SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Dumb Questions about Sprouted Grains

10 years ago

Grainlady, I'm hoping you still have patience for my questions, and I welcome input from everyone else as well.

I've been trying to learn about sprouted grains and am in a muddle again. I get it that sprouting increases the vitamins and gets rid of the phytic acid, which is important for iron absorption.

I've also read that sprouting greatly reduces gluten. Doesn't that reduce the protein? Or is not the normal amount of gluten digestible? (Unlike many here, I actually feel better when I eat glutenous breads.) How does reducing the gluten affect the stretchiness of dough? Do you have to compensate for that?

Is there anything "wrong" with commercially sprouted whole grains? Other than the price, I mean.

Can freshly sprouted grains be truly dried in a modern oven that keeps in the steam?

Nutrimill specifically says not to use it with sprouted grains. Are those weasel words in case people use ones that haven't been thoroughly dried? Or do they really need a different kind of mill?

I started down this whole path towards milling because it would be so much more convenient than buying and storing flours, especially as I'm using more legumes, with the added benefit of better nutrition. But I figure if I'm going to do it, I want to start "right", rather than getting into habits that need changing. It's really hard to figure out what that is, however.

Comments (25)