SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

WWYD? Cousin damaged vehicle

2ajsmama
13 years ago

My cousin's DH has been working on our porch remodel at a reduced (about half) price from his normal carpentry work so I am in a quandry. If he had been working for free I wouldn't mention it, full price I would treat him as normal contractor. But I had picked up some vinyl today and had 12-ft lengths sticking through sunroof of Explorer. I was working and mentioned that before he left I could us his help getting it out. He walked over and started pulling it out. I told him to open the back hatch and pull it out that way, I was concerned about scratching the hood and/or breaking antenna, he told me not to worry and pulled it all out. Later as I got the kids in the car I closed the sunroof and saw the soft vinyl trim around the opening had been "sawed". It was not that way when I got home with the vinyl b/c I had driven 25 mph holding onto the (taped) bundle with my right hand to keep it from slipping sideways and doing just that.

The vehicle is not new but we try to keep it in good shape. He was telling me about a new job he hoped to sign contract for tomorrow that he is underbidding just to get the work. They are expecting a new baby any day now (and I offered to babysit the 3-yr old while they're in the hospital). The porch job is way over budget and behind schedule so is ending up costing what his normal rate would be (or more, we're not done yet) if it had kept to the number of hours he originally quoted us (we don't have a contract and I didn't think to ask for a "not to exceed" price). He *has* had to do things like level joists that weren't expected but that didn't take twice the hours. We are neighbors and have to go through his driveway to cut our hay.

So, WWYD? I want to keep on good terms and think he might deny the damage anyway, but should I tell him? He is counting on me to keep track of his hours and pay him "whenever" (in cash, so I'm behind as I try to run to ATM and withdraw max once or twice a week). Should I tell him I'm going to withhold $100 for damages (and we're not even going to talk about the Trex deck that I started off by covering with cardboard during demo - he keeps dragging his ladder across it instead of picking it up and moving it)? Or should we just let this slide in the interest of family and neighborly harmony (and $100 is a big deal to them but not to us, though $1000 and counting for a job he bid as $400-500 is)? I haven't told DH yet.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH