SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

Fireplace Insert Questions: Am I Dreaming?

leafy02
14 years ago

I am thinking about putting a fireplace insert into our fireplace, and I have questions that I'd like answered by someone who isn't selling me one.

The reason for getting the insert would be to increase efficiency, but I am also really wanting to know whether it will eliminate the smoke/soot effects in the room.

Our fireplace has glass doors, but it seems like we're losing heat and I know we're getting drafts as sometimes the room suddenly smells like campfire even though it's been a few days since we've had a fire. Also, the brick area above the fireplace is sooty. How much of this is just permanent from previous homeowners' fireplace usage and how much is ongoing I can't tell, because I couldn't ever get the soot cleaned off to start with.

I would like to paint the brick area around the fireplace white, but not if it is just going to get all sooty, even with the insert.

So, if you have an insert, I'd like to know if there is any soot/smoke coming into the room that would make the brick surround sooty.

Thank you!

Comments (16)