SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marigene_gw

What's For Dinner #266

Marigene
16 years ago

I had a couple of Cornish game hens that needed something done; so high heated roasted them. Side was a rutabaga/potato gratin.

{{gwi:1497685}}

Comments (100)

• Marigene
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The dirt bomb is beautiful....I am making them today for a friend's birthday, in fact, I should be doing that now instead of drooling over Chase's walleye, Sol's yellow grits soufflé and Nancy's sweet roll, that I would love with my coffee right now!!

Dinner last night was marinated shrimp and yellow rice. Best meal I have had this week...shrimp with red curry paste is one of my favorites!

{{gwi:1497764}}

• User
    16 years ago

Oh my all the meals look so good :) Nancy your rolls look so yummy, think I will take a bite to go with my coffee.

And those salads have me drooling for fresh veggies. I can't wait for the growing season to begin, but not today, we are in the teens with more snow headed our way ... sigh.

• Related Discussions

LX266 engine swap a success

Q

Comments (11)
    We have gotten alot of rain with in the last week or so (unsual for this time of year in Central OK.. I still need to remove the gas tank and clean it out. Tractor must of set for awhile, inside of the tank is way pass cleaning time. I got to figure out how to get the rear fender cover off (pedal drive) to get to the molded gas tank that molded to the shape of the fender and molded around the rear end oil tank. don't want to plug up my new carb. Besides I got two others in tip top shape to mow with. As far the wiring I only had to splice two wires which already had splices anyway from the old engine (that I cut out) I put on a few months ago. the other wires I was able to unclip and reclip in the connectors. I couldn't do this to the coil kill wire or the carb. shut-off so I spliced them. Guess I could of used the carb. shut-off off the old engine, but the wires were in bad shape had had splice anyway. Once I get the gas tank cleaned out it will be in fully reconditioned condition. I got pictures, but can't remember how to post them on this site. Rc.
    ...See More

Lx266 gas tank removed

Q

Comments (5)
    I just pressure washed it. took 45 min. to get the tank out. about hour to clean it out. Figure about hour to reassemble. I know your joking, I don't think JD factory workers would paint parts on the concrete floor as you can see the black over-spray. Speaking of; what's good to use to get over spray off with out blemishing my pretty green paint???? I'm an avid user of carb. cleaner the mulit-purpose cleaner, but it also takes a thin layer of orginal paint off too, which I want to aviod.
    ...See More

Kitchenaid (KFIS27CXMS) 26.6 cf refrigerator? vs Samsung , etc..

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks for the responses so far. Our local Lowes had the Kitchenaid KFIS27CXMS right next to the Samsung 298 model (w/2 icemakers) so my wife and I were able to compare the layout of both models. The Samsung seemed slightly more refined and elegant in the inside. All else being equal, we’d probably choose the Samsung, but it looks like we’ll be getting the Kitchenaid because the dispenser is more child friendly. We have a 2 year old and another one on the way. Here’s a summary of the physical differences: The dispenser on the Kitchenaid is about 6 inches higher on the Samsung. See below: The Kitchenaid has two paddles in the dispenser (one of water and one for ice). You press the glass against one paddle to receive ice, then move the glass to the other dispenser for water. The Samsung has a single paddle. You press a button above the dispenser to change from ice to water. Since the Samsung is already six inches taller, a person needs to be able to reach an additional six inches to press the button. This means that an additional 12 inches is needed to operate the Samsung. The drawers on the Samsung pull out further than the Kitchenaid for both the freezer and the snack tray. I’d say that the ergonomics on the Samsung are slightly better here. In the two photos below, the Kitchenaid is in the front and left, and the Samsung is in the rear and right. The photos below are a little misleading because the Samsung base is a little further out already. Above: Kitchenaid is in the foreground. Samsung is in the background. Above: Kitchenaid is left; Samsung is right. I thought that the Kitchenaid freezer drawers looked a little more industrial and that the Samsung looked a little more elegant. The Samsung has a single auto pull-out tray with an ice tray, while the Kitchen has two separate trays. The ice scoop in the Samsung is a nice touch, though I have read a complaint that ice sometimes gets raked out of the tray and onto the floor when the drawer is opened. Ice makers: On both models, the ice maker for the dispenser is on the top left ceiling of the refrigerator. However, the KA stores the ice in a removable container in the door, while the Samsung stores the ice in a removable container as part of the ice maker (top left ceiling of the refrigerator). Above: Kitchenaid ice tray in the Open position. Above: Kitchenaid ice tray removed. Above: Samsung ice tray partially removed. Above: Samsung ice tray removed. The KA tray seems larger, but it’s hard to quantify. The container is significantly easier to access and remove on the Kitchenaid. However, the location of the container on the Kitchenaid means that it uses up most of the shelf space on the left door, though the Samsung’s dispenser still takes up roughly half of the door too. The Samsung uses up a bit more space on the top interior shelf. The size of the container seems (only) slightly larger in the Kitchenaid. I wonder if one produces ice faster than the other. Like I mentioned in my first post, I’ve seen several complaints that the Samsung’s icemaker’s capacity was too low. I wonder whether the complaints were driven by the container being too small, or whether the ice maker produced ice so slowly that it couldn’t keep up with demand regardless of the size of the container. The Kitchenaid’s container doesn’t seem much bigger, but maybe it refills it faster. Another complaint that I read somewhere about the KA is that the left door doesn’t stay open. I did confirm this, though it seems to be only a minor annoyance. The Samsung has only three large shelves in the right door, while the KA has four shelves of medium height. I’d prefer to have the fourth shelf of the kitchenaid.
    ...See More

