SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
centralcacyclist

Look what I found!

centralcacyclist
11 years ago

Alice wanted a bread machine so I headed for the thrift store and found one. On my way to the register I found this aebleskiver pan. How could I resist? I don't need another pancake ever in my life but I thought a few batches would be fun. I'll likely pass it to Alice who is the breakfast bread lover (pancakes, waffles).

I cleaned it up with steel wool and oven cleaner. Here it is after being seasoned.

Now I need a recipe. Does anyone else make aebleskivers?

Eileen

Comments (23)

• User
    11 years ago

Good find.

I have an Aebelskiver cast iron pan too. Don't use it often, but when I do, this is the recipe I use.

Aebelskiver
    Violiz2

1-1/2 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup buttermilk
    2 eggs
    1 cup sour cream

2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 tablespoon sugar

Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar together in a large bowl.

Beat eggs, buttermilk and sour cream together. Add vanilla. Stir into flour mixture.

Heat Aebelskiver pan over medium high heat.

Add a little oil to each cup. (about 1/2 teaspoon or so).

Spoon about 1/8 of a cup of batter into each indent. Let cook for 30 to 45 seconds. Use a tooth pick to make sure that the batter isn't sticking and when the bottoms are brown, use the pick to turn the pancake over.

Serve warm with maple syrup or dusted with powdered sugar.

• jadeite
    11 years ago

I need another kitchen tool like I need a hole in the head, but I was curious to know what makes aebleskivers different from cake doughnuts? I see that they're cooked differently, but do they taste different?

Cheryl

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

Totally different texture. More popover like in my opinion.

I have not tried Ann's recipe but it looks fantastic! Need to drag out my pan and whip some up!

• centralcacyclist
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Copying. Alice is coming home today for a few days. We'll be making these.

E

• User
    11 years ago

Cheryl, Aebleskivers are like a cross between a donut and a pancake.

~Ann

• centralcacyclist
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The ones I have had in a restaurant were as Ann describes, cake-like fat pancakes. The recipe in this link would probably yield something more like a sweet popover.

Eileen

Here is a link that might be useful: Other recipe.

• loves2cook4six
    11 years ago

OOh, love!!! I found one in a "junk" store in New Mexico. I knew what it was but it was covered in rust and no one else knew what it was. I paid $2 for it.

I posted my find here and got lots of advice for cleaning it up. Makes yummy aebleskivers. Definitely making some more after Passover.

• Rusty
    11 years ago

WOW! ! !
    I've been wishing for one,
    and watching thrift stores, garage sales, etc. for one.
    I wouldn't use it enough to justify buying a new one.
    I'll bet you're really going to enjoy making (and eating) them.

Maybe one day I'll find one.
    Good things come to those that wait. . . . . .

:>)

Seems like I remember another thread on here
    Quite some time ago,
    That had some recipes for them,
    And they had a filling in them.

Rusty

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

Rusty - I too remember that thread and did a couple of searches....... to no avail.

Loves2 - what was the name of that thread you posted

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

I am not sure, I think Aebleskivers are the spherical round ones, and Dutch pancakes are the flatter round ones. So there are two kinds of pans.

I think you can use any kind of semi-thin batter, pan cake, waffle, etc.

The fun thing with Aebleskivers is to make savory Aebleskivers. Plenty of recipes on line.

dcarch

• User
    11 years ago

Nice fine.

I got the pan from W&S a couple of years ago. The grandkids like them, especially my granddaughter. My grandson prefers waffles.

Since it's basically a waffle recipe, I mix up my usual waffles and some go into the Aebleskiver pan and some into the waffle maker and everyone is happy.

I've also made the Dutch Babies, which are very good, but we couldn't quite figure out what to do with them. A serving is about 1/8 of a "cake" (the recipe makes two) which isn't much, so they seem to be more of a garnish rather than an actual breakfast like pancakes.

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

I have fond memories of when I purchased mine. Vacuumfreak, Peppi, Sheshebop, Shaun, (did I forget anyone?) and I met in Orlando and shopped at WS.

Sheshebop is knowledgeable about Aebleskivers so at her encouragement I bought one. The Grandbabies love them so I make them 'cause the other grandma only makes flat pancakes.

