SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thorpe_gw

Fireplace Insert Questions

thorpe
17 years ago

IÂm looking at getting a fireplace insert, not really because of the savings but because itÂs a renewable source and I like the idea of being more self sufficient, my lot is 12 acres and is totally wooded and I hate to see all that fuel going to waste. Plus my wife has no body fat, runs around half naked, and likes it toasty warm in the winter.

My house is on the large side, 3500 square feet for the first and second floor, 1800 in the basement, and another 800 feet in a walk up attic (which is used for storage but isnÂt really climate controlled though the HVAC is run in there and there are registers).

It was built in 2000 so the heating system is fairly efficient, 500 gal propane tank and gas heat for the basement (no thermostat) and main floor (thermostate), the second floor is a heat pump. There are two wood masonry fire places, one on the main floor and one in the basement, and a gas fireplace in the master bedroom.

ThereÂs a lot of windows and the design of the house is open with a 2 story foyer and two staircases, one in the foyer and one in the back off the family room where the fireplace is so air flow to the two main floors of the house should be no problem. ThereÂs one staircase to the basement so airflow is limited, my home office is down there and I telecommute so I spend a lot of time down there and IÂm worried about it being too cold with the heat source on the main floor.

Questions:

I confused about the catalytic converter. Some people are saying get an insert with one and it will be more efficient, others that they are problematic and need to be repaired too often and limit at what temp you can burn the stove?

How many BTUs should I look at?

The two existing masonry fireplaces are vertically in line with each other and the chimney is full brick, how much of a concern is insulating this mass from the firebox? Do I want to heat up this mass or not?

BlowersÂhow many CFM is a balance, IÂm worried about noise since the insert would be in the family room.

Should I consider get a smaller cheaper insert for the fireplace in the basement? Am I going to save a lot on installation if I get two put in at the same time?

My dad had a Nashua wood stove installed in the late 70Âs, it was a small house, and that thing would run you out of the living roomÂ.IÂm worried about the family room being uninhabitable because of the heat.

Comments (6)