Bryant 266A vs 288A Heat Pump

Q

Comments (9)
    I installed the 266ANA a few weeks ago for a customer. It probably was one of the first to be installed in the USA The 288ANA is a better unit the problem is it doesn't qualify for the tax credit at 5 tons. This 5 ton 266ANA Hybrid Heat does qualify. AHRI 3496814 266ANA060---A CSPH*6012A**+UI 315(A,J)AV066155 The 288A is actually the better made unit, it has the 2 speed condensing fan motor, the silent bat wing blade. It has the evolution powdered coated louvered casing and better refrigerant service valves. It is quieter in my opinion and easier to work on if needed do to the back panel access. The 266ANA uses the bryant legacy powdered coated lover casing and with that they have installed a larger surface area condensing coil. This larger coil also makes it harder to work on the compressor, no back access cover. It's Sort of like working on a trane from the top down. This larger condensing coil is what makes the ratings qualify for the tax credit in the 5 ton model. Maybe the higher prices you received are based on the company getting the systems?? They are very new and when I got mine for a customer they weren't released to the general dealer and public, I didn't even know the price when I installed the 266A for my customer. I'm not even sure if they are released the 266A yet, so these companies will price them accordingly not knowing their cost or they base it on tax qualifying. Which then 288ANA 5 ton would be hard to sell so they drop that to a low sale price to compensate for not getting the tax credit. I just did this for a customer last week, I gave them 500 off and they got 500 rebate so they got 1000 off the regular sale price. The 1500 tax credit they will use it by doing something else. If you are looking for the 5 ton unit to qualify for the tax credit then it's the 266ANA. Only the 266ANA and Carrier 25HPA6 are the only 2 speed systems made today that qualify for the tax credit in 5 tons. Can't get a tax credit qualifying 2 speed 5 ton from nobody else. If you want the better made unit and a little more quiet plus easier to work on for the tech then it's the 5 ton 288ANA is the way to go especially if you get the company to drop their price below the 266ANA.
    ...See More
  • canarybird01
    16 years ago

Maggie I love the look of your sweet & sour pork....one of my favourite oriental dishes!

Nancy those sweet rolls look so good! Our little patio pal wasn't a gheko (or gecko....sorry I forget English spelling sometimes) but I realized after pressing "submit" that he was a "lagarto" or lizard. We do have geckos inside the house though but they are much smaller.

Bubbe thank you for the crown but no I'm not a salad queen, just lucky to have the fresh produce growing here year round and as it also tastes so good, we do as the locals and have it nearly every day. This area is famous for it's tomatoes....yum! Your dining room view is spectacular. I think I'd be too busy watching what was going on below to be able to eat. But that take-away meal looks delicious!

Sol...beautiful as always! The grits souffle looks wonderful as does the tenderloin and mahi mahi. The tomato salad is similar to the way I have served a scoop of Spanish potato & tuna salad (ensaladilla) inside the sections of tomato.
    It's such a pretty presentation for a party table too.

Natesgramma...I bet your dirt bombs were a hit.

Chase you must try those brussels sprouts roasted with garlic and oil. I'm definitely hooked and think I could eat them for breakfast LOL!

Marigene your shrimp and red curry paste looks delicious and reminds me that I have a recipe I must use again as I have Thai red curry paste in the fridge.

I'm a confirmed pesto addict and can't get enough of it! When I see the beautiful fresh basil leaves in the supermarket my hand reaches out and takes three packages.....then goes to the pine nuts and lastly to a big hunk of parmigiano-reggiano. I just can't resist.....so I head over to the whole wheat spaghetti and buy some of that too.
    So yesterday I made it up and have some left over for spreading on something.....probably fish or chicken on Friday. I still had plenty of salad ingredients, as well as feta so as I hate to see those lovely baby leaves go into the compost, we had another salad to go with the spaghetti & pesto. The Italian parsley is growing well where I didn't plant it. Seems to do better when you ignore it! Weather is mild but we have dark clouds and rain today. The garden is happy but Bunny is not!

SharonCb

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Renee, I love your view too, but it is having decent take out places that I envy. That is one of the things I miss not living in a big city.

Oh Nancy, your sweet roll looks sooooo good. Would have gone wonderful with my morning cappuccino.

Sharon, Love your photo of pesto. Beautiful.

Last night we had penne carbonara

and Tuesday night I made Tex-Mex. Not a very appetizing picture, but it definitely tasted a whole lot better than it looked. I cooked a pot of black beans and then put a small slow roasted, chipotle rubbed pork roast in the oven before going to work. Used the beans and pork to make a 7 layer dip. Beans, shredded pork, cheese, sour cream, homemade salsa and guacamole and black olives in that order. Fried up some flour tortillas to use as chips.

