SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

Maximum width for site finished oak hardwood floors

Mom23Es
12 years ago

I'm struggling with flooring so much. We were so thrilled when the builder told us site-finished hardwood floors were included in the house price. We were sure that's what we wanted. Then we went to the design center, and the flooring guy there told us that he would not install oak planks wider than 4.5". He told us he preferred 3.5". He said something about our climate and changes in humidity/dryness would be bad for anything wider. He told us that if we wanted wider planks, like 5-8" wide, we needed to use engineered. Of course this type of engineered is much more expensive.

I've been looking at pictures on Houzz and paying a lot of attention to the floors. I keep finding examples of site finished oak floors that ARE wide plank. When I google I'm finding stores that advertise wide plank site finished floors. Now I'm really confused.

I want to be fine with our included floors. I'd rather not pay $6k for the upgraded hand scraped wide plank engineered floors we found. :-/

We live in Ohio. I don't consider our climate to be particularly extreme. Plus we always run our furnace or AC so inside our house says pretty constant.

Can anyone help explain this to me?

Comments (8)