SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deepthought_gw

Advice? please! Dealing with in-laws and dating agin

deepthought
13 years ago

Im sure many people have been in this situation before and I know there is never a "right" answer. But if others have gone through a similar situation and can share any of their own stories and experiences, it might help to not feel so alone.

I am dating this man that lost his wife 6 months ago to cancer. He selflessly cared for her for two years before she died, with little help from her family. They had a son together, and he is currently 7 years old. Since the wife's death, the extended family has stepped up and are helping with childcare. We met very perchance about a month ago, at a mutual friends birthday party and it was attraction at first site. On our first date, he shared his situation and I admit, it was a little bit of a mental struggle. Was he re-bounding? was he ready? what about the son? what would he think? I realized I had to think carefully, and that more feelings were risked here then just my own.

However, as we dated, I realized that he was a very solid individual and had spent a lot of time thinking about what was important, what his wife meant to him, and how to move on. I have met his son now and we keep it simple when we are out together. Thats not the problem... its the in-laws. Word is getting out that he has a "girlfriend" Certain family members are calling him up to feed him the riot act about how disrespectful he is, how he needs to wait 1-2 years. Telling him that he is selfish, and hurting his family. The in-laws are obviously feeling resentful for taking care of his son so much, while hes off with "another woman". However, this man doesn't want to separate his son from the extended family, because there are step brothers, and cousins that he has become close to. My advise was to step up and be more strict about the times that he cared for his son, but he is just so frustrated that the in-laws are trying to tell him what to do and how he should be feeling, that I dont think he knows what is the best action to take. Any advice? Anyone been in similar situations?

Comments (3)

Sponsored