SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

?s for those who mill their grains

rhome410
13 years ago

I have milled Montana's Prairie Gold hard white wheat for years...but never another brand and never any soft wheat.

Recently I got some soft white wheat from another farm and used it for the first time this morning. I have 2 questions...

#1) I had to sort through the wheat a few times to make sure I got out all the little rocks and pieces of stalk. Is this normal? I've never had to do that with the Prairie Gold. Of 8 cups of grain, I sorted out 1 Tbsp of debris, so a little less than 1%. Acceptable or not? -- I am afraid of missing one of those little rocks and wrecking one of my mills!

#2) I decided to make biscuits with the freshly ground wheat. Using the recipe I've loved for 40+ years, the dough ended up to be unusually wet. I gently and quickly kneaded in more flour so that I could handle it, but barely. So, of course, the biscuits did not come out as light and tall as usual. Is it the type of wheat, or did I not grind it fine enough so that it absorbed the milk differently than all-purpose flour does? (I set my Whispermill at one notch finer than the setting I use for bread flour.) Was biscuits a bad choice for this type of wheat?

Thanks so much!

The debris:

Flat biscuits:

Comments (10)