SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackiep9

prefinished or on-site finished hardwood floors

Jennifer Paul
6 years ago

We are just beginning to think about a kitchen remodel that will include changing our flooring. We are going to do hardwood in the kitchen and dining room (currently ceramic tile and carpet) and now I'm thinking that we might as well just do hardwood everywhere on the main level. This would mean adding the foyer, living room, and family room which is all carpeted/tiled currently.

We have two small kids and a dog and I was panicking about how we could possibly vacate the house long enough to cure wood floors, when a neighbor said that we should do prefinished since we aren't trying to match existing hardwood. I've done a little googling about this and it seems to make sense, but I'd love to hear if there are any drawbacks to prefinished hardwood floors that I'm not thinking about or finding in my research.

It seems like we could just move the furniture from half of the house into the other half as the floors are done and we might want to vacate for a day or two, but would be able to move the furniture back immediately and be in the home without waiting for the curing process that takes so long with on-site finishing.

It's about 800 sq ft of space - any cost estimates (very ball park, just so I don't freak out after the contractor estimates!)?

And I'd love to hear the pros and cons! Thanks!

Comments (9)