SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnamp14_gw

Advice- helping the in-laws?

donnamp14
17 years ago

I am a daily visitor to this site and now I need your advice. I'm a pretty neat, clean and organized person. I wasn't always like this, but I find I really do function better when things are clean, neat and organized around me. I'm not obsessive, I just like little visual clutter. So, here's the problem: My in-laws. They are in their late 70's and their house is such a mess it's a health hazard. MIL is just a slob, but FIL likes things neat and he has expressed that he "has to get rid of things". But, he's been saying that for years. He simply cannot throw anything, ANYTHING away. Moldy bread and cheese, empty bags, torn clothing, anything. Every time we go up there, Dad give us this useless stuff, which we smile and take and toss in the trash as soon as we eget home. Lately, though, their house is so bad that I refuse to eat anything there nor use their bathroom. It's that bad. Between the 4 broken vacuum cleaners, and the hundreda of bags of crafts stuff, it's so bad their cellar and "shed" are full, and now he has "built" a lean-to in the yard covered with a bluetarp for things he finds along the sides of the road, like discarded kitchen counters, etc. Get the picture? It's out of control. I work full time and am in grad school, and I am fighting with myself about offering to clean it for them. SIL has said we'd have to get a dumpster. That's how bad it is. I don't want to intrude on their personal space, but I do think this is a crisis. They may trip on stuff, or eat rotten food, or have a fire in the cellar, which has just one tiny path to the washer, it's so full of old stuff. Like electronic dog collars (no dog) and two freezers filled with frozen cheese-its and 5 year old hamburg. Really. Can I have your opinions? Should the kids (all grown, in our 40's and 50's) come in some consecutive weekends and clean it up, at the risk of offending them? They're really wonderul people, but simply cannot throw anything away and it's getting dangerous. I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings. Thoughts?

Comments (14)