SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

The Price of Chicken

lowspark
15 years ago

I usually buy chicken breasts almost exclusively -- I very seldom buy other parts and I NEVER buy whole chickens, they're just too much trouble. Even for broth, which I'm getting ready to make a bunch of for matzo ball soup for Passover, I use breasts.

After reading through Bobby's thread yesterday on using a pressure cooker for a whole chicken, I started thinking that it would be more economical to use a whole chicken for broth instead, especially since I just use the boiled meat in the soup and for chicken salad, so who cares if it's just breasts?

I had actually planned to by the chicken yesterday on the way home as my local grocery store had the breasts on sale for $1/lb (I usually stock up when they have that sale). But I thought, hey, if the breasts are $1/lb, then the whole chickens should be even cheaper! Right?

Wrong. Here's the price breakdown:

Breasts (bone in and skin on): $1/lb

Thighs: $1/lb

Drumsticks: $1/lb

WHOLE chickens: $1.09/lb

Does that make any sense?? I bought my usual breast packages but decided to also buy a package of drumsticks just to add a little bit of flavor to the soup. Whew! No dealing with a whole chicken for me!

How does the price of whole chicken vs parts stack up in your neck of the woods?

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!