure if people were glad to see me coming, or going!)

Sherry, that's a wonderful pantry. I don't mind your baskets at all, as I always have produce sitting on top of my counters. (Right now I count bananas, apples, clementines, oranges, Meyer lemons and limes. That doesn't include the garlic. I keep my spuds and onions in a drawer under cover of darkness so they don't sprout.) It would be lovely not to have my produce on the counter, but there it is. I wish I was there to help you experiment. I see an empty space and have to fill it. Your vertical drawer space reminded me of a much nicer version of what I have going on in some of my own drawers. I use a tension rod at the front of some of my cabinet drawers, to hold lids to the pots or flat cookware like pie plates. It's not fancy, but it works.

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Pot lids! baking pans! Utensils! I am not sure if they are deep enough for baking sheets, but you guys have given me ideas. I never would have thought of that. Getting rid of the lids and pans into that wasted space would open up my pull out drawer under my stove top for other stuff.
    I am so glad I visited this thread!

And Cathy, I love it when you come and rearrange my furniture. However, the chair that you and Peppi had me move down to the living room, well, I was just not happy with it there. I just did not like the color with the other stuff. So, last Sunday we gave it to my granddaughter who just moved into her own place and had no furniture at all except a bed. She was thrilled!

Lisazone6, I hope I have not stolen your thread. You have some of the forum "fine minds of organizing" at work here, LOL.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Sherry, That's okay, sounds like it worked out for the best. I have these in upper cabinets but they should work in your drawers. Or how about an expandable tray organizer to drop down in the drawer.

http://www.thehomemarketplace.com/HomeMarketPlace/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?CID=Storage+%26+Organizers&SCID=Kitchen&ProductID=0000079842&SiteNum=0&sortBy=Rank%20ASC&TabNum=0

I have a collection of golf umbrellas (not to be confused with "I collect them"). Anyway, for the garage I made an umbrella stand with 8 PVC 3" and 4" pipes that I glued together with PVC adhesive. Maybe a row of 1" or 2" PVC in the drawer could be used for utensils.

I got rid of a lot of pot lids with 3 sizes of great IKEA lids with fold down handles. I love them.

What fun--virtual organizing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dividers

• annie1992
    14 years ago

LOL, Claire, you can come to my house and move furniture if you like. I have one "living room" with two chairs, a couch and a built in entertainment center with a television. The couch I bought 12 years ago, the chairs are "hand me downs". All furniture has been in the same place since I moved in 25 years ago. I also have two end tables and two lamps, no other "accessories" other than one picture on the wall over the couch.

My "dining room" has a table, six chairs and a china cabinet, also there since I moved in and never moved. The china cabinet is so heavy that it took 4 guys to move it in, so I CAN'T move it, LOL. No accessories in that room other than the quilted piece that Teresa made me which I hung on the wall.

Oh, and the dining room is still painted the same light yellow that it was when I moved in, 25 years ago. I've never cared enough to repaint, I completely lack the "decorator gene".

I have a very small house, built in 1940, with an unfinished basement under half and an upstairs over the same half. The basement is about 20x20, and so is the upstairs. The entire house is, I think, 20x40. One bathroom.

So, arrange to your heart's content, I have very little space and even less furniture. I don't do accessories, no place to put them anyway. If I hated it, I'd wait until you left and then move everything back. It should take aobut 10 minutes. (grin)

Annie

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Cathy, I love that website you posted the link to. I love organization, but it aint cheap.

Sherry

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Sherry, I agree, it was terrible expensive for what it is--two boards with springs inside. But something made me click the "buy" button. I like it but I haven't forgotten the sting of the price. I tried tension rods but didn't find any that were small enough. I'm still on the hunt for something inexpensive because I like vertical storage as an alternative to stacking stuff.

I think I'll check out the Lee website that May posted.

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Annie, I have the exact same thing at my house. Most of the furniture is heavy and too awkward to move around. Not to mention there is literally nowhere else for it to be moved to. (This is probably why I don't mind rearranging other people's space, although I don't feel compelled to.) I have far too many opinions about space planning, especially in public places like stores and restaurants that are hard to move around in. Alternatively, I have no problem letting it go, either!

• lisazone6_ma
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a pretty small house overall myself. And being built in 1931 back when people seemed to own one change of clothes and one coat, there are no closets and what few closets I do have, are tiny!! I have to keep my clothes in another room because my master bedroom closet is tinier than tiny!

Keep the ideas coming! There's no worries about anyone "stealing" my thread! Storage ideas for one person can be adapted by everyone, so all discussions are welcome! I'm getting some great ideas I never would have thought of. I think I'm going to use the back of the kitchen door leading to the basement for storage as well. And I have to organize that "landing". I have a big box of cat food and litter, all the paper bags for recycling and plastic grocery bags as well, all the mops and coats ontop of the rest of the mess. You can barely get by to get up and down the stairs.

