How Do You Organize Your Kitchen?
16 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (102)
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
How do you organize your seeds?
Comments (8)Some time ago (early 2003 or 2004, I think) I purchased a lot of 1 oz. glass bottles with lids that just fit in a manuscript box. Each box will hold 108 bottles. I have 4 boxes that are pretty much full of tomato seeds. (There are a few vacancies that are upside down as seen in this photo.) I have a spread sheet that list each Variety, Bottle Number, Original Source, Qauntity in bottle (provided I update it), Type (Beefsteak, chery, stuffer, Paste, etc.) Shape, Size, Color, Growth (Det, Semi, or Indet), Leaf type, Days to Maturity. This year I have added a Last Grown Column (and hope to fill, I need to go through all the garden "maps" and such). I am going to take better notes from now on. At least I plan to. *grin* Each bottle has a number on the cap, (veggies numbers start with V, Peppers with P, herbs with H, tomatoes have no letter, just the number) and a label with the variety, bottle number, source and year. Complex? Perhaps. But it helps me keep it organized, as long as I remember to update the spreadsheet! Bets...See MoreHow Do You Organize Your Spices???
Comments (42)I keep most of my good spices on three little shelves inside the door of my freezer. Onr shelf has 7 spices that I ALWAYS use when I'm cooking Italian - thyme, oregano, sage, fennel seed, savory, marjoram, rosemary. I just used them tonight. Yanked them all out, took 1 tsp of each and added to the pot and put them back on the same shelf. I made indian curry for lunch. I just started this new little shelf - has curry, garam masala, mustard seeds, cardomom pods, cumin, coriander, cloves and cinnamon. (still need to buy asafoetida.) Numbers are marked on each label since it is not so easy as 1 tsp each. Guess I need to start a "Mexican". May use some of the duplicates. Yes, I have duplicates. I have bottled up in a ziplock bag and stored at the back of the fridge. I have a standard spice cabinet where I keep cheaper spices such as Adams or McCormic. Not too many of these. The ones I freeze are all organic with no preservatives....See MoreHow do you organize your recycling? (Pics?)
Comments (34)We live in the country, too. There is a weekly trash pick up service in our area, but we don't use it. It takes us a month or two to fill a single 30 gallon trash bag. When one is full, I take it to the trash & recycling drop off and pay a by-the-bag fee that is probably one tenth the cost of the pickup service. I have made a concerted effort to stay off mailing lists, and we still get plenty of junk mail, which we shred. We have poor soil, so the shreds get sprinkled wherever we need the organic matter the most. I'd rather compost than burn. Yeah, I admit, sometimes it looks like confetti on our lawn, but the lawn is getting thicker! We compost vegetable scraps from the kitchen, autumn leaves, etc. As for cans and bottles, we recycle everything possible. Only non-recyclable plastic and meat bones find their way into our trash can, even with all the decluttering I'm doing with the help of FlyLady. Household items that are useful to someone else go to the Re-Use It Center, or I Freecycle them on the front porch. At first, I used a couple of cardboard boxes for the recyclable materials. But leaking liquids made them messy. So I replaced them with clear plastic bins that could be washed. I measured the shelf in the garage where we keep the recycle bins. I went to two or three stores that had a good selection of plastic storage containers. I used my measuring tape to be sure that whatever I got would fit into my space. I only need two boxes. One is for styrofoam, which shares space with a bundle of #2 & #4 plastic bags. (The bags are easy to pull out at the recycle place.) The other box holds cans, recyclable plastic & glass, which is how my local recycle place wants everything sorted. I also got a smaller box with a snap-tight lid. The mice chew aluminum foil and make a mess, but with the lid, I can keep foil out in the garage with the rest of the recycle stuff. When I have trash and/or recycling, I drive it over to the place which is also conveniently near some of the stores I need to visit anyway. I can combine my errands and save gas. It works out well for me. MaryLiz...See MoreHow do you organize your hanging tops in your closet?
Comments (23)Sleeve length and TYPE. My closet is a sea of black. Cashmere is folded, and the few colors, easy to see. All silk shirts together......easy to see as well. Winter gets cleaned ans stored free ( paid up front ) at the dry cleaners, summer goes to crates in the late fall, and remains until spring. Easy peasy. If I'm not wearing it, I don't want it HANGING around, unless it is totally seasonless. Bottoms are easy, they're blinding white or they are black, Yeah............you guessed it. One is in, the other is OUT. Variety is nice, but most have far too much of it. Much like design.......it doesn't take that much variety to look good all the time. Nobody remembers what you had on, two weeks ago. Not even you. A friend and I had a joking laugh about Manhattan.... the streets a literal sea of black. " Ever wonder who wears all the colors in the STORES?? ................tourists?!" Alas......... this climate goes winter summer, summer winter in a blink. So its darn easy to switch....See More- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGN12 Great Ideas for Organization In the Kitchen
Spring cleaning? Here's how to whip your kitchen into shape
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGuest Picks: Get That Kitchen Organized!
20 products to make your kitchen work harder for you
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGet Organized for Holiday Baking
Before you crack that first egg, establish a game plan for stress-free success
Full Story
ORGANIZINGGet It Done: Organize Your Kitchen Cabinets
You deserve better than precarious piles of pots and toppling towers of lids. Give cabinet chaos the boot with these organizing strategies
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGuest Picks: Organizing Your Kitchen for the New Year
Resolve to find a place for plastic bags, compost and piles of dishes to declutter your kitchen
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGet It Done: Organize Your Kitchen Drawers
Clear 'em out and give the contents a neat-as-a-pin new home with these organizing and storage tips
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZShop Houzz: 4 Ways to Stay Organized in the Kitchen
Organize your kitchen with space-saving pot racks, spice racks, canisters and shelves
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGet Organized: Rethink the Silverware Drawer
Keep your knives and forks clean and organized with two easy storage ideas
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGet Organized: Mail Cubbies for the Kitchen
Looking to squeeze some extra storage space out of your kitchen? Try sneaking a few mail slots into your island
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNOrganizing Tips That Really Work: Pantry in a Drawer
Deep kitchen drawer keeps pantry items tidy and at hand
Full Story












beachlily z9a