SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bizzo13

Squash Soup

Bizzo
12 years ago

I bought some butternut squash (already cut) at the grocery today, and would love recipes for soup with it. Any you've had success with you'd like to share?

TIA!

Comments (16)

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

Her's our favorite. It's my daughter's version of a recipe that started on Epicurious.

Hilary's much faster and better version:
    Forget about dealing with whole squash and use frozen butternut squash pieces (thawed). This cuts down hugely on the time involved in this recipe, and roasting squash isn't the fun kind of slow cooking anyway. Increase the squash: broth ratio (up to you, depending on the thickness of soup you're after). Double the ginger and triple the garlic, but only if you really like ginger and garlic. Skip the brown sugar entirely (this is critical). Puree in pot with stick blender. If you want to make it more substantial, add diced potatoes and carrots, pre-boiled for 30 minutes. Turnips would work well too. They just end up tasting like the soup, but they make it more of a meal on its own.

The official version:
    BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH GINGER
    (from Epicurious - Bon App�tit, October 1998)

2 butternut squash (about 4 3/4 pounds total), halved lengthwise, seeded
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 cups thinly sliced onion
    1 tablespoon golden brown sugar [no - see above]
    2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
    2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
    1/2 cinnamon stick
    5 cups (or more) canned low-salt chicken broth
    Chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 375�F. Oil baking sheet. Place squash, cut side down, on baking sheet. Bake until squash is very soft, about 50 minutes. Using paring knife, remove peel from squash; discard peel. Cut squash into 2-inch pieces. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-low heat. Mix in onion, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and cinnamon. Cover pot and cook until onion is tender, about 15 minutes. Add squash and 5 cups chicken broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Discard cinnamon.
    Working in batches, pur�e soup in blender. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate.) Return soup to pot. Season soup with salt and pepper. Bring to simmer, thinning soup with more broth if necessary. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
    Serves 6.

Hilary's much faster and better version:
    Forget about dealing with whole squash and use frozen butternut squash pieces (thawed). This cuts down hugely on the time involved in this recipe, and roasting squash isn't the fun kind of slow cooking anyway. Increase the squash: broth ratio (up to you, depending on the thickness of soup you're after). Double the ginger and triple the garlic, but only if you really like ginger and garlic. Skip the brown sugar entirely (this is critical). Puree in pot with stick blender. If you want to make it more substantial, add diced potatoes and carrots, pre-boiled for 30 minutes. Turnips would work well too. They just end up tasting like the soup, but they make it more of a meal on its own.

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

Oh, I moved the changes to the top without deleting them from the bottom. Sorry.

• Related Discussions

RECIPE: Butternut Squash Soup

Q

Comments (7)
    I am a seat of the pants cook.....and I make squash or pumpkin soup like that.... The secret is in the chicken broth. Home made.....cooked with lots of onions celery carrots, parsley, a few carrots, some pepper corns.....strain all out and proceed with your soup.....using cooked and pureed squash or canned pumpkin!....easier and just as good. BUT....if you forgot to start on your soup the day before yesterday....you can get a pretty good imitation of the home made stock by sauteeing some green onion, celery and parsley and some crushed cumin seed....very little, in butter....very slowly....adding flour equal to the amount of butter you used....cooking for a couple of minutes and whisk in canned chicken broth. Then you can either puree the whole mess, strain it or just leave the bits of veggie in there.... Then start spooning in the pumpkin or squash puree and tasting.... I also like some canned green chilis for a bit of bite.....and a splash of dry sherry.....and I often stir in some sour cream. The thin consistancy of the soup meant there was a lot more chicken broth than squash. Linda C
    ...See More

RECIPE: Recipe - Sensational Squash Soup

Q

Comments (2)
    Can't wait to try this one! I love the Butternut Squash soup that I make, but I'm always ready to try something new! Different is a good thing, IMO! Thanks!
    ...See More

Can I freeze this butternut squash soup?