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

Wow, the photos just get more awesome as the weeks go on. I have been lurking lots, have even been cooking, just not much in the mood for posting. Alot of heavy duty family stuff going on with a fourteen year old niece, and even though she isn't my daughter, the stress, worry and anxiety is the same as if she were. It's been nice to be distracted with your wonderful photos and meals! The swap planning as also a great diversion, lol.
    One night we had a prime rib roast, (cooked the way AnnT does hers), alaskan king crab, fingerling potatoes, wild mushroom saute, and white asparagus in a parmesan cream reduction sauce. Very good. The next night was an appetizer party that went over extremely well, and I want to thank you all for your help, (used alot of recipes I acquired from this forum),. Made the stacked pizza, which is always wonderful, Annt's escargot recipe although I now buy party cups (a product by van Rooy) and find those to be a quick and easy alternative for the escargot. The things were devoured! With the leftover filo from the stacked pizza I made some shrimp and sesame sticks (epicurious recipe), basically ground shrimp with some asian seasonings, wrapped in filo, cigar shaped, brushed with egg and sesame seeds. People were fighting over those.
    I made some mini fritatas and topped them with some lox and a dollop of horseradish cream cheese, some alaskan king crab legs with garlic butter, some mini pitas that i stuffed with the sliced leftover prime rib, some gruyere cheese, and some berry balsamic carmelized onions, topped with some cream cheese/horseradish. These were then warmed in the oven to melt the cheese. Roasted a duck (according to AnnT's method of cooking it in broth first then roasting at high heat). I brushed the duck with some hoisin and five spice for roasting, then mutilated it into bite sized pieces,lol. Some veggies, sausage and cheese rounded out the appys.
    Monday night was a pork tenderloin in char siu sauce with a soba noodle vegetarian stir fry, (we love soba noodles which we have just recently tried), and some edamame. Last night was a pizza that I was testing for cooks illustrated. Very good but not worth the ammount of time. Tonight will be leftover pizza, as hubby will be at a work function.

Thanks again for the wonderful recipes and meals you all take the time to post!

Shelley

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Ann, the pasta looks delicious and the picture is wonderful!

Nancy , those buns.....wow..

Lee, drop plop and roll, LOL

Sharon, I ca't wait to be able to snip some fresh parsley, and chives again, the simple things make me happy!

Sooner, asparagus on sale here this week too, 1.69 a lb...

Marigene , your shrimp look delicious

Shelley, sounds like you have had some wonderful meals!

Our last night was humble, home made sauce and meatballs, made by dh while I was out shopping. Nice to come home to..the meatballs are normal size, but they look huge. We were sitting down and I remembered to snap the pic!

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

OH MY!!!!

Every one's dinners look so yummy.....pot roast, chicken dishes, chinese, salads, shrimp, dirt bombs, sweet rolls, we just went out to dinner...I had grilled salmon with rice pilaf and mixed grilled veggies. Lee had Chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and grilled veggies. Tonight is leftovers...spaghetti (elk meat ground) you can't even tell. We love the elk meat, salad and crusty bread too!!

Linda P

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

Wonderful photos and meals since I posted on Tuesday - I'm envious!

Last night I made garlic bone-in chicken breasts on the grill along with baked potatoes w/butter & chives and salad.

Tonight will be more of the beef vegetable soup that I made the other night along with grilled cheese sandwiches (Gruyere). The rest of the soup I froze. Snow and ice heading our way so something comforting will need to be in order for tomorrow night. I need to put my thinking cap on.

Thank you all for the pictures because I so love seeing them!

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

We had chicken, yet again! I love it, dh not so much! Mashed potatoes, broccoli with garlic ,crumbs tossed in a pan with a bit of oo, and a sprinkle of locatelli , and chicken cutlets with a wine sauce...

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Shelley, You certainly have been eating well. I like the idea of your appetizer party.

Sharon, your leftover Chinese food looks better than anything I can buy around here.

Kathleen, now I have a craving for spaghetti and meatballs. And we had Chicken tonight too. Boneless grilled chicken breasts with fried potatoes. Potatoes were tossed with fried onions and green peppers. My version of those wonderful fried potatoes that SharonCB often posts.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Marigene, that shrimp sure does look good. I wonder if I like curry paste.....dunno. Hot?

Sharon, good looking picture of your pesto and the salad too. I saved the rose pic...beautiful. I'm such a flower child... :-)

Ann, I'd really like to stick my fork into your penne...yum.

Shelly, I'd say you have been cooking up a storm and it all sounds good. Hope problems with your niece improve. How did you get into testing for Cooks Illust.? Did I miss that story along the way?

Kathleen, what's not to like about spaghetti and meatballs....it's always good. Tonight's chicken has me wishing I had made that instead of quiche. Maybe over the weekend.

Dixie...I am so tired of snow. It just might be a quiet weekend here with a little peek at the sun.

We had quiche tonight. No salad, no dessert, just quiche. I know I'm going to wake up hungry tomorrow morning.

Nancy

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Nice bombs, Natesgramma!

wow, Shelley, you've been eating great! Lots of delicious food!

Dixie, grilled cheese and soup sounds great! We're getting the perfect weather for it tomorrow afternoon, supposed to anyway, now I want grilled cheese :)

Kathleen, lucky you, that Mike makes such awesome dinners :) Your chicken looks great, too!

Nancy, those knots look so good. I would love one! or two!

Bubbe, you have the most amazing view. Breathtaking! Must be so stupendous to see every day!

Ann, the chicken and potatoes look delicious! You always have the most amazing dinners! Now I crave Carbonara!

We're big on chicken, too, ended up with guests for dinner, so we grilled a few Porterhouse, and threw on some chicken cutlets to stretch, and everyone was happily stuffed :) During the prep, I sliced my finger pretty badly on one of those Kuhn Rikon Mandoline's. Was distracted by a friend in the kitchen and caught my pinky. Well, I did get it because my old one wasn't sharp any more. This one is. Very :)

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

More good looking food ....nice potatoes and chicken Ann. Those panfried potatoes with garlic and onion can really be addictive. We've also had some chicken lately and I may do some again today but I think I'm leaning towards liver and onions.

