SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

Transitioning Kids to Adulthood: Advice from those who've BTDT?

leafy02
12 years ago

My oldest will be leaving for college in the fall. She will be living in the dorms, but only a few miles from home. Her tuition, room and board will be paid for by her scholarship (unless senioritis gets it revoked!)so she won't be depending on us for those, but will probably need support for other expenses since we don't want her working too much her first year--so she can keep that scholarship!

I am starting to wonder what other people do, and what would be best for us to do, about transitioning her toward fiscal independence.

When I was in school my parents paid for everything and I took it for granted, abused it, and feel guilty about it to this day. I also don't feel that it was helpful to me in terms of encouraging my independence (although I know they meant 100% well).

What I don't want to happen is for her to graduate and feel overwhelmed that all of a sudden, she is on her own. At the same time, we have three right behind her who may not have scholarships, so we really need her to be financially independent at the end of her college years--although her room will still be here ;-).

I think a gradual plan that would have her taking over more of her own expenses (cell phone, clothes, activities & travel, etc.) over time would be best.

Looking back at my own early adult years, I think the best gift I could give her would be for her to know that as of graduation, she needs to support herself AND to feel like she can make that transition successfully.

Welcoming any and all advice, warnings, anything to get my wheels turning on this topic.

Thanks!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH