SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Bread recipe critique -- Will amount of butter be a problem?

shambo
16 years ago

I wanted to try this recipe today, but then noticed the amount of butter called for. I'm not concerned about the calorie count or the cholesterol. I'm wondering if the amount (1/3 cup) is excessive and if it will affect the final product, creating a heavier & more compact loaf with less volume. Thanks for your help!

Buttermilk Bulgur Bread

BobâÂÂs Red Mill

Ingredients:

1 Tb Yeast, Active Dry

3 Tb Honey

1/2 cup Bulgur (ALA) from Hard Red Wheat

1/3 cup Unsalted Butter, melted

2 cups Whole Wheat Flour

2 Tb Cornmeal, Coarse Grind

1/4 cup Warm Water (110 degrees)

2 tsp Tomato Paste

1-1/2 cups Buttermilk, warmed

1/2 tsp Sea Salt

2 cups White Flour, Unbleached

Place yeast in a large bowl. Cover with warm water; let stand until yeast begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add honey and tomato paste, and whisk until smooth. Stir in bulgur and buttermilk; let stand 20 minutes.

Stir the butter and salt into the bulgur mixture. Then stir in the whole wheat flour and about 1-1/2 cups unbleached white flour to make a stiff dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 15 minutes, adding more flour if necessary to keep dough from sticking. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turn once to coat and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume (about 1-1/2 hours).

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; punch down and divide in half. Roll and pull each half until it resembles a loaf of French or Italian bread.

Sprinkle a baking sheet with coarse cornmeal and place the loaves on the sheet. Brush loaves lightly with water; cover loosely with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, 45 minutes to an hour.

Preheat oven to 400ðF. With a sharp knife, slash the surface of the loaves four or five times; brush again with water. Bake until crisp and hollow sounding when tapped with your finger, about 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 2 loaves.

Comments (11)