Yesterday it rained all day and there was wind as well. It was a nice change to go out walking in that kind of weather. Wolf and I each took an umbrella and went down to a little pizzeria family restaurant. As usual there was a small dish of sausage, cheese, olives and corn put on the table with the wine and beer. Wolf had a thin tenderized steak with cole slaw and boiled potatoes, while I chose a Pizza Cariñosa.....a thin crispy one with a cheese, onion and ham topping. We finished off with two cafes cortado. A little too much froth on top for my liking but the coffee was dark and strong, so it was good.

Back garden this morning in the rain. We need the water so we're happy to see the liquid sunshine.

Have a good weekend everyone!

SharonCb

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Sharon, I'd be happy with some liquid sunshine too. I'm sick of the frozen stuff. And your pesto photo is amazing.

Nancy, your quiche looks great - love that plate!

all this chicken! wow it looks so good - and Ann, your potatoes...mmm. And your tex-mex.

kathleen, i'm also craving your spaghetti and meatballs...

marigene, I have red curry paste - how did you actually make that shrimp - it looks so good!

nope, not looking at that dirt bomb - nope, not again. :-)

Well, my first attempt at duplicating the deli rotisserie chicken turned out great! I used cabogirl's recipe for sticky chicken - yum.

{{gwi:1492971}}

Roast Sticky Chicken-Rotisserie Style - cabogirl

Submitted by: Sue Rogers

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
    Cook Time: 5 Hours
    Ready In: 5 Hours 10 Minutes
    Servings: 8

Overview:

"Ever wish you could get that restaurant style rotisserie chicken at home? Well, with minimal preparation and about 5 hours cooking time (great for the weekends!) you can! I don't bother to baste the bird, though some like to for the first hour. The pan juices always caramelize at the bottom, and the chicken will turn golden brown...fall-off-the-bone good!"

Ingredients:

4 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 onions, quartered
    2 (4 pound) whole chickens

Directions:

In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Rinse chicken cavity, and pat dry with paper towel. Rub each chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Place 1 onion into the cavity of each chicken. Place chickens in a resealable bag or double wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 to 6 hours.
    Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
    Place chickens in a roasting pan. Bake uncovered for 5 hours, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Let the chickens stand for 10 minutes before carving.

I'm also going to keep trying - all the recipes you shared look so good. :-)

• Marigene
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sleet and snow here yesterday. A nice hearty soup would have been really good, but got lazy and waited until it was too late to make something involved, so I threw together an Asian? inspired soup with the remaining shrimp, chicken broth, dried lemon grass (no fresh around here), a little red curry paste, sesame oil, green onions and pea pods......the rice noodles soaked up too much of the broth, but it tasted good. Howard wasn't as thrilled with it as I was.
    Earlier in the morning I made Dirt Bombs for a friend's birthday.

{{gwi:1497802}}

{{gwi:1497803}}

• User
    16 years ago

Nice pics and meals :) We eat mostly chicken, the occasional piece of pork and no beef, talk about trying to be inventive with chicken ! Last night it was pasta and rustic zucchini bread .. I am running on "no idea what to cook", maybe I will bake today. Another snow event here, counting the days to Spring/Summer and fresh local veggies. This is the last of my zucchini from the freezer ... sigh.

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

I don't post here very often, but I actually remembered to take a photo!!
    I made Lou's pizza crust last weekend and had them in the freezer so I decided to thaw a couple and make pizza last night.
    The crust was cooked a little more than we like it, but I think I should have reduced the pre-bake part some. Lou? Any suggestions?

I baked the dough about 10 minutes, cooled, froze. Then last night I pulled from the freezer and let thaw while I made sauce. I spread the sauce on and a layer of Mozz. cheese and baked about 5 minutes (at 400), then added toppings and more cheese and baked another 8 minutes.

Very good. Just the edges of the crust were pretty crispy. We like chewy!

Here's what it looked like:

{{gwi:1497805}}

And thanks to Stacy3Âs photoÂÂÂand cabogirlÂs post for the Roast Sticky Chicken-Rotisserie Style I know how IÂm cooking that chicken thawing at home this weekend!! Beautiful photo. If it tastes HALF as good as it looks, itÂll be a big hit! Thanks.

I get inspired by ALL the gorgeous food on this thread. Then I get depressed because I donÂt have time to try it all. LOL
    I need to win the lotto or something so I can just stay home a cookÂÂÂÂ..

Pinch me, IÂm supposed to be workingÂ

Deanna

• stacy3
    16 years ago

oh Deanna - i'll have some of that for lunch, please! Yum!

And thanks on the pic. But I forgot to add that I did brine the chicken with salt and sugar overnight before I rubbed the spices on it and left it another night. I don't know if it made a difference or not - the spice rub was delicious. Also, I got NO juice at first so I couldn't baste, but after a bit, I had plenty - and the chicken looked soooo dry! So I did baste it a couple of times probably during the second half of baking...I also baked for a bit longer than 5 hours. The juice made a wonderful gravy. :-)

Here is the thread...

and the smell was divine...

Here is a link that might be useful: rotisserie chicken thread

• bubbeskitchen
    16 years ago

You all literally take my breath away! Everything got ratcheted up several notches during my absence. If not the foods (always great) then the ingredient lists and for sure the photos. This is a virtual food magazine shoot everyday.