• pkguy
    11 years ago

I've never seen one of these before. Are they what we call donut holes?

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

I live about 4 miles from the Nordic Ware outlet store. I always pass it on the way to my favorite grocery store. Reading this thread prompted me to stop in today.

I bought a cake pan that will make a pirate ship, and another that will make a castle. I already have a large cast iron ebelskiver pan - but the outlet store had mini-puff pancake pans. I bought the only two they had left. One for me and one for an unsuspecting forum member!

Can you believe we still have this much snow left? And it's been sunny and 40-50 degrees for two days. This is how it goes in Minnesota. Winter one day and spring a week later.

I hope the unsuspecting forum member loves the mini pan. It will make 5 ebelskivers at one time.

Barnmom linked a recipe that looks light and tasty. Thanks Eileen.

Ann posted a recipe that produces a heavier/denser product but is considerd more traditional by some.

The recipe I use makes a pancake puff that is almost like a popover.

Great find Eileen. Thanks for posting it. I see a couple of other older threads on the subject were brought to the top because of your thrift store score. I hope Alice enjoys it for years to come.

Teresa

• artsyshell
    11 years ago

Great score! Enjoy your pan, and it's rewards!

• annie1992
    11 years ago

That IS a great find, Eileen, I'd have gotten it too, even if I don't have room to store it.

I really need to find a place to keep all my "stuff". I have a cake pan shaped like a train engine, a NordicWare bundt cake pan shaped like a castle, a regular one. A cast iron pan that makes muffins shaped like kittens, one to make corn muffin sticks shaped like fish, another makes 12 rose shaped cupcakes and one makes cars and trucks. A waffle iron that makes farm animals. Plus square pans and round pans for tiered cakes and a whoopie pie pan and a cake pop maker and.....well, you understand.

I'd still have gotten the aebelskiver pan, though, and Elery doesn't even eat pancakes!

Annie

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

Great score on the aebelskiver pan. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled at Goodwill. I know I've seen one there in the past and didn't know what it was, so let it go.

Can I just say, TheresaMN, that I am extremely jealous that you live near a NordicWare Factory Store! It is probably a good thing I don't but wow, I would be in there all the time if I did. Baking pans are so much more fun to shop for than shoes!

• anoriginal
    11 years ago

AH, another thrift store person! I found mine at a thrift store for less than $5. Haven't used it much, but for the price, a nice addition to growing collection of cast iron stuff. Found a 2nd later... will give to my sister.

Recipe I found... not a doughnut at all? More like a pae "poof"?!? I use wooden skewers to flip them.

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

Mabel - can I call you that? I'm sure I will butcher your name if I try to spell it!

Nordic Ware is a Minnesota company. They opened in 1947. Their new outlet store/showroom is next to their factory in St. Louis Park. All the talk about ebelskivers made me want to visit. I should've taken pictures inside the store. It's huge. I had no idea they made so many different products. Who knew there were specialty pancake molds to make farm animals, monkeys, dinosaurs, bugs and who knows what else!

I have lived within a few miles of the factory for the past 35 years and only visitied the store a handful of times. Their first outlet store was two blocks from the condo I used to live in. I will say it's a good thing I don't visit often!

Teresa

• centralcacyclist
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Klseiverd,

Would you mind posting your recipe? I'd like to compare recipes.

Alice came home for a few days (spring break) and these are on the menu.

E

• compumom
    11 years ago

Here's something I just came across online--

Here is a link that might be useful: aebleskivers

• Rusty
    11 years ago

Teresa_mn, it is 85 here now.
    Your snow looks so good to me!
    Last week we had one day of 95,
    that same night it went down to 42.
    Actually, that's pretty typical of Texas this time of year.
    And many other times of year, too.

It's a good thing I don't live that close to a Nordic Ware store!
    Their pans are wonderful!

Compumom, the picture & recipe in the link you posted
    Is going into my 'dream on' file,
    along with the other recipes posted.

Barnmom, hope you post a follow up
    of your Aebleskivers.
    (I love that name!)

Rusty

• ntt_hou
    11 years ago

Do you want a larger cast ironed one?
    http://importfood.com/cwkk1201.html

And now watch how the Thais are using it : )
    http://importfood.com/videos/029-Dish8.html