SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliceinmd

Time for a new mixer

aliceinmd
15 years ago

We have a Kitchen Aid 4-C mixer, a wedding gift 40 years ago, which I have been told is the only KA model ever made that cannot accommodate a dough hook. When I'm mixing a double batch of cookie dough that requires 6 cups of flour, the dear 200-watt 4-C puffs a little smoke and smells of metal. That, combined with my new-found interest in bread baking, leads to several questions:

Is the Kitchen Aid Artisan powerful enough at 325 watts to handle the occasional whole wheat, oatmeal, or ciabatta bread-mixing experience?

Is the Kitchen Aid Pro600's 575 watts overkill for moderate use?

Is the bowl-lift style really as annoying as some TV chefs make it appear to be? (I was told once that the tilt-head type of person usually cannot convert to bowl-lift type. Is that true?)

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to either mixers dough hook style? (Artisan has a C-style, and Pro600 has a screw style.)

I decided to post this here, where the true users are, rather than in the Appliances Forum. It's tricky to buy some things when you can't "test drive" them, so I appreciate your input.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm