SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swimjim_gw

LX266, Regent, or Baron?

swimjim
16 years ago

In a previous post I was asking for advice on what tractor I should be using for a sloped yard around .5 acres. Will be mowing up to 2 acres from time to time to help out neighbors. The machine must also perform well during fall (bagging).

Here are my choices, see what you all think...

1. New Simplicity Regent (briggs twin or kohler courage single?)

2. Used 2003 Deere LX266 with 70 hours, plow, chains, 42" deck, and bagger for $2500.

3. Used/new Simplicity Baron for $2500 (negotiable)

Now, the Baron is an interesting machine. This one is an 00 with about 7 hours use. The dealer gave up trying to sell it a few years back and now it sits in his warehouse waiting for someone to buy it. It discharges to a rear mounted bagger that is fed from a chute going between the two rear wheels. To empty it, you back up to your dump spot, hit a pedal, bag opens, you close it up and drive away never leaving your seat. It won't mulch or do traditional discharge. Originally it sold for $4200, but no one bought it as the Broadmoor or Landlord (whatever) was too close in price. Good machine, bad price point. I can't any decent info on the Baron, but it seems pretty solid to me. Paint is faded from sitting everyday in front of his store. For modern comparison, it is very very close to an 08 Broadmoor in specs.

What does everyone think? Thanks in advance as always.

Comments (3)

• giventake
    16 years ago

Offer the dealer $2k cash (no receipt) Then go in peace...

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

How do you tow with it? If you decide on the Regent, I would go with the twin. Unless you plan on keeping it forever, I would stay away from discontinued machines.

• swimjim
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I passed on the Baron...may regret that as it a very rare piece and may have value to a hobbyist one day. My Dad had a GTO that is apparently worth a lot of cash nowadays..sold it for $300 back in the 70s. Guess this will be my GTO.

On to a new post about my new ride.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions