SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Whole grain rice crispie treats

lpinkmountain
15 years ago

Having inherited some free marshmallows, I made some rice krispie treats. I had posted a while back about trying some other types of cereal to make them a teeny bit more healthy. So I got some brown rice puffed rice cereal in the health food store, and added some lowfat granola and grape nuts, for more grain variety. They turned out good, but I have to say I am a rice crispie treat traditionalist. I like mine with just the puffed rice. The recipe called for six cups of cereal. I used four cups of the brown puffed rice, one cup of grape nuts and one cup of Kellogg's lowfat granola. One of the main things I don't like is the granola, mainly because I had forgotten how incredibly SWEET Kellogg's lowfat granola is. Ugh!! And now I have a whole box of it! To me, they just taste like gritty rice crispie treats now.

I don't even think I like the chocolate ones. Maybe a little. Next time I'm going to try with some ground peanuts.

I went from one problem to the other. I had to use up the marshmallows, now I have to use up the lowfat granola. I eat it on yogurt, but not too much, due to the cloying sweetness it has.

Comments (6)