I wish I had a place to keep my recycling bin in the kitchen. We have it out on our 3-season porch right off the kitchen so it's not bad, but I'd rather keep the porch less cluttered and not have to go out there when it's freezing winter to toss things. Recycling tends to collect on the one tiny piece of counter I have next to my stove as it's closest to the back door until it's falling all over the place before anyone will walk the 4 feet to the door to put it in the bin!!

I did take some time this weekend to pull some things out of the backs of the cabinets and rearrange now that I freed up all the space by hanging all the pots and pans and lids. I now have easy access to all my French White casserole dishes in one place, on one shelf. Then I have all my 13 x 9 pans and cake/tart pans together. Right next to the stove I put all my old casserole dishes - the pyrex & Fire King stuff. That freed up space to have all my small serving dishes and trays/platters on another shelf, then I have all the bowls I use for dips and things when I have company and the bowls for the popcorn on another. I will still have to crawl in back of the cabinets for a few things, but those are things I only use a few times per year like my crockpot or the hand crank pasta machine.

I do need to figure out what to do with my "machinery". The KA mixer, blender, espresso machine, pasta maker, etc.

I just spent a small fortune because I'm cleaning and painting my son's room and I had to get him new furniture and a computer desk and I'm about to start a bathroom remodel as well, but I really could use a new cabinet for under the window in the kitchen that overlooks the back porch. I have one of those build it yourself partical board bookcases there now, but something nicer and with doors so the mess isn't open to the public would be better.

I need to take some pictures and load them up so I can post them as well. I'm very visual - I learn by seeing way better than reading descriptions, so pics are great!

Lisa

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Lisa, I have a "blank space" by the slider in the kitchen that goes out onto the deck. It has a useless decorative shelf on it right now, and my stereo is under it. If I took down the shelf and got a big cabinet, I'd have a lot more storage space, but I haven't been able to find anything I like that fits there and still fits my budget. I find lots that I really like for...oh....a couple thousand. Um, that would be a no.

Annie

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

OH! POT LIDS! I need ideas for storage for pot lids! And even worse are "tupperware" lids!

I have my pot lids in the warming drawer beneath my oven. It sucks.

I have the plastic container lids in a small plastic crate in my hall linen closet! It sucks.

Any and all ideas welcome.

Linda

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Linda, you may have missed it, but I keep lids in a drawer next to the drawer front, held in place with curtain tension rods. These are big drawers, so I can fill it along the length of the drawer front. I've also used those wooden racks that hold dishes, if your lids are similarly sized.

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

there are many different versions of these, but here's one I like if you have the space. There are smaller versions that fit the inside of a cabinet door if that's the type of space you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: lid rack

• dedtired
    14 years ago

I just went back throught this thread and wow, you all are an inspiration. Some because you are so organized and others because you make me realize I'm not alone in disorganization.

The worst thing about being a little disorganized is that I end up buying thisngs I already have. I couldn't beleive how many bottles of vinegar and bottles of canola oil I discovered over the weekend.

CC, it is reassuing to know you made some mistakes with your kitchen reno because I did too. My biggest mistake was deferring tot he kitchen designer. I figured she knew what she was doing instead of trusting my own good judgment.

I recently bought a media unit from Pottery Barn. It has drawers and bookshelves, so I moved tablecloths and placemats into the drawers and m cookbooks (at least the ones that aren't too disgusting) onto the shelves, along with my gardening books.

I keep rarely used gadgets in the basement, like the waffle iron and slow cooker. Unfortuanetly, it ends up being a case of out of sight - out of mind. I keep my wine down there too, on a rack, but I don't forget about that!

I have no place for my recycling, so I end up keeping them on the basement stairs, which opens into the kitchen. My mops, brooms, etc, end up there, too. I recently moved the canister vac into the coat closet, which is teens. I'd love to have a utility closet and a pantry, but there's no space.

I am about to begin a bathroom reno upstairs which will take away my linen closet (teensy) and a small closet from adjoining bedroom. So, I am building a new closet that will serve as both a linen closet and clothes closet. I can't wait to have some more storage space. What I should do is get rid of stuff and learn to live with less.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Linda, here is another option. I used them for three months to make sure I was comfortable with these (I got 3 sizes) before getting rid of a number of original pot and pan lids. After all, it's hard to get rid of an All Clad lid (okay, so I only had one All Clad the rest weren't expensive). The don't take you much space at all and are functional.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lids

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

OH! I love those! I can see I'm going to have to find an IKEA somewhere this year. Thanks for sharing that link.

• sonepi
    13 years ago

The link for the Ikea lid no longer worked, I updated the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Lid

• murphy_zone7
    13 years ago

As a seldom poster, I am blown away by this thread. How did I miss this in February? and Thanks to sonepi for bringing forward again. Awesome ideas, great pics, and a wealth of info. I fall in the middle of organization....some things are super organized and others are a mess like my plastic/tupperware container cabinet. This thread has inspired me to get in the kitchen and do something about it now! And I absolutely love the drawer divider things from Lee Valley. Had no idea anything like that existed and I have a drawer in desperate need of some kind of organizing. Well actually more than one drawer... LOL
    Thank you all so very much for sharing.
    Murphy