SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
handust

Can you help me 'put together' my new bed?

Lisa
17 years ago

Thanks to the terrific input I got here regarding whether to buy a queen or a king sized bed, I am now the proud owner of a brand new king-sized memory foam mattress. We unpacked it last night and I LOVE it!!

Now this sounds silly, but I just don't know what to do next. We have only the foam mattress -- no box springs/foundation, no bed, no bed frame. Our old queen bed is a wood and metal sleigh bed, which I've always loved, but I'm ready for a new look. We are on a tight budget due to a recent addition/renovation, so $$ is definitely a consideration. I have been thinking very seriously about creating our own headboard -- I've seen lots of ideas that I think would work nicely, possibly a paneled or even an upholstered headboard.

But what do I do/buy for the actual bed? I realize I don't need a box spring/foundation for the foam mattress, but platform beds seem to be a bit too modern for our style. I don't think I want a footboard, so I basically need to know what people with just a headboard do with the bed. Do I just buy a metal bed frame and a low-profile king foundation? Or do I need to buy a wood bed frame? Do you connect the headboard to the bed, or do you just hang or connect the headboard to the wall and just set the bed up against it?

Sorry for such basic questions, but I just can't seem to wrap my brain around how to work this out! Thanks so much for any ideas.

Comments (4)