SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Help With Whole Grains?

triciae
13 years ago

Mostly I've been on another forum recently that's devoted as a support group for Sjogren's patients since I've been in a sustained & excelerating flare for months & months. The people there are excellent with brainstorming solutions but their common bond is Sjogren's...not cooking. Since Sjogren's is systemic it is capable of attacking about every part of our bodies. Regarding food, we talk about what doesn't work but I'd like to offer a few recipies that might work for some. So many are living on instant oatmeal, jello, pudding cups, mashed potatoes/gravy, non-chunky soups, and the like it's taken significant pleasure from having a meal, myself included.

I'm hoping the creative cooks here can help me to offer something to try that might return some of that pleasure to eating. If not always, at least sometimes.

Whole grains - we all benefit from whole grains in our diet & they can be a real problem for Sjogren's patients...even dangerous. The problem is the choking hazard. For instance, I can no longer eat bread, pasta, or rice safely. I'm SO sick of mush! I've had whole grains cooked down to a thin gruel about every way you can imagine. I've tried whole grain bread made into bread pudding but in order to make it safe to eat it needs to be VERY heavy on the custard & then it bothers the GERD that many Sjogren's patients already struggle with daily. I've tried quick bread with yogurt for extra moisture - the crust is too dry & the center is too sticky - both textures can be easy choking risks.

I'd love any & all recipes - I'm just suggesting whole grains because of the nutrition/fiber.

Basic criteria - nothing that can cut the mouth/tongue, or gums (chips, crackers, toast, anything crunchy); low in acid because acid increases mouth pain & increases the GERD suffering; has to be VERY MOIST (for instance, I can't even eat crock-potted chix unless it's slathered in some type sauce/gravy & even then I've both choked and/or it's just refused to go down the hatch. Many are unable to even eat pieces of veggies. Most of those people get tired of pureed carrots so they give up on veggies - not good for a lifetime diet.

Can somebody please help me brainstorm a few recipes? Basically, think diet for an 18 month old toddler...maybe, 12 months because some Sjogren's patients have trouble chewing anything. To further complicate things the problems vary day-to-day, meal-to-meal. I might think I can eat something, then sit down to dinner & immediately choke or can't swallow. So, I'm hoping for some tasty, nutritious, good for even the worst days types of recipes.

Let me send my sincere thanks to the good people here who help me brainstorm. I'll try out all the recipes on myself before I offer them to the Sjogren's folks. There's about 4M of us in the U.S. that would love to have something for dinner besides a bowl of oatmeal or cornmeal mush with a side of Ensure.

/tricia

Comments (8)