Prolific? Wow, last night there were 40 posts, now 67. I am in awe.

Everyone's everything looks and reads great....how can I single out anyone?
    I'm going to clip more recipes on this thread and look for some of the recipes mentioned as well.

Dinner last night was at the best local restaurant. We shared an appetizer of avocado egg rolls with a spicy sweep pepper dipping sauce (irresistable) and I had sliced coulotte steak on mashed potatoes in a demi-glaze reduction topped with very delicately fried thin onions. The salad de jour was greens with pear, blue cheese, and toasted pecans.

If we are snowed in tonight our dinner with friends will be cancelled and I'm prepared to eat at home. I have meatballs (seems another WFD food trend) and either pasta or gnocci. I have broccoli de rape and salad greens on hand.

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

OK enough with the shrimp dishes and pasta dishes! I already have dinner started and you are going to make me change my mind!

Deanna that pizza looks so good! Perhaps another time your crust will be more to you liking if you cook it with all the toppings on a reduce the time by a few minutes.

Stacy that chicken looks mouth watering! Did you use a wet brine or just salt it?

Sharon as usual your pictures bring us sunshine, even when it's raining there! That little "tapas" dish is wonderful, what type of corn is that?

Last night I was on my own and just grazed on some amazing Saint Paulin raw milk cheese, olives and prosciutto and melon.

Tonight will be Chicken and Asparagus crepes but what I really want is Gina's Lemon and Shrimp Linguine!

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Deanna:
    I haven't been in here much lately. Just happened to peep
    and saw your pizza.
    I prebake them, just until they are firm and have some Tan spots .
    Then cool them Quickly and into the freezer. don't stack too high, until frozen.

If you Prebake them too much, baste the darker spots with water, when baking the Pizza.
    When I freeze a finished Pizza, I baste the whole thing
    with water, when rebaking.
    Next time Save me some.
    LOU

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

There's a whole pizza left Lou.................waiting for YOU!!!

I sure thought I followed your directions, but I think I baked a little too long on the plain crust. Definitely will try again! I've got one more in the freezer and I will try just putting sauce, cheese, topping, cheese and bake on a cool stone for that one. We'll see.

That crust sure bakes quick all by itself..... nice for prep, but gotta watch it!!

Deanna

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Natesgrandma, I'm glad you liked the Dirt Bombs! Yours look mighty fine.

Sharon, your Pesto looks yummy. I could eat that stuff on its own, all I need is a spoon. But seriously, forget the spoon, I'll chug-a-lug it.
    Btw, I still have a ton of Pesto left in my freezer from last summer. Nirvana in a jar.

Mon ami Mme. M! I get such a thrill whenever you hippety-hop on over here. As usual, I'm running late for work. But I promise to post the blessed pictures on Monday. And Jain ... if you're lurking, I plan to drop by GBs on Monday and harass you a bit.

Sol, I saved you for last..OH MY..it looks perfect! I understood your Spanish, and it is many years since I studied... How do you get an upside down exclamation, and what about the ques mark..usually upside down en espanol, no?

Carajo! You know Kathleen, it's hard to type and think at the same time.
    Anyway, hold down the Alt key, on your (activated) Numeric Key Pad and type: 0161 for upside down exclamation mark. And 0191 for upside down question mark.

Sharon/chase: Yes.

Nancy: Yes.

Flamingo: No.
    Kidding! Just had to break the monotony.

Here's my adaptation of a recipe from the book: Refined American Cuisine.
    My additions/changes to this recipe were: using 4 larger ramekins, instead of the 2 ounce molds called for. I also added fresh herbs (Thyme) and Cheddar cheese, in addition to the Parmesan. And I served them right in their molds.

Yellow Grits Soufflés

For the molds

8 two-ounce timbale molds, or miniature muffin pans
    1 tablespoon butter, softened
    1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal

Grease the insides of the timbale molds with butter and sprinkle with the cornmeal.

Soufflés

1 cup whole milk
    1/3 cup yellow corn grits
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/3 cup grated Cheddar cheese
    1 teaspoon fresh Thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried Thyme
    ½ teaspoon kosher salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    Pinch of grated nutmeg
    1 egg yolk
    ¼ cup heavy cream
    3 egg whites

Preheat oven to 375°F.
    In a 1-quart saucepan over medium high heat, scald the milk. Slowly whisk in the yellow grits. When the grits begin to thicken (after about 3 minutes) stir in the cheeses. Season with S & P, and grated nutmeg.
    Allow mixture to cool, then stir in the egg yolk and heavy cream.
    In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip the egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the grits mixture.
    Fill the molds to the very top. Place molds on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until set.

Remove the soufflés from the oven and allow them to cool for a minute or two before unmolding onto a serving dish or platter.

Sol

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Thank you, Sol...

Deanna, your pizza looks delicious..Hi Lou!

Stacy, that chicken looks WONDERFUL! What a pic! I still have't figured out the C thingie..lol

Marigene, shrimp and dirtbombs, on my favorite list..

Ann, the grilled chicken and potatoes is my kind of dinner!

Meatless Friday here, 4 more to go! We had baked clams and Poato Leek Soup...

