SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bestyears_gw

Teens/Summer Limits

bestyears
10 years ago

Looking for some input and opinions here...

DD is 17. Last summer she was a new driver, having had her license just six months at the beginning of summer. This year she's a more experienced driver, well past the legal limit of one other under-17 rider in the car, etc. Also, she's growing up and somewhat naturally expanding her social life....

During the school year her curfew is 10 pm on weeknights, midnight on the weekend. She's an excellent student, very well thought of, has a part-time job, blah, blah, blah... She also tends to push the limits. This last week at school has given me a glimpse into her expectation for summer and I thought I'd see what other families do before we sit down to have a chat with her.

We don't technically have the "It's a workday and we have to get up and go to work" excuse that others do, since my husband is retired, and I pretty much only work during the school year. Nonetheless, I don't particularly want to stay up till midnight every night. My thought is 11pm Sun-Thurs nights and midnight Fri. and Sat. nights. What are typical consequences if your teens miss curfew? Also, how far do you let them drive? We've only just started letting her occasionally drive to the beach an hour away. We border a large city, which they are wanting to go into more and more. Although she works, I've up until now purchased her gas for her car (because she wasn't working, and when she got her job, it didn't seem fair to penalize her for that). It hasn't been an issue, because she only used a tank every three weeks or so. I can foresee that becoming an issue too though.

So I'm just looking for some general input about limits and expectations of teens this age (just finished jr. year)....

Comments (16)