SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renovatingwoman

Jagged edges on original hardwood floor in old house

renovatingwoman
13 years ago

I pulled the carpet out of an attic room in an old 1905 house that I bought recently. I was pleased that the floors looked nicer then I thought but they are painted a darker brown/maroon some sort of color.

Anyways I have some issues and I'm wondering if anyone could help

1. The wood is jagged at one end of the room - I mean there's gaps in five boards that are more then 3-4" from the wall of the home - other boards are anywhere from 1/2" to 2" gaps. I can see that there's some sort of thin strip around the other walls that looks like wood, and painted I can't really see it. Not sure what to cover the gaps with.

2. It's a kids playroom room, so I've thought of just painting over the wood that's already painted, a lighter color, or white since my heritage is Swedish. I already painted the room a light blue with darker blue accents. If I paint over the wood that's already painted, would I need to prime and sand?

3. I think the rest of the house has the same colored painted wood throughout the house, hopefully without the big gaps. A handyman guy said it was poor work from the start of the house, not the house itself. Could I put laminate hardwood over the floors to fill the gaps and make it look nicer? Would that be the best way? Until I pull carpet from the rest of the house I won't know.

4. Do they make any type of baseboard/trim for the bottom of the walls that wouldn't look crazy that would be wider then the thin trim now that was apparently put in for the carpet, raised up from where the hardwood floor was?

Comments (3)