SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

What Age do you visualize your parents?

palimpsest
12 years ago

My mother was 82 when she died, my father is 87 this month. When I talked to them on the phone or even see them in person, I didn't or don't see them as 82/87.

I really noticed this when my mother got dumped out of her chair at the nursing home and landed on her head. Her entire face was purple including her sclera, she had a hematoma the size of a tennis ball on one size of her forehead, which never fully retracted, and her right eye never fully opened again. So, I couldnt *look at her with these injuries even when I was with her. But when she talked she sounded exactly like she always had, and I realized internal image of her was probably my mother at 53 or so. For almost half of my life, she had a degenerative illness but I "saw" her at a particular point in her life that was right before this. (and generally wearing heels and her antique gold bracelets :))

My dad I probably visualize at about sixty. Obviously I knew my parents when they were younger than this, but that is when they stopped ageing.

Comments (23)