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Let's see, I love Kathleen's shamrock table linens and Sharon's Gecko, and Bubbe's view and everyone's food! So, what's for dinner here? I'm still unpacking and doing laundry and catching up, so dinner was the rest of Ashley's leftover Applebee's fajitas. They were...well...icky. LOL

Sol, who says I don't already need therapy?

Annie

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Hi Annie...how are you doing now you're back home....looks like you had a great trip!

Stacy that chicken looks so delicious. I'm amazed at the difference between N.American chickens and the ones we have here. Yours are so wide across the chest and the whole bird looks sort of squarish whereas the local birds here are long, lanky and narrow chested. Definitely a whole different breed....looks like yours would have a lot more breast meat. I'll have to try that recipe for the rub.

Marigene and Ohiomom your shrimp dishes both look really appetizing. Wish I could pass on some of my lemongrass as it's grown so big it's about to burst its pot LOL.

Deanna that's a lovely pizza and a good photo as well.

Sharon (Chase) I will have to find out more about that corn they use here as a tapa...the kernels are large and frankly rather tasteless but they are used often here as a snack. They're sold in bags in the market.

Love those soufflés Sol, and if I could get grits here I would be trying to make them too.

Kathleen your shamrock linens are so pretty and go so well together with the white dishes. We love Potato Leek Soup too.
    I have made it as a cold vichyssoise in summer weather.

Yesterday I again made those garlic roasted brussels sprouts as they were so good the first time. I put some potatoes in the countertop oven with several sprigs of thyme, and after ten minutes added the halved sprouts together with 4 cloves of sliced garlic, drizzled with plenty of olive oil. Delicious! Did some carrots in the steamer. And for meat we had some of the best liver we've tasted for a long time. Just lucky I guess since we don't get calves' liver here, but it was a good beef liver, cooked with bacon and caramelized onions with deglazed pan juices. We ate every scrap and talked about it afterwards. Sometimes a dinner comes out just right and yesterday was one of those days. MMMM.

Weather today is warm and sunny. Bees are out working on the flowers and the neighbour's cat is happily sleeping on our carport roof.

Happy Birthday again to Lars! Hope you find just the right stove today.

SharonCb

• ann_t
    16 years ago

OMG I shouldn't even open this thread first thing in the morning. Now I have cravings for so many things.

Sharon, I can get calves liver and I love it. But I haven't cooked it in so long. Chicken livers are another favourite but harder to find fresh ones. I could get them any time i wanted them in Vancouver but not so much here on the Island. Unfortunately.

Stacy, what can I say. Your roast chicken is perfectly roasted. Wonderful photo.

Kathleen baked clams and potato leek soup. What could be better. You reminded me of a recipe I have from a Toronto restaurant for Clams Recanato. I could have a very happy husband if I were to make him that one of these days.

Ohiomom, the perfect pizza.

Moe requested steak last night. So I grilled a couple of New York stips and we had baked potatoes, mashed sweet potato, fresh green beans and I had some cipolini onions that i wanted to do something with so I made a combination cipolini onion and shittake mushroom in a cream sauce dish.

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

Out to dinner tonight. the first real date in a long time that was HIS idea and not mine. I'll let you know what we ate.

• bubbeskitchen
    16 years ago

LOL Ann,
    "I had some cipolini onions so.."
    I have to see your pantry sometime..you are a regular warehouse!! Steaks look great. I know what you mean about opening this thread when hungry.. Groan!

Sharon CB, your bee stung me!! Run over with some of those Brussel sprouts, that will make it hurt less. :)

Kathleen, I am not a fan of cold potato leek soup, but that hot one is luscious looking...as are the linens

Sol, what can I say???

As dusk fell last night, the snow had a blue cast (Lars, this is for you to leave foot prints on)

Cock-o-the-roost awaits dinner
    {{gwi:1497813}}
    Salad, meatballs and multi-grain spaghetti, broccoli de rape
    {{gwi:1497814}}
    {{gwi:1497815}}
    {{gwi:1497816}}

Simple, but tasty

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Kathleen that leek soup looks so wonderful!

Sharon sure do wish I liked liver becasue if I did I would love yours! LOL

Ann...thud with the onion and mushrooms!

Last nights dinner was better than the pics might suggest. Chicken and asparagus crepes with a lovely mixed green, feta and blueberry salad.

Tonight we are off to a 50th birthday party. Not sure what to expect, the husband is pulling the whole thing off and refuses all help. He really isn't the kind of guy who knows how to entertain , so we'll see. But he is a great guy so it doesn't matter at all, whatever he does will be from the heart.

It's a surprise and we are to be there between 6:30 and 7 becasue he is taking her out for a birthday dinner and will be home by 7:15-7:30 ??? OK !!!!

I made us a cheese and fruit tray at 3PM...just in case! LOL

• User
    16 years ago

I made up a batch of Lou's Pizza dough, which I prefer to the 5 minute, made a shrimp and feta cheese pizza in my "new" deep dish pizza pan from Nancy :) (which I have also roasted veggies in, this pan will get a lot of use in this household) Tossed salad on the side.

• ann_t
    16 years ago

bump

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

I made a small sirloin pork roast with a Cajun rub, roasted potato slices, roasted Brussels sprouts and sliced tomato. No pictures because I spent half an hour on the phone telling my DIL's brother and his wife how to make dog food and then we were anxious to eat.

We almost had steak but I didn't want to search in the freezer for it, but Ann's sure looks good. And so does Linda's pizza. I've never put shrimp on a pizza but know I would love it and the feta and olives take it over the top.