Q

Comments (6)
    Freezes great. May look a bit different when thawed, meaning not your first soup, but it might need a wiz in the blender or a stick blender. I like to heat and blend with something fresh like parsley or cilantro, or a topping of yogurt mixed with a bit of feta or goat cheese. No need really but just to boost the freezer flavor if it gets a bit separated. Usually heat in a sauce pan takes care of that. Some nice toasted croutons or toasted slices of bread. Even just a half cup of milk or coconut milk adds a nice flavor boost. Freeze in pint containers so you get more meals out of it.
    ...See More

What to serve with Butternut Squash Soup?

Q

Comments (10)
    I love squash soup, but I think it can be a bit bland, so I like to goose it up a bit with hot sauce or spices. I love cumin with butternut squash. You might incorporate something like that into whatever you decide to make.
    ...See More
  • MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Here is our go to "kicked up" recipe - we use milk to lower the fat.

3 pounds butternut squash, halved and seeded
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 medium onion, sliced
    1 leek, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, sliced
    2 (49.5 fluid ounce) cans chicken broth
    2 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup sherry wine
    1 cup half-and-half cream
    1/2 cup sour cream (optional)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Pour a thin layer of water in a baking dish, or a cookie sheet with sides. Place the squash halves cut side down on the dish. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until a fork can easily pierce the flesh. Cool slightly, then remove the peel. Set aside.

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, leek and garlic, and saute for a few minutes, until tender. Pour the chicken broth into the pot. Add the potatoes, and bring to a boil. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until soft. Add the squash, and mash with the potatoes until chunks are small. Use an immersible hand blender to puree the soup, or transfer to a blender or food processor in batches, and puree until smooth. Return to the pot.

Season the soup with cayenne pepper, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, salt and pepper, then stir in the sherry and half-and-half cream. Heat through, but do not boil. Ladle into bowls, and top with a dollop of sour cream.

• doucanoe
    12 years ago

Simple, but delicious...

Butternut Squash Bisque

1T vegetable oil
    1T butter
    1/2c diced onion
    3/4c diced carrot
    4c peeled and cubed butternut squash
    3c chicken broth
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1/2c heavy cream
    Dash nutmeg

Heat oil and butter in large pot over medium heat, add onion and cook until tender.

Add carrots and squash to pot, pour in broth, add salt, pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender.

Transfer to food processor and puree until smooth. Return to pot and stir in cream. Heat through but do not boil. Serve warm with dash of nutmeg.

Linda

• lorijean44
    12 years ago

This is my favorite squash soup. It's creamy with no cream. Delicious.

Roasted Squash Soup with Port

1 butternut squash (4-5 lbs), halved and seeded
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 Idaho potato, peeled and chopped
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    1/3 cup whole cloves garlic (about 6 medium cloves)
    6 - 8 cups chicken stock
    1/4 cup ruby port
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish (optional)

Preheat the oven to 450 F.

Brush the cut surfaces of the squash with 2 tablespoons of the oil and bake on a cookie sheet until tender, about 45 minutes. Let cool and scrape out the flesh into a bowl.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a soup pot over high heat until hot. Add the potato, onion, and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add 6 cups of the stock and bring to a boil. Stir in the cooked squash, port, and allspice, and cook at a low simmer for 40 minutes.

Puree the hot soup in a blender in batches, filling the container only half full each time. Blend on low speed and be sure to hold the lid down firmly. Pour the soup back into the pot set over low heat. (I use a stick blender directly in the pot.) Add additional stock if necessary to arrive at the desired consistency. Add salt and pepper. Swirl in the butter.

Serve in soup bowls and garnish with the pumpkin seeds.

Source: Newman's Own Cookbook, copyright 1998

Lori

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

I have several recipes but I love, love, love this one. In fact, I just bought two HUGE squashes so I can make a large pot of it and freeze it.

Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup

3 C. peeled, diced butternut squash (1 small squash)
    2 C. thinly sliced carrots (4 Medium)
    3/4 C. thinly sliced leeks or chopped onion
    1 T. butter
    2 14 oz. cans low sodium chicken broth
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp. fresh ground nutmeg
    1/4 C half and half or light creamGarnish

creme frache or sour cream (opt.)
    toasted pumpkin seeds (opt.)
    fresh tarragon (opt.)

In large covered saucepan cook squash, carrot and onion in hot butter over medium heat about 8 min. stirring occasionally. Add broth. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer covered for 25 - 35 minutes or until veggies are tender. Cool slightly. Place 1/3 of mixture in food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Repeat with remaining mixture. Return to pot. Add pepper and nutmeg. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and add cream. Heat through. 6 servings.

I use my immersion blender so I forgo the food processor step. If you don't have one, I highly recommend you get one. They're great. I also use onions because that's what I have in the house. I used skim milk in place of cream and added a couple of blobs of sour cream to the soup and blended it in. Delish. I do not bother with the garnishes although for company I might consider it.

• Bizzo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These ALL look awesome. Thank you all for the great ideas!

So far, I've roasted the squash with some chopped onion and garlic. It's now in a small dutch oven and I've got some chopped carrot in pan with vegetable broth and a bit of butter, that I will add to the squash when soft.

Now I have to decide what spice direction I'm going to take it. I figure at the end I'll make the cream/no cream decision (after I attack it with the stick blender) but I'm leaning towards no cream at the moment.

I don't have fresh ginger (or potatoes) in the house right now, and I don't want to substitute ground ginger in Hilary's as I think they taste quite different, so I'm thinking I'll hold Hilary's for later (it sounds great!). OBTW, CC, I actually appreciated the tailoring directions repeated at both the beginning and end! I assumed it probably wasn't intentional, but it was nice to not have to scroll back when i wanted to see your adjustments after reading the epicurious base recipe. :-D

So:
    port, allspice, and pepper?
    nutmeg, ground ginger, and white wine? (I dont have sherry in the house, either, but I think one of my whites might add a nice zing)
    nutmeg and cream?
    or do I adapt the basic process you all have shared (thank you!!) and make it a curry soup?

hmmmm..... decisions, decisions...

• bbstx
    12 years ago

How about bourbon? This is my T&T squash soup:

Butternut Squash and Bourbon Soup

1 to 2 butternut squash (about 4 pounds total)
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 cup diced onions
    1 cup diced leeks
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
    2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1/4 cup bourbon
    1/2 cup dry sherry
    1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    5 cups chicken stock
    3/4 cup evaporated skim milk
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

With a sharp knife, prick the squash in several places to allow steam to escape while it cooks(otherwise it could burst). Place the squash in a baking dish lined with foil and roast for about 90 minutes, until the squash is soft when you push on it. Let cool for 30 minutes, so it's easier to handle, then peel, seed, and remove strings. Cut the roasted squash into 1/2-inch pieces, or scoop meat out with a spoon.

In a heavy soup kettle, heat the olive oil and add the onions. Cook until light golden brown and add the leeks and cumin. Cook for 2 minutes and add the garlic and ginger. When the garlic is fragrant, add the maple syrup, soy sauce, bourbon, sherry and nutmeg. Add the squash and stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook gently for 15 minutes.

Using an immersion blender (or a regular blender), puree the soup until very smooth. Add the evaporated milk, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes; do not bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Serve in soup plates.

If you like, garnish this soup with garlic and Parmesan cheese croutons and a dollop of non fat sour cream

Here is a link that might be useful: Butternut Squash and Bourbon Soup

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

We love Ina Garten's Roasted Butternut Squash Soup - easy and uses no cream. I use homemade chicken or turkey stock.
    Serve with a warm crusty multi grain bread - yum

Ingredients
    For the Soup:

3 to 4 pounds butternut squash, peeled
    and seeded
    2 yellow onions
    2 McIntosh apples, peeled and cored
    3 tablespoons good olive oil
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 to 4 cups chicken stock, preferably
    homemade
    1/2 teaspoon good curry powder

For the Condiments:

Scallions, white and green parts, trimmed and sliced diagonally
    Flaked sweetened coconut, lightly toasted
    Roasted salted cashews, toasted and chopped
    Diced banana

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Cut the butternut squash, onions and apples in 1-inch cubes. Place them on a sheet pan and toss with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Divide the squash mixture between 2 sheet pans and spread it in a single layer. Roast for 35 to 45 minutes, until very tender.

Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock to a simmer. When the vegetables are done, put them through a food mill fitted with the medium blade. (Alternatively, you can place the roasted vegetables in batches in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add some of the chicken stock and coarsely puree.) When all of the vegetables are processed, place them in a large pot and add enough chicken stock to make a thick soup. Add the curry powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Taste for seasonings to be sure there's enough salt and pepper to bring out the curry flavor. Reheat and serve hot with condiments either on the side or on top of each serving.

Recipe from Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics. Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butternut Squash Soup

• ynnej
    12 years ago

I hate squash but want so badly to enjoy it. I think if there's any hope, it will be in soup form. I will have to try one of these, subbing veg broth, of course.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I make a very different squash/pumpkin soup. No sugar, no ginger, no cinnamon.
    Sautee a medium onion and 2 or 3 celery stalks chopped fine in 2 t olive oil
    When they are soft but not brown, add 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, chopped and sautee another 3 minutes or so.
    Add a quart of chicken broth
    Add 2 cups of cubed cooked squash
    Cover and simmer until all is very soft.....about an hour. Then I usually hit it with a stick blender.
    Add 2 cups milk and a 3 oz package of cream cheese, heat and stir until cheese melts, add a small can of drained chopped green chilis, and some ground red pepper....to taste.
    Garnish with a little chopped fresh cilantro and chopped green onions.
    Sometimes I omit the cilantro and add about 1/4 cup of sherry to the pot before serving.

• jessicavanderhoff
    12 years ago

I like a savory version, so I make mine with sage and cream cheese. Whatever you do, I'm sure it'll be great!

• Solsthumper
    12 years ago

I'm probably too late, but maybe you could try it another time.

This is a Butternut Squash and Pear Soup we really like.

Sol

• woodie
    12 years ago

Sol, you're adorable!

Here's another one for the archives. I made this recently for a luncheon and it was a hit. It can easily be lightened up by substituting milk for the cream and omitting the creme fraiche garnish, but I must say that the girls loved the creme fraiche in it but the guys did not (I didn't either). I didn't use any pesto either.

Butternut Squash and Lime Soup

1 butternut squash
    1 white onion
    2 cloves garlic
    2 tbsp clear honey
    sprig fresh thyme
    virgin olive oil
    1 oz toasted pine nuts
    17 1/2 fl oz fresh chicken stock
    5 fl oz double cream
    3 limes grated, zest and juice
    salt and pepper
    2 oz creme fraiche
    4 tbsp basil pesto
    fresh basil, torn

Firstly preheat the oven to 400. Peel and dice the butternut squash into 1 inch chunks. Peel and chop the onion and garlic and tip into a large roasting tray together with the squash, honey, thyme and a little olive oil. Roast for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender and brown.
    Meanwhile saute the pine nuts in a little olive oil until golden brown. Remove and leave to one side.
    Once the vegetables are cooked, tip into a blender, add the hot stock to the baking tray and de-glaze. Tip the stock, the cream, lime juice and zest into the blender with the vegetables and blitz. Season well.

Pour into a pan and heat through gently. Check seasoning.
    To serve, pour into the bowl, top with a spoonful of creme fraiche, a drizzle of pesto, some pine nuts and a scattering of torn basil.

• Solsthumper
    12 years ago

Compliments? This early in the day?

Woodie, I think even my heart stuttered.

Sol

• caflowerluver
    12 years ago

If you want to cut a lot of the calories but still have it creamy use pureed steamed cauliflower or plain mashed potatoes.
    Clare