SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stinky_gardener

Car Trouble! WWYD?

stinky-gardener
12 years ago

Arrived at the car shop at 9:30 this morning & just got home. They gave me a ride here, as they say my car is not safe to drive. It is a 1999 Subaru Forester. It's got a little over 75,000 miles on it.

It started shimmying & shaking at traffic lights this week really bad, & the air conditioner starting blowing hot air! First thing this morning mechanic said I needed a mini tune up, fuel system cleaning, & fuel filter: $332.00. Great! Go for it, I said!

Three hours later, all that is done & they test drive it. It overheats. It overheats so badly, they have it towed back to the shop. The head gasket is shot they tell me. They'd need to take out the engine to work on it & keep the car for a week. Then, chances are good that I'll need a new radiator. Price: $2500-$3000.

Is it worth the investment? WWYD? I know this is personal, how things work in the scheme of things for someone, & who can say how to spend others' money, but what I mean is, from an auto value standpoint...those of you who know cars...would you spend this amount to preserve it, or consider this car to be on its way out & not do the repairs?

This is very unexpected! This car has served me well over the years with few problems.

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments (29)