Speaking of feta, blueberries and feta sound heavenly together. Sharon, please tell me what kind of dressing you used. I have to make that combination soon!

Lee

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Hi everyone : I should peep in here more often so I don't get behind.
    Deanna:
    I should have said what a Great looking Pizza, Sorry.
    Ohiomom:
    You are turning into a Pizza nut too. Shrimp and Feta !!!!!!

Stacy:
    By Jove you've done it. Chicken looks good.
    Hi Kathleen
    I do a catch up later, LOU

• stacy3
    16 years ago

omg sharon that bee photo took my breath away... the spaghetti, that mushroom/onion dish, crepes, souffle!!!!!!! wow!

My inlaws are here - so I have to be quick.

We had salsa and chips when they got here - and the fresh mozzarella they always bring - mmmmm.

{{gwi:1497820}}

dinner was annt's chicken potpie with herbed crust - fantastic!!! thank you again ann.

{{gwi:1497822}}

and artisan bread...

{{gwi:1497823}}

Stacy

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Oh yes everything looks even better when you're hungry! Bubbe your snow scene is really lovely....I also find it hard to imagine not growing up with snow to play in as a kid. Lars you must go somewhere and try skiing or at least sliding down a snowy hill on a board.
    Memorable kid fun!

I'm going to post quickly and run today as it's already time for me to hit the kitchen and start peeling vegetables..

Bubbe - spaghetti & meatballs....yum
    Ann - mushrooms and onions.....delish..(I haven't ever seen those onions)
    Chase - love feta salad and how I envy your blueberries! We don't ever get them here.
    Ohiomom - pizza....yum!
    Stacy - that salsa looks great. It's another unknown over here.

Yesterday out for dinner: Wolf had breaded hake fish and German potato salad ....nothing new; I chose a goulash with noodles...it was a bit bland for my taste. I prefer plenty of spice in a goulash dish and this didn't have it. We shared the little mixed salad. To make up for the dinner, Wolf suggested an apfelstrudel with whipped cream.....and I didn't resist! Afterwards two strong little cafes cortado.

The red trumpet vine is really flowering all over the garden wall and Tigger is happy to sit in our warm sunshine.

Happy Sunday!

SharonCb

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Lee this dressing is just wonderful. I friend of mine brought it to the cottage a few weeks back. It does call for a prepared Raspberry Vinaigrette as part of the ingredients, but you could make your own.

Susan's Salad Dressing

2 Tbsp very good balsamic Vinegar
    2 Tbsp EVOO
    1/4 Cup Kraft Raspberry Salad Dressing (Signature series)
    2 TBSP Rice Wine Vinegar

Use over mixed baby greens, diced red onion, candied or roasted pecans or walnuts, sliced strawberries and fresh blueberries. Top with feta and toasted sesame seeds.

Ohiomom I want that pizza it is a masterpiece!

Stacy , gorgeous pot pie , must have impressed the in laws, but then again, after all these years, they know your many talents!

Sharon, that goulash may not have tasted like you wanted but it sure looks good!

Last night was the surprise 50th. The DH did a very good job with the catering. He said he just hired a well known local caterer and said "there will be 75 people there , just send me the bill!" LOL It was a total appetizer type event and very well done. As I suspected the birthday girl figured it out. Reservations for her special dinner, at a lovely restaurant, were for 5PM. They were the only people in the restaurant! LOL

Tonight I'm doing pot roast for the first time ever. It's not difficult I know but I have never been a fan of braises or stews. However some of the pictures of late put me over the edge. I'll post results later tonight or tomorrow.

• Marigene
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got my Saveur magazine the other day and kept going to Chicken Kiev article....so I finally decided it was going to be dinner last night. I didn't get one sealed real good and some of the "sauce" leaked out; but still tasted great.
    I also made a half dozen of the 5 minute They went faster than anything else!

{{gwi:1497833}}

{{gwi:1497834}}

• disneyginger
    16 years ago

The photographs are spectacular!

We went to the church tonight for the Knights of Columbus Spaghetti Supper. Had great sauce, the pasta was amazingly cooked to perfection, the sausages and meatballs were scrumptious and we were impressed. The bread was good and their antipasta salad was really good too. Spumoni ice cream and cookies for dessert and a few birthdays were celebrated with coffee and cake.

We're full. It was a nice meal for a fund raiser!

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Hello Everyone: Just stopped in for a minute.
    My 2 daughters were up today and we finally had the Valentines Pizza.
    Remember that one, I baked for her Birthday, 2/14. Had it for lunch. It was great.

For supper we had Roasted Chicken and potatoes, with French String Beans.

LOU

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Marigene that bread looks wonderful. Would love a slice along with Lou's chicken.

Made a pot roast last night Clive was very happy. Not being a beef person I don't cook much beef and have never done a pot roast.

This sure is an easy meal! I seared the the roast in my dutch oven then browned up some garlic and onions, added some dried thyme, dried rosemary and pepper, poured some of my beef broth over it along with a slurp of red wine. When the roast was done I thickened the pan juices and added a few cubes of my brown sauce. It was very tasty, as I say Clive was in heaven.

This is my plate as you can see while I don't care for beef I love gravy! LOL

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Marigene, your Chicken Kiev looks really good. That is something that I don't think I have ever made from scratch. I used to buy it ready to bake from a frozen meat company but that was years ago. If you get a chance to post the recipe.....
    The bread looks good. I made another batch over the weekend, baked one loaf and now letting the dough age a little. I'm wondering if there's any reason why one couldn't just make a double batch.

