SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
little_e_gw

Replacing hardwood flooring in 65 year old house

little_e
11 years ago

I have a 65 year old house that I am replacing all the maple strip hardwood in. The first floor has pine diagonal subflooring, looks like one by six planks. I have an unfinished basement and so I can see that it appears to be in really good shape and I don't think I will need additional subflooring layer down on top of that before the new hardwood. The second floor also has pine planks that run perpendicular to the joists but on this floor I can tell that a lot of the planks have come loose from the joists. The squeaks are unbelievably loud and sounds like the old hardwood and subfloor planks are moving up and down a fair bit in some places. Once I rip out the existing strip hardwood, I'd like to just screw down all the subflooring back to the joists. What types of screws do you use for this? Will normal wood screws suffice? I'd like to avoid having to put additional subflooring on top, such as one quarter ply, as the budget is tight. Has anyone had good success with eliminating squeaks with just screwing down planks to the joists and then new flooring on top of this? Thanks.

Comments (11)