SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Re: Fresh Milled Grains and Bylers's in Seymour, Mo.

gldno1
14 years ago

We finally made the trip to Seymour to the Mennonite owned store, Byler's. It is pretty small but they carry a lot of bulk foods and I understand they can order bulk for you.

I was interested in bread-making supplies and was delighted to find the Montana Wheat Flours in 5-lb bags so I could try them before taking the grinder, wheat berry plunge. I know it won't be quite the same as fresh ground but will give me some idea. Here is the haul. I hope you can see prices, if not, just ask. I saw the 50 lbs bags of wheat berries on the shelf below.

I had seen on Craig's list someone in Seymour selling raw milk and cream. I cannot buy pure, unadulterated cream and My shorthorn just doesn't keep up with demand! I thought it would make the trip worthwhile to do both. Here is a "it's a small world" story. We got to the dairy we found it is run by a couple who are very much into the whole food concept and she buys bulk foods from Bylers.........and uses the Whisper Mill/Nutri-Mill that we were discussing. She loves it! Grinds flour once a week and keeps what isn't used immediately in the fridge. She also buys her wheat berries and bulk coconut oil and gallon size pure maple syrup there also. They pay $40 for the syrup and he said the coconut oil is way cheaper than the small containers at W-M. They use nothing hydrogenated or partially hydrongenated. They also were the same people I was considering buying a Jersey bull from for my girls! Unfortunately the bull jumped the fence, got in a fight with the neighbor's bull, broke his leg and is now be eaten in the form of hamburger. He did tell me about another one in Ava.

It was a nice trip and took up about 3 hours to and from.

I ended up buying the quart of cream and 1/2 gallon of the richer milk just to see if DH can tell the difference.....I keep thinking about a Jersey cow to go with my Shorthorn..........

Note the dough enhancer. I found a recipe to make my own, but it calls for ascorbic crystals and I haven't found them yet without ordering online so I thought I would give Byler's a try.

glenda

Comments (11)