Lou, I love that pizza, you are such a sweetie. The roast chicken really looks good too.

So Chase....tell me, how did your pot roast taste? I know you said that you didn't want a beef stew flavor. It looks yummy to me. I don't ever use a recipe for pot roast, but I do like to give it a healthy dose of red wine.

I bought a big package of chicken thighs and legs. Decided to make Coq au Vin with them. Now I'm wondering...what do I do with the left overs? Ever hear of Coq au Vin pot pie?

So here is last nights dinner. There was cherry cobbler for dessert but I ate that in front of the TV as I watched the Oscars...

Nancy

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Sharon, I guess I never thought that the Queen of Demi Glace might not be a beef person! Thank you for the Raspberry Dressing recipe - I'll modify without the Krafts and I'll be on the lookout for nice blueberries this week.

Nancy, I think Coq au Vin pie sounds elegant - with a puff pastry crust - yum.

Lou, I'm happy to see your Pizza Pie with a Heart in the Middle (and all around the sides) again and I'm sure it was delicious. Your roast chicken looks wonderful too.

We had dinner out last night and for the first time I think I have decent pictures from a restaurant - I'll upload and be back.

Lee

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Oh Nancy that looks good...I am a chicken person! I will eat some beef, like tenderloin or prime rib certainly ground beef. I particularly do not like stews or braises involving fatty cuts like short ribs.

Nancy, the pot roast was very lean and did not have a stewed taste at all so I was good with it.

Lee here is my favourite Raspberry Vinaigrette recipe. I think it would work perfectly in the recipe I posted. It's what I intend to use next time.

The Pantry ShelfÂs Raspberry Vinaigrette

2 Tbl Raspberry Vinegar
    2 Tbl Sugar .....I usually just use 1 TBSP
    1 tsp Honeycup Mustard
    ½ Tsp salt
    ½ Cup vegetable oil

Mix first 4 ingredients in a food processor. With the lade still running gradually add oil. Store in the refrigerator.

• flamingo1121
    16 years ago

Thank you Nancy (WIZARDNM)-I made your ham loaf last night and it was fabulous. Ok it does have a funny story behind it, after I get it all put together and put it in the oven I noticed I didn't put in the ground mustard-luckily this was only 5 minutes into cooking time. So I yank it out and put the mustard in it, moosh, moosh, pat pat, make presentable..no one will know but me!

About 45 min later house smelling yummy, I go pour off fat as directed, well instead of using a baster to suck out the fat because I hate cleaning that "sucker", I decide to tilt the pan over a can in the sink. Well as I was tilting the loaf decided that it needed a little cleaning and half of it fell into the sink...plunk, slat, moosh everywhere. After much cursing, the other half went back in got lots of basting since its other half decided the sink was a better place than the oven...arrggghhh.

But it was fabulous! Everyone ate it up. DD even ate it and she hates ham, first thought it was meatloaf until DH told her it was ham but she looked at me and said "that's ok Mom, it still taste good even though I hate ham". : )

So thank you.

Oh I also owe thanks to someone on the another thread that mentioned that she heats 2 pizza stones and then places the pizza in between to make it like a pizza oven..tried that technique and that worked wonders. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Sol-thank you for the recipe!
    Heidi

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Well, I'll never catch up, but I just had to remark on Lou's "valentine" pizza, I just loved all the heart shaped pieces!

SharonCB, I'm glad to see the kitties again.

Now, I'm just going to try to figure out what the heck Sol is going to do to me....

Annie

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Sharon, thanks for posting your Raspberry Vinaigrette again. I saved it once, but it vanished somehow, along with my sanity.
    Btw, your delicious looking Chicken Crepes gave me a bump on the head, for trying to take a closer look. And I agree that steaks are nice, but gravy can proudly stand on its own.

A lot of chicken dinners in this thread. Marigene's Chicken Kiev looks great. That's a dish I made back in the 80s, and need to bring back.
    Stacy's offerings look delicious also, but I would love to dive into that fresh-looking salsa.
    Ann's steak looks just as yummy. And I'd love to take a big bite out of the crispy potato skin. That's right, not the potato, just the skin. Weird, but true.
    Luigi's Chicken also looks like a winner, but so does everything he makes.
    Sharoncb, you have the absolute best selection of restaurants at your fingertips. Someday I'll have to come knocking on your door playing the lost tourist.
    And Nancy, Coq au Vin is another dish I haven't made in several years, and I'm virtually salivating, along with Bubbe's salad. And here I sit, eating oatmeal. Oh, snap.

AB, we both have teenagers, we're due for a little therapy.

Dinner tonight will be Spinach Ravioli.

Sol

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

You're very welcome Heidi.

AB, we were typing simultaneously.
    Anyway, I love you. And I'm sorry if the suspense killing you ... I'll be ... right back ... ain't I a stinker?

Sol

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Lee:
    What is " Coq Au Vin " = Chicken with Wine ???
    I do that all the time. But usually, just one glass, while I'm cooking Chicken.

Annie:
    You know how to do a " Catch Up "??? Just say ,
    " What Sol Said, I second that "

Sol: Flattery will get you everywhere !!!
    XXXXXXXXXXX LOU

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

Aaaah, you all are killing me! Just killing me. This thread is divine. I haven't had time to cook at all - I'll be able to today and tomorrow. Think, think...

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County