SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Hardwood floors - site-finished and pre-finished in adjoining rooms?

Bunny
8 years ago

I've read some old threads about this, but am reluctant to resurrect any of them. :)

My house is a small (1250 sf) nondescript 1991 bungalow and my style is generally transitional. In 2007 I had site-finished hardwood installed in half the house (kitchen, dining, living, halls). It took 2 guys about 2 weeks, plus smells, etc. I love the look of site-finished, esp. the way the boards butt up flush with one another. That being said, I don't relish going through that process again.

My 3 bedrooms (master, guest, office) have disgusting old carpet. It has to go. I know there are pros and cons with keeping carpet in bedrooms. I'm leaning towards replacing with hardwood. However, I'm considering pre-finished this time, mostly due to the ease of installation (I would have it done professionally) and less disruption in my life. My main concern is micro bevels, but I'm wondering if one gets over that, esp. in smaller spaces with area rugs.

My existing floors are 5" unstained red oak that is now quite a rich gold. Some might say orange-y, but I like it. I would want a similar prefinished red oak, no hand-scraped or other special surface treatments.

So, do you think this can be done? The bedrooms all open off my hallway. Would I have a major aesthetic faux pas if prefinished (as closely matched as possible) met site-finished at the threshold?